20th-century British symphonies: Recommendations

Started by schnittkease, June 25, 2019, 05:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

Quote from: ritter on June 26, 2019, 12:54:44 PM
And keeping to the Schoenberg-descended style, the symphonies of Roberto Gerhard were all composed after he emigrated to England, and can be thus considered "British". There's four numbered ones, plus the earlier Sinfonía "Homenaje a Pedrell" (which is actually very Spanish). Paul Conway wrote a detailed, very interesting article on them for MusicWeb International.

Yes, I know and love Gerhard's symphonies. I suppose I never properly introduced myself on this forum!—my favorite composers include Schnittke, Ligeti, Lutosławski, Bartók, Schubert, etc.

I've just heard the first four Arnold symphonies on YouTube. In general, I think that the fast movements are too jumpy and that his themes are rather banal-sounding. Take the 'ballroom melody' in #4 mov. 1, which is pretty but doesn't seem to gel well with a dramatic, percussive beginning. The slow movements, however, are very good (I love the regular use of that harp).

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on June 25, 2019, 06:09:43 PM
Several of the works in this Membran set might be of interest. I was  particularly  impressed by Bush

Under $14 for 10 CDs on Amazon Marketplace.  Really a no-brainer.

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on June 26, 2019, 04:35:51 PM
Under $14 for 10 CDs on Amazon Marketplace.  Really a no-brainer.

I should warn you that the Elgar CD is sort of meh, the Delius CD can be thrown out in the garbage, and I have no memory of the RVW CD. The rest however was at minimum pretty decent music making.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on June 26, 2019, 05:12:58 PM
I should warn you that the Elgar CD is sort of meh, the Delius CD can be thrown out in the garbage, and I have no memory of the RVW CD. The rest however was at minimum pretty decent music making.

Yeah, at that price a few stinkers is not a problem.

TD: Hoddinott, Symphony No. 6

A fine 20-minute, single movement symphony, beautifully recorded here.

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on June 26, 2019, 04:26:21 PM
Hmmmm...I could see some symphonies by Vaughan Williams, Rubbra, Wordsworth, Berkeley, and Rawsthorne fitting your description. But I often find the symphonies of Arnold, Alwyn, Bax, Benjamin, Moeran, Leighton, Lloyd, Walton, and others to be as viscerally exciting and powerful as anything else in the repertoire.
I said many, not all. :) I also said I like Alwyn, Lloyd, Walton, and some Moeran.

kyjo

Quote from: schnittkease on June 26, 2019, 04:31:11 PM
I've just heard the first four Arnold symphonies on YouTube. In general, I think that the fast movements are too jumpy and that his themes are rather banal-sounding. Take the 'ballroom melody' in #4 mov. 1, which is pretty but doesn't seem to gel well with a dramatic, percussive beginning. The slow movements, however, are very good (I love the regular use of that harp).

Before you give up on Arnold, do try the 5th Symphony, which is his masterwork IMO.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

Quote from: kyjo on June 27, 2019, 06:06:16 AM
Before you give up on Arnold, do try the 5th Symphony, which is his masterwork IMO.

+1

Arnold is sometimes made to sound banal by overly 'straight' conductors. To experience his music by the composer himself is to enter into an entirely different world, a voyage into darkness and shadows. Arnold conducts his symphonies and overtures (tone poems really) much slower than other conductors - and presumably in flagrant contradiction with his own tempo or metronome markings. Far from experiencing mere lightness, one enters Arnold's own unbearable lghtness of being. It's obviously not the only way to play his music, but I find it an engrossing - if sometimes heavy and depressing - experience.

Maestro267

Quote from: JBS on June 26, 2019, 05:12:58 PM
the Delius CD can be thrown out in the garbage,

Give "On the Mountains", the 15-minute tone poem a go first though. I've found that to be a real gem from this fantastic box set. Initially, I had it confused with the instrumental opening section to Part 2 of A Mass of Life, but it is its own stand-alone work.

JBS

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 27, 2019, 09:21:25 AM
Give "On the Mountains", the 15-minute tone poem a go first though. I've found that to be a real gem from this fantastic box set. Initially, I had it confused with the instrumental opening section to Part 2 of A Mass of Life, but it is its own stand-alone work.

Nothing can make amends for that awful Paa Vidernne melodrama. I am not keen on works of that type, but the oversentimental text is only made more bathetic by the narrator's tone of voice.

BTW, there might be some confusion here.  The EMI Delius box has a recording of On the Mountains by Beecham, bit gives it the subtitle Paa Vidernne, and has no trace I can see of the melodrama recorded by Bostock.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on June 26, 2019, 10:43:51 AM
Count me in as another admirer of Macmillan's 4th (I haven't yet heard the others). It contains more "modernist", dissonant passages alongside sections of poignant, lyrical beauty.
Yes, that's a very nice description of the Macmillan Myle. It was recommended by the Head of Music at the school where I work. He lent me the CD and it was something of a revelation.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on June 26, 2019, 05:19:02 PM
Yeah, at that price a few stinkers is not a problem.

TD: Hoddinott, Symphony No. 6

A fine 20-minute, single movement symphony, beautifully recorded here.
My favourite of the Hoddinitt symphonies and the most approachable. Leighton's Third Symphony, also on Chandos, is a poignant, poetic and lyrical work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

schnittkease

Quote from: kyjo on June 27, 2019, 06:06:16 AM

I don't intend to give up just yet! I'll give the composer's interpretation a listen.

vandermolen

Quote from: schnittkease on June 27, 2019, 04:27:12 PM
I don't intend to give up just yet! I'll give the composer's interpretation a listen.
It's a fine work and the only one I've seen live, at a birthday concert for MA.