Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drasko

Quote from: rubio on June 17, 2007, 12:28:07 PM
Which Matacic recordings can be considered top-notch? I think about ordering his critically acclaimed 7th on Supraphon, but I see there also is an 8th and a 9th available.

Start just with 7th, Czech Philharmonic has very particular sound (brass especially) in Bruckner. It's better to see whether you like it or not on that one before eventually buying more.   

cx

Which Matacic recordings can be considered top-notch?

One of my favorite 3's:

I actually haven't listened to it in some time -- about to change that.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Drasko on June 17, 2007, 10:42:07 AM
And how it came to the light of day you can read all about in this classic whodunnit with elements of Hitchcockian suspense and neo-noirish denial......

Thanks: so Berky confirms, I trust he's done his homework. The orchestration changes Toscanini made seem to me limited to the timpani parts (Finale at two places - very effective!). Anyone spotted other changes?

There are just too many good  - even great - versions of Bruckner symphonies to list all the conductors involved. Schuricht yes, for the VPO 5, and Matacic's 9. But more importantly , I forgot to list my current top 9, Wand NDRSO in Hamburg. I edited my post.

Drasko

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 18, 2007, 04:28:28 AM
Thanks: so Berky confirms, I trust he's done his homework. The orchestration changes Toscanini made seem to me limited to the timpani parts (Finale at two places - very effective!). Anyone spotted other changes?

2nd theme of the 4th movement is given to horn instead of strings. First appearance 1:04-1:21.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Choo Choo on June 17, 2007, 11:33:26 AM
No Schuricht?  :'(

Quote from: Drasko on June 17, 2007, 11:35:37 AM
No Matacic?  :'( :'(

No, I haven't heard these conductors in Bruckner yet. I'll rectify that.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Which Matacic recordings can be considered top-notch? I think about ordering his critically acclaimed 7th on Supraphon, but I see there also is an 8th and a 9th available.

Has anyone here heard Sawallisch Bruckner 5th on Orfeo? It's one of the reference recordings on www.classicstoday.com for this symphony.

I haven't heard his 5th but his 6th is superb.

Sarge

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 18, 2007, 06:04:05 AM

No, I haven't heard these conductors in Bruckner yet. I'll rectify that.

Sarge

You MUST get Schuricht's VPO Bruckner 8th. It's unbelievable. Such energy, such inexorable forward motion.

Steve

Quote from: O Mensch on June 18, 2007, 07:14:06 AM
You MUST get Schuricht's VPO Bruckner 8th. It's unbelievable. Such energy, such inexorable forward motion.

I couldn't imagine being without his 6th. Just an incredible performance.

PerfectWagnerite

Isn't that OOP?

rubio

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 18, 2007, 04:28:28 AM
Matacic's 9. But more importantly , I forgot to list my current top 9, Wand NDRSO in Hamburg. I edited my post.

Which Matacic 9 do you refer to (the NHK or the VPO)? Is it this Wand 9th you mention (from Musikhalle Hamburg)?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

cx

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 18, 2007, 06:05:26 AM
I haven't heard his 5th but his 6th is superb.

Sarge

I also enjoyed his 6th on Orfeo, but found his 9th on Orfeo, which he tries to do similarly (very blended, lush wall of sound), a bore.

Sergeant Rock

I found a used copy for €5.80 from a seller in Germany. Should have it within the week.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

MishaK

Quote from: Steve on June 18, 2007, 07:20:18 AM
I couldn't imagine being without his 6th. Just an incredible performance.

I have his 4th (SWR), 5, 8 & 9 (VPO). With which orchestra did he record the 6th?

Drasko

Quote from: O Mensch on June 18, 2007, 10:00:47 AM
I have his 4th (SWR), 5, 8 & 9 (VPO). With which orchestra did he record the 6th?

None, as far as I know.

Lilas Pastia

There's no Schuricht 6. He's one of those old school conductors who couldn't be bothered with the 'smaller' symphonies ::).

Rubio, my informer  8) tells me this is another avatar of the Wand B9 I talked about. I think it also has his 5th, but I'm not sure which one exactly. I treasure his Hamburg late-seventies one. Go for that set !

Daverz

PerfectWagnerite

looks like Schuricht's B8 is also here:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VBA378MVL._AA240_.jpg

which is also oop in the US >:(

beclemund

Quote from: Heather Harrison on June 14, 2007, 05:18:58 PMAs with No. 7, both have massive nearly-half-hour slow movements which seemed to draw me into their sound world.  While the other movements may have more power and grandeur, it is these slow movements that I find especially appealing.

I can only guess that you would probably very much enjoy Giulini's 8th and 9th (and his 2nd as well) since you have expressed an enjoyment for the slow movements of these pieces. Giulini's expansive readings of these symphonies expose great detail in the slow movements. The Adagio to the 8th is particularly moving. His 2nd is available from Testament and his 8th through Arkiv's OOP reprinting. His 9th is available from DG. Some have stated a preference for his Chicago 9th over the Vienna DG release... the former is still available on a budget box from EMI as well.

That is if you were looking to add more Bruckner to your library. :)
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

beclemund

Quote from: Choo Choo on June 12, 2007, 05:37:08 PMThe problem with these pirate transfers is that they take any old ratty set of 78s, and record them through any old equipment - often without bothering to apply the correct equalisation - or even play them at exactly the right speed - and then try to "process" them with crudely added reverb / bass lift / treble cut / whatever - and the result is, generally, unlistenable.

Fortunately that 1936 Böhm / Dresden #4 exists in a superb transfer on Dutton - who appear to have taken a virgin set of shellacs and read them with a laser rather than a pickup - and the result is remarkable for its age.

Thank you again for this information, Choo Choo. The Dutton transfer arrived in the mail yesterday and I have had the pleasure of listening through it several times now. It is certainly a far better performance than I gave it credit upon listening to the poorer, pirate transfer earlier. While I still enjoy the broader VPO recording from the early 70s, this one is a fine performance with great sound for its age. I am glad you followed up my post with your thoughtful response.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus