The Back Room > The Diner

The Boris Johnson thread.

<< < (101/102) > >>

Mandryka:

Let’s call out the Tories’ behaviour for what it is: corruption
Keir Starmer
Conservative support for Owen Paterson is a disgrace. Politics needs to be cleaned up

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/03/call-out-tories-corruption-conservative-owen-paterson-keir-starmer

--- Quote ---I am sick of people skirting around calling this out for what it is: corruption. Paterson was receiving money from a private company to ask questions on its behalf. Roberts was found to have made repeated and unwanted sexual advances toward a young staffer. Both of them should be gone – neither are fit to serve as MPs. Their continued presence in the Tory party is scandalous. It will further undermine public faith in politics at a time when we should be trying to restore decency and honesty”.

“But the rot starts at the top. We have a prime minister whose name is synonymous with sleaze, dodgy deals and hypocrisy. This is the man who allows his ministers to breach with impunity the codes that govern public life; who thinks it should be one rule for him and his chums, another for everyone else.

With his every action he signals to his MPs: do what you like. There are no consequences
--- End quote ---

Irons:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on November 03, 2021, 11:11:19 AM ---

Let’s call out the Tories’ behaviour for what it is: corruption
Keir Starmer
Conservative support for Owen Paterson is a disgrace. Politics needs to be cleaned up

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/03/call-out-tories-corruption-conservative-owen-paterson-keir-starmer

--- End quote ---

At least Owen Paterson fell on his sword* which is more then can be said for Geoffrey Cox who trousered half a million moonlighting using a taxpayer funded office.

*I did not read the Guardian link but I wonder if it saw fit to mention his wife took her own life? Maybe some support is not such a bad thing given the circumstances. :-\ 

Que:
Is all the bluff and bluster finally wearing off?

Ten days that turned Boris Johnson from election winner to political liability

This is the man who wrote two different versions of a newspaper article: one in which he advocated that the UK should remain in the EU, and one in which he supported Brexit. He decided to do the latter and jump on the Brexit bandwagon, just to further his political career. He had no clue what he was getting into, and he stil doesn't. (And neither do most that supported him or Brexit)

So as a politician he doesn't seem principle minded at all: just an old fashioned private boarding school "chum", with connections, lucrative earnings on the side and mistresses...

vandermolen:
I find this whole business infinitely depressing. Johnson is now surrounded by yes men and women (like Andrea Leadsom).
As far as I'm concerned Johnson has no redeeming features whatsoever.

Roasted Swan:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on November 16, 2021, 10:29:53 AM ---I find this whole business infinitely depressing. Johnson is now surrounded by yes men and women (like Andrea Leadsom).
As far as I'm concerned Johnson has no redeeming features whatsoever.

--- End quote ---

Amen to that!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version