Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

MishaK

I listened to the entire Inbal cycle on Spotify a while back (in high quality sound of course) and have heard him do no.9 in person (with WDR SO). His takes on the early symphonies are very special. Inbal's 0 and his recordings of the first versions of 3 and 4 belong in every collection and in terms of sheer conviction of the interpretation, passion and spontaneity of the performance and faith in these early versions as masterpieces in themselves, these performances are far superior to any more recent recordings by the likes of Young, Tintner, Davies, Nagano. That said, I don't think you really need to own the entire cycle (especially if you're also considering acquiring Skro and Chailly). Inbal's 3 and 4 at least can be had on very inexpensive Warner single issues and some of the others can be found used. The rest of the cycle (like the 9 that I heard live) is simply very very good without being truly exceptional in a crowded field. You could perfecly enjoy these recordings for a while on their own merits. But if you own multiple cycles, I doubt you would be returning to Inbal's 5-9 very often the way you would with the sweeping performances of Chailly who has much better orchestras at his disposal, or the superdetailed performances of Skro that yield new discoveries on every new listening.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 13, 2013, 07:51:39 PM
Symphony no 6 in A major
Eschenbach/Houston or London Phil (1881)
Dohnanyi/Cleveland O. (1881)
Norrington/Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra (1881)
- Along with the 3rd, I found immense pleasure in becoming re-acquainted with the 6th. I still believe it contains the greatest moment of Bruckner's compositional career within the closing minutes of the opening Maestoso. These three (or four) choices couldn't be any more different. Eschenbach is great with both Houston or London Phil, but my purpose for choosing both is for his interpretation of the 6th, which both groups convey. Eschenbach takes many liberties with this music, stretching out key phrases and themes, and giving the 6th an overall grandiose feel. Dohnanyi and Cleveland are clean, crisp and perfectly balanced. And look, it's everyone's favorite crazy Uncle Roger. I'm a paying member of the Norrington fan club, but find this to be his  only success of his Bruckner series. Norrington zips through this piece, especially the finale, (12:39 compared to Dohnanyi 14:47, Eschenbach LPO 15:27) but he keeps it together and strongly convinces with his tempi. And kudos to the Stuttgart players, they keep up without ever missing a beat, literally  ;D and it's a live performance!

I'm gonna have to throw two more into the mix, Blomstedt/SFS and Barenboim/BPO. I'm starting to realize that the 6th might be my overall favorite from Anton, or at least it's been the one I've listened to the most the past month. Blomstedt/SFS is similar in style to Dohnanyi, SFS sounds a bit bolder and the horns are slightly more prominent which is beneficial when the horns and trumpets/trombones play off each other. The Barenboim/BPO 6th is a beast, just like their other Teldec Bruckner recordings, heavy in tone and quite hasty but never dull.

MishaK

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 18, 2013, 01:19:14 PM
I'm gonna have to throw two more into the mix, Blomstedt/SFS and Barenboim/BPO. I'm starting to realize that the 6th might be my overall favorite from Anton, or at least it's been the one I've listened to the most the past month. Blomstedt/SFS is similar in style to Dohnanyi, SFS sounds a bit bolder and the horns are slightly more prominent which is beneficial when the horns and trumpets/trombones play off each other. The Barenboim/BPO 6th is a beast, just like their other Teldec Bruckner recordings, heavy in tone and quite hasty but never dull.

You should also throw in Skrowaczewski, the earlier Barenboim/CSO and (surprise!) Muti/BPO. A few other worthy 6ths to consider.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: MishaK on March 18, 2013, 01:28:20 PM
You should also throw in Skrowaczewski, the earlier Barenboim/CSO and (surprise!) Muti/BPO. A few other worthy 6ths to consider.

Three I have yet to hear, but on my to-do list now.
Thanks, MishaK.  ;)

TheGSMoeller

Would also like to give a little attention to Nagano's 6th. Could use a little more muscle, but the melodies truly sing and Nagano does offer a unique taste of Bruckner's music without disrespecting.

Octave

Thanks for your help, MishaK!
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: MishaK on February 22, 2013, 10:09:35 AM
I highly recommend you take a very good listen to Skrowaczewski's cycle. You will not only hear cartloads of detail you never knew existed....you will also hear how those details fit in with an organic whole that isn't pasted together from blocks. Also, you will hear a true master conductor whip a nominally third rate orchestra into orchestral performances that need not fear comparison with Berlin or Amsterdam. It's simply musicianship on a different level.

