Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Continuing the ol' thread...

Just received: the 7th, VPO Boulez. Will listen to it in the next few weeks (so many more to listen to ::)

MishaK

Glad this thread has been continued. Is that 7th a new recording?

Lilas Pastia

I believe it's this one:

QuoteBoulez         Vienna Philharmonic Orch. 5/6/05 Karna Musik CD KA 195M .......... 59:00 - 18:37 19:02  8:23 12:28
(from John Berky's discography)

I just got the disc by itself, no notes, covers, in an anonymous brown envelope 8). Who knows where it hails from exactly... I only hope it's not conducted by  René Köhler. I'd hate to have a Hatto pulled on me ;D

not edward

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM
Continuing the ol' thread...

Just received: the 7th, VPO Boulez. Will listen to it in the next few weeks (so many more to listen to ::)
I didn't know this was coming out. I heard a radio aircheck of a Boulez 7th which I thought was absolutely outstanding, except for a slightly lightweight first movement, so I guess that's another $20 of mine going to the pockets of Universal. :D
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

mahlertitan

just a question not related to the main topic. out of pure curiosity, why is that only males seem to enjoy the music of Bruckner?

MishaK

Quote from: mahlertitan on April 06, 2007, 09:35:22 AM
just a question not related to the main topic. out of pure curiosity, why is that only males seem to enjoy the music of Bruckner?

Speak for yourself. My wife loves Bruckner. One of our first dates was Bruckner 7th with Chailly/Concertgebouw.  :D

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on April 06, 2007, 10:29:19 AM
Speak for yourself. My wife loves Bruckner. One of our first dates was Bruckner 7th with Chailly/Concertgebouw.  :D

What an absolutely sublime-sounding date. 

--Bruce

Drasko

Quote from: edward on April 06, 2007, 09:04:48 AM
I didn't know this was coming out. I heard a radio aircheck of a Boulez 7th which I thought was absolutely outstanding, except for a slightly lightweight first movement, so I guess that's another $20 of mine going to the pockets of Universal. :D

I don't think it's coming out (at least I don't know anything about it). I believe all of us are listening to Austrian Radio digital airchecks. But if DG has the rights I hope they release it, fantastic performance.

mahlertitan

Quote from: O Mensch on April 06, 2007, 10:29:19 AM

u r a lucky dude.

Burchest

Quote from: MahlerTitan on April 06, 2007, 09:35:22 AM

My wife has enjoyed Bruckner for years.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MahlerTitan on April 06, 2007, 09:35:22 AM

Mrs. Rock enjoys Bruckner.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lilas Pastia

Heard this week:

Symphony no 5
. Otmar  Suitner, Berlin Staatskapelle (Berlin Classics, 1990 recording). And another one by the BRSO under Sawallisch (Orfeo). I slightly prefer Suitner's orchestra and Berlin Classics' fabulous recording job. The maestro has some peculiar ideas about tempo, but in the end he carries the day with a very convincing performance. The Sawallisch is clearly more mainstream in terms of conception. An almost straussian reading (late Strauss, that is: Capriccio, not Frau ohne Schatten). Clear-headed, with incisive rythms and quite transparent textures. But slightly less well played and recorded. Not that it's deficient in any way, but the Berlin version is truly outstanding.

MishaK

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 18, 2007, 12:16:33 PM
Heard this week:

Symphony no 5
. Otmar  Suitner, Berlin Staatskapelle (Berlin Classics, 1990 recording). And another one by the BRSO under Sawallisch (Orfeo). I slightly prefer Suitner's orchestra and Berlin Classics' fabulous recording job. The maestro has some peculiar ideas about tempo, but in the end he carries the day with a very convincing performance. The Sawallisch is clearly more mainstream in terms of conception. An almost straussian reading (late Strauss, that is: Capriccio, not Frau ohne Schatten). Clear-headed, with incisive rythms and quite transparent textures. But slightly less well played and recorded. Not that it's deficient in any way, but the Berlin version is truly outstanding.

OK, I'm intrigued. I have heard great things about Suitner's Bruckner 4th as well and there seems to be an 8th as well. Unfortunately, none of the three are available at amazon. Where do can you get this stuff?

Lilas Pastia

I also have the 8th, with the same orchestra. However it is markedly inferior in sound -live from the Konzerthaus, Berlin vs the commercial 4 and 5 from Berlin's Christuskirche. Berlin Classics discs are easily obtainable in record stores here (Montreal), but I got the 8th from the Weitblick label at BRO (still available right now).

Drasko

Quote from: O Mensch on April 18, 2007, 12:32:01 PM
OK, I'm intrigued. I have heard great things about Suitner's Bruckner 4th as well and there seems to be an 8th as well. Unfortunately, none of the three are available at amazon. Where do can you get this stuff?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Symphony-No-4-Anton/dp/B0001IPC04

MishaK

CDjapan has a Bruckner 4 with Kertesz/LSO. Does anyone know anything about this recording? Is it any good?

vandermolen

Just bought Rozhdestvensky performing Bruckner Symphony 3 on Revelation which I thought excellent.  V interesting to hear a Russian orchestra play Bruckner (I also like my Svetlanov recording of Elgar Symphony 2)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MishaK

In addition to my questions regarding Kertesz, could anyone please recommend to me what are the best recordings of Asahina doing Bruckner? I was told there are good performances with Osaka, but at CDJapan I can only find recordings with Tokyo. There also seems to be a (absurdly expensive) DVD with the CSO. Thanks in advance.

Lilas Pastia

I've not heard the Kertesz LSO for myself, but have seen reviews that differ markedly. An old Penguin guide describes Kertesz as "the master of the long crescendo", and his account to be "the most dramatic of all (this review dates from at least 30 years though)" American Record Guide acknowledges it is sometimes highly regarded, but refers to it as being "simply too fast. Much is lost that way".

It is from 1965 and playing and recording are referred to (Penguin again) as "magnificent". I'd never buy at testament's price, though. Keep in mind that for a long time it was found on a super budget lp (Decca's Ace of Diamonds series). Maybe if Decca would include it in a Kertesz box, though ::). He was a very fine conductor.

I believe someone here has a few Asahinas and could give you some input.

Danny

Just bought (an am liking) Bruckner's Fifth conducted by Welser-Most with the LSO.  I hear some hate this disc--and perhaps there are betters out there--but for the price I paid I cannot make any objections about its worth. 

Overall, I think its a very good interpretation and I especially love the first two movements.