Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin (+ 1 Hidden) and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Scarpia

Quote from: jlaurson on April 25, 2010, 10:05:34 AM
...and has been, for what... 10 years now?

It entered the Sony family, along with DHM (Deutsche Harmonia Mundi) when BMG and Sony 'merged'.

BMG and Sony merged?  (Oh dear, I'm out of the loop.)

Odd that Sony charges top dollar for SACD on their own label but mid-price on RCA. 

Kaiser

I've been really getting into Bruckner for a while now. I was initially hooked in by the 4th Symphony and have been cobbling together various other Symphonies. I haven't made it through all of his symphonies, but I was hung up on his 3rd for awhile. Today I got a copy of the 3rd by the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Hartmut Haenchen (I think someone on this forum gave it a good review and I bought it for that reason). I have to say, this was the first one that clicked for me. Bruckner's music strikes me as very emotional, but not at all sentimental. And oddly addictive!
-------- Chris
"Music is organized sound" - Edgard Varese

Brahmsian

Bruckner's 7th, has been up to this point, one of my least favorite of his symphonies.  I would say I liked it, but just never fell in love with it like every other symphony (except the 6th is also in the 'like' category).

However, this my have just changed with the 7th.  I was really swept away by Giulini and Wiener Philharmoniker on DG (1987), tested from the library.  Particularly, the first two movements.  The Adagio struck me just like so many people say are struck by.  It was just such a joyful, sublime experience with this recording.

Now that so many people list the Giulini/WP recording of the 9th as their favorite 9th, I'm dying to hear it!  :)

Lethevich

You have a good time ahead of you, those Giulini studio recordings are magical. Just avoid the non-DG stuff unless it's well-reviewed - a couple of live archival releases I've heard have been mediocre.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Renfield

Quote from: Lethe on May 01, 2010, 08:01:41 PM
You have a good time ahead of you, those Giulini studio recordings are magical. Just avoid the non-DG stuff unless it's well-reviewed - a couple of live archival releases I've heard have been mediocre.

Yep. That said, the newish Testament ones seem to be quite great, at least as per the International Record Review.

Daverz

Quote from: Renfield on May 01, 2010, 08:09:05 PM
Yep. That said, the newish Testament ones seem to be quite great, at least as per the International Record Review.

They also got a very positive review in ARG.  "Top notch" sound as well according to the reviewer.

Lethevich

I recall one of the ones that could do with avoiding was with a pickup orchestra, the "World Philharmonic" or somesuch - scrappy and bland. The Testament ones sound intriguing, though.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethe on May 02, 2010, 01:46:06 AM
I recall one of the ones that could do with avoiding was with a pickup orchestra, the "World Philharmonic" or somesuch - scrappy and bland. The Testament ones sound intriguing, though.

Oh, ick... yes... I reviewed his 8th with that orchestra (on DVD). http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2007/01/bruckner-on-dvd-carlo-maria-giulini-in.html
Not at all a recommendation.

Renfield

If my finances allow it, I am likely to pick up the aforementioned Testament 7th and 8th via MDT, which has them on offer.

Should this happen, I will report back. :)

(Or: I will make a mental note not to misplace the discs while moving around the 'unripped' stacks, then listen to them, then report back. :P A lot of 'I will report back' CDs have gotten lost that way, over the last two years!)

Sergeant Rock

Interesting article in Stereophile about attempts to complete the Ninth's Finale. Reviews of recordings are included. Has anyone heard Peter Jan Marthé's Bruckner CDs?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Wanderer

Intriguing, indeed. I have the Harnoncourt issue since it was first released (according to the article, more autograph pages of the finale have surfaced since) and I would love to listen to some of the completions mentioned. Any information regarding the more arcane items would be greatly appreciated.

PS. From the description, Marthé sounds like Nemtin on steroids (if possible).

Daverz

Quote from: kentel on March 05, 2010, 12:05:58 PM
There is a ninth by Schuricht with the Stuttgart RSO in this 4cd box set  : maybe something has been said about this recording here but I couldn't find it.

Why would anyone want that when there is a beautiful stereo recording with the VPO?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Wanderer on May 16, 2010, 11:04:43 PM
Intriguing, indeed. I have the Harnoncourt issue since it was first released (according to the article, more autograph pages of the finale have surfaced since) and I would love to listen to some of the completions mentioned. Any information regarding the more arcane items would be greatly appreciated.

I only own Harnoncourt's recording of the fragments. Don't own a completion. I'm interesting in the last recording he reviewed, the one by the Mannheim National Theater Orchestra. It's out of stock at www.abruckner.com but I live just twenty miles from the orchestra's home; I'm going to call them and see if the disc can be purchased directly from them.

QuotePS. From the description, Marthé sounds like Nemtin on steroids (if possible).

I listened to clips at Amazon. Marthé sounds slower than Celibidache! Apparently he's made his own edit of the Third, incorporating all the versions, placed the Scherzo second. This ain't Anton but might be fun to hear.

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Daverz on May 16, 2010, 11:13:01 PM
Why would anyone want that when there is a beautiful stereo recording with the VPO?

The Bosch-Aachen set has a 'complete' 9th in modern Super Audio CD sound.

CD (Amazon.com)

mp3

CD (Germany)

CD (UK)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on May 17, 2010, 02:51:07 AM
The Bosch-Aachen set has a 'complete' 9th in modern Super Audio CD sound.

It's readily available too. Howerver, the reviewer at Stereophile didn't like it: "And while the high-resolution sound is rich and lush, the acoustic of the sizable sanctuary in which this concert performance was too distantly miked, in combination with tempos too fast for the space as well as the music, result in a muddy, swimmy sound in which entire choirs of trombones or Wagner tubas are buried, virtually unheard under mounting layers of reverberation."

Have you heard it, Jens? Do you have a different opinion?

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 17, 2010, 03:15:31 AM
It's readily available too. Howerver, the reviewer at Stereophile didn't like it: "And while the high-resolution sound is rich and lush, the acoustic of the sizable sanctuary in which this concert performance was too distantly miked, in combination with tempos too fast for the space as well as the music, result in a muddy, swimmy sound in which entire choirs of trombones or Wagner tubas are buried, virtually unheard under mounting layers of reverberation."

Have you heard it, Jens? Do you have a different opinion?

Sarge

I have it; listened to it a few times, but not with particular care. Mainly to get an idea about the Finale. I found it neither bad nor immediately meriting enthusiasm [like P.Jaervi's 9th--sans 4th mvt.], but I'll make note of it, once I've listened to it again.

helios

Hi - quick question.  Have only gotten into Bruckner lately.   I've been listening to the 8th a lot.    Which ones would you recommend listening to next?

thanks $:)

some guy

DavidW

I really like the 4th, try that next. :)

bhodges

Quote from: DavidW on May 17, 2010, 01:13:16 PM
I really like the 4th, try that next. :)

Yes, I'd agree.  Try that one, or No. 7.  But they all have their pleasures. 

--Bruce