+1 Just heard Skrowaczewski's 5th on Spotify. Phenomenal.
And MishaK is right. For example, the finale's coda sounded completely fresh with Skrowaczewski's special detailing (wait, there are woodwinds playing in the coda?  ;) ) Quickly purchased a hard copy for my library. The other 5ths on my shelf will have to make room for this one, Skrowaczewski is joining with a bold statement.

MishaK

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 22, 2013, 04:51:47 PM
(wait, there are woodwinds playing in the coda?  ;) )

Exactly! I keep having experiences like that with Skro. Wonderful, isn't it?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 22, 2013, 04:51:47 PM
+1 Just heard Skrowaczewski's 5th on Spotify. Phenomenal.
And MishaK is right. For example, the finale's coda sounded completely fresh with Skrowaczewski's special detailing (wait, there are woodwinds playing in the coda?  ;) ) Quickly purchased a hard copy for my library. The other 5ths on my shelf will have to make room for this one, Skrowaczewski is joining with a bold statement.

Quote from: MishaK on March 25, 2013, 06:01:53 AM
Exactly! I keep having experiences like that with Skro. Wonderful, isn't it?

I know The Hurwitzer is a subject of controversy sometimes here at GMG, but i enjoy many of his reviews, and just read this after I praised Skrowaczewski's 5th...

"Perhaps the clearest example of this occurs in the finale of the Fifth Symphony, where in addition to a central fugue of exceptional sharpness and linear drive, Skroweczewski isn't afraid in the final chorale to take the horns up an octave, or to make a dramatic diminuendo at the very end so that the ascending line in the flutes and violins is clearly audible. The result, because of his steady tempos and directional focus, never sounds fussy or mannered. On the contrary, it's thrilling, and this account of the Fifth's last movement is one of the very few that achieves a feeling of finality right at the very last chord rather than pages before."  - David Hurwitzer

Karl Henning

The Hurwitzer is of greater interest (IMO) when he speaks well of a recording.  I've found him an untrustworthy whinger, when it's a matter of his distaste for a recording. FWIW . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2013, 03:55:35 AM
The Hurwitzer is of greater interest (IMO) when he speaks well of a recording.  I've found him an untrustworthy whinger, when it's a matter of his distaste for a recording. FWIW . . . .

Very true, his negative comments seem more along the lines of personal distaste than technical. Which is not to say that a reviewer can't include his personal taste, but (I would like to see them) back it up with more.

Cato

I recently introduced a grade-school acquaintance to Bruckner's Seventh Symphony:

QuoteI wanted to tell you that I listened to the first half of Bruckner's 7th Symphony.  My, that is a powerful collection!  I was baking while I listened to it.  Just when you think it is getting quiet, it "jumps"out at you!  I can see why you like Bruckner's music.  Thank you for sharing it with me.  And I will listen to the rest of the cd hopefully sometime soon.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Octave

Quote from: Cato on March 29, 2013, 05:18:47 PM
I recently introduced a grade-school acquaintance to Bruckner's Seventh Symphony:

That is so great.  I envy that kid!  BTW, does 'baking' mean something different to kids nowadays than it meant to kids of my generation and probably the generation before that, and before that?

Cato

Quote from: Octave on March 29, 2013, 05:29:25 PM
That is so great.  I envy that kid!  BTW, does 'baking' mean something different to kids nowadays than it meant to kids of my generation and probably the generation before that, and before that?

0:)  No, the grade-school acquaintance is now a grandmother!  Not an acquaintance from my present grade school, but from c. 55 years ago!  I should have made that clear!

So "baking" is baking, as in cookies!  Those curious brownies one hears about would not be involved!   0:)

We welcome all to Bruckner, no matter how late in life it may be!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Octave

Jeje, sorry, I'm so lumpen.   8)

Beorn

Quote from: Cato on March 29, 2013, 05:34:55 PM
So "baking" is baking, as in cookies!  Those curious brownies one hears about would not be involved!   0:)

TheGSMoeller

Any known sites that have some samples? I'm a huge fan of Venzago's disc of the 4th and 7th, and would love to hear his take on the 3rd and 6th.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Karl Henning

Sarge, any thoughts yet on "the Cincinnati Sixth"?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot