Gianni Schicchi recommendations

Started by KevinP, June 08, 2019, 04:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

Just realised that the only version of this I have, apart from recital excerpts, is the Naxos.

What am I missing?

JBS

You are missing...Il Tabarro and Suor Angelica.

IOW,  get the complete Il Trittico, because the other two parts are well worth hearing (Tabarro more than Angelica, it must be admitted).   The one with Tito Gobbi would probably best mesh with your interest in GS.

I have the Naxos. I haven't listened to it in some time, but I remember thinking it was very well done.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Tsaraslondon

Gobbi recorded it twice. The first, though stereo, is coupled with mono versions of Il Tabarro and Suor Angelica.

The second is part of Maazel's Puccini series and was recorded almost twenty years later.

I have both recordings, and they are both excellent, though I marginally prefer the earlier Gianni Schicchi for the more characterful supporting cast. Swings and roundabouts on the other operas. Scotto and Domingo are preferable to Mas and Prandelli in Il Tabarro, but Gobbi's Michele is a towering performance. Both Suor Angelicas are very good but very different. De Los Angeles is perhaps the more conventionally sweet Angelica, but Scotto and Maazel between them turn the opera into a much more psychologially complex piece. I actually prefer their approach, as it vitiates the sugary sentimentality, but De Los Angeles is hard to resist.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

KevinP

I do indeed need Il Trittico.

The EMI is OOP but still cheap. Will go to the CD store probably today and see what they have (though I suspect if they had any copy I'd've probably already purchased it). If nothing, I'll go for one of these.

Agree the Naxos is actually pretty good.

Thanks.

KevinP

Quote from: KevinP on June 09, 2019, 06:06:37 PM
The EMI is OOP but still cheap. Will go to the CD store probably today and see what they have (though I suspect if they had any copy I'd've probably already purchased it). If nothing, I'll go for one of these.

The EMI finally arrived. That took a really long time.