The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on September 02, 2020, 09:44:23 AM
First The Mail and now The Express gets the knives out for Boris. I wonder if the Tory press will swing to Starmer's Labour, which is, after all, quite tory.

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1330470/prime-ministers-questions-PMQs-Boris-Johnson-keir-starmer-exams-brexit
V interesting the Express article. Thanks for posting it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Post deleted because source could not be verified.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

BoJo is having people talk to the tabloids about how he's barely able to afford a nanny on the PM salary.

Not for himself, but for the baby, of course.

Mandryka

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-10-02/getting-r-number-below-one-key-to-lifting-north-west-restrictions-prime-minister-tells-itv-news

He's deeply unimpressive on this interview. Embarrassing, cringe making, to watch. Aaah, the pain . . . the only thing to do . . . is drink

Mandryka

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on January 04, 2021, 10:58:57 AM

Funny yet true.
'What the British people really want...' could be added to the list.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Mandryka

Mandryka

Mandryka

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on February 22, 2021, 07:54:20 AM
This crowdfunding project may be of interest to some

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/spineless-starmer

I'm the least qualified to comment but ditch him and put Angela Rayner in charge.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

vandermolen

I'm not a supporter of the Labour Party but I don't really go along with the criticism of Starmer either. Starmer may come across as low-key compared with the bluster of our Prime Minister but I think that his legalistic approach and apparent integrity may pay off in the long run. Look at Attlee in 1945!

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on February 25, 2021, 01:03:02 PM
I'm not a supporter of the Labour Party but I don't really go along with the criticism of Starmer either. Starmer may come across as low-key compared with the bluster of our Prime Minister but I think that his legalistic approach and apparent integrity may pay off in the long run.

I generally agree with that, though I don't feel I've fully come to a conclusion about him yet. But so far he's seemed reasonable/dependable, which after the disappointingly shifting sands of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership has been a welcome change. The picture may change again I suppose, as the pandemic hopefully recedes in importance.

Quote from: vandermolen on February 25, 2021, 01:03:02 PM
Look at Attlee in 1945!

Indeed, a quiet, modest man with, quipped Churchill rather bitterly, 'much to be modest about'. :laugh:
I always loved that even as prime minister, he drove himself and his wife about in a small car and crossed the park to his club for lunch.

Irons

Before winning over the electorate - a battle for another day - Starmer needs to win over his own party.

It has the feel of Manchester United replacing Fergie and Arsenal replacing Wenger. Corbyn for the bedrock Labour party was a hero. I am not surprised that for electoral reasons they moved to the right but Starmer doesn't seem to have that something that swept Blair to victory and dominating British politics for what, three elections.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on February 26, 2021, 05:41:08 AM
I generally agree with that, though I don't feel I've fully come to a conclusion about him yet. But so far he's seemed reasonable/dependable, which after the disappointingly shifting sands of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership has been a welcome change. The picture may change again I suppose, as the pandemic hopefully recedes in importance.

Indeed, a quiet, modest man with, quipped Churchill rather bitterly, 'much to be modest about'. :laugh:
I always loved that even as prime minister, he drove himself and his wife about in a small car and crossed the park to his club for lunch.

I very much agree with you and also with Lol (Irons).
I also liked the fact that Attlee used to get the last underground train home to Pinner when he was working in Parliament, rather than getting a taxi at taxpayers expense. I did once see the former Liberal leader Jo Grimond on an underground train and my wife saw Boris on the underground train when he was Mayor of London. I also saw, a post-downfall, Jeremy Thorpe (looking very dejected) with his wife once when I took our cat to the vets in South Kensington.

Mandryka

Herman

Mandryka

Mandryka