The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on June 03, 2022, 04:43:46 AM
The Prime Minister Boris Johnson rriving with wife Carrie at St Paul's Cathedral for the Platinum Thanksgiving Service is booed by some in the crowd

https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1532660093489119233

and they cheered Meghan and Harry.

Do you not think it is only due to the Queen's Jubilee he is still in Office? I do.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 04, 2022, 12:35:16 AM

Do you not think it is only due to the Queen's Jubilee he is still in Office? I do.

Yes
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on June 04, 2022, 12:35:16 AM

No, I think he's still in office because the majority of Tory MPs think he's their best bet in 2024. They may just be right about that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

MusicTurner

And now a Tory vote of confidence for or against him this evening. If there's a yes, he'll be safe from any challenges for at least one year more, it's being reported. He needs 180 votes = 50%. It will be interesting - at least to get the real  numbers.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 06, 2022, 03:20:20 AM
A now a Tory vote of confidence for or against him this evening. If there's a yes, he'll be safe from any challenges for at least one year more, it's being reported. He needs 180 votes = 50%. It will be interesting - at least to get the real  numbers.

I'm pleasantly surprised that at least 54 Tory MPs discovered they had a spine to submit a signed letter to the committee.  However it remains to be seen if when push comes to shove enough will vote to remove him.  My suspicion is they will put their own ongoing political careers above that of the country.

One of the most telling scenes from the Jubilee weekend was Johnson being spontaneously booed by the crowd when he arrived at St. Paul's.  All the.more hilarious when BoJo apologist and lackey Nadine Dorris comically then stated he wasn't being booed.

Also hilarious to see various ministers trotted out this morning to say what fine and strong leader in these difficult time Boris "I've got no strings to hold me up" Johnson is.

With luck the secret ballot will discover another 126 spines.......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 06, 2022, 03:51:03 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised that at least 54 Tory MPs discovered they had a spine to submit a signed letter to the committee.  However it remains to be seen if when push comes to shove enough will vote to remove him.  My suspicion is they will put their own ongoing political careers above that of the country.

One of the most telling scenes from the Jubilee weekend was Johnson being spontaneously booed by the crowd when he arrived at St. Paul's.  All the.more hilarious when BoJo apologist and lackey Nadine Dorris comically then stated he wasn't being booed.

Also hilarious to see various ministers trotted out this morning to say what fine and strong leader in these difficult time Boris "I've got no strings to hold me up" Johnson is.

With luck the secret ballot will discover another 126 spines.......
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on June 05, 2022, 12:28:17 AM
No, I think he's still in office because the majority of Tory MPs think he's their best bet in 2024. They may just be right about that.

I think the precise opposite, but of course I may be wrong and you may be right. I believe he will go.
I don't agree with the echo chamber of vitriol on this thread - say it once it's interesting, after that just boring. Anyway, my reason for wanting him gone is personal - very much against my wife's wishes I insisted we spend Christmas of 2020 alone and not meet up for a traditional family Christmas. Boy was it miserable! After "party gate" I see Johnson at the lectern with the two numties either side imploring us to follow his rules after which it did not cross his mind that the rules also applied to himself. My support for the man turned to dust and am angry still.
As I say, I think he is toast. Whenever a leader is deposed be it Thatcher, May, Corbyn and many others the voting Party swing for the polar opposite Major, Johnson and Starmer a mistake I feel as the country is alternately landed with an extreme or an extremely boring PM. Using this template the next Prime Minister could be Jeremy Hunt. We will see.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

DavidW

Quote from: Irons on June 06, 2022, 06:55:35 AM
After "party gate" I see Johnson at the lectern with the two numties either side imploring us to follow his rules after which it did not cross his mind that the rules also applied to himself. My support for the man turned to dust and am angry still.

The same thing happened with Governor Newsome in California.  He put down really strict rules and then was caught having dinner in a restaurant with a large group without masks (and this was at the height of the pandemic).  One rule for us, and one rule for them apparently.  Save us from hypocritical politicians!

Brian

Voting begins! Results in three hours.

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on June 06, 2022, 06:55:35 AM
I think the precise opposite, but of course I may be wrong and you may be right. I believe he will go.
I don't agree with the echo chamber of vitriol on this thread - say it once it's interesting, after that just boring. Anyway, my reason for wanting him gone is personal - very much against my wife's wishes I insisted we spend Christmas of 2020 alone and not meet up for a traditional family Christmas. Boy was it miserable! After "party gate" I see Johnson at the lectern with the two numties either side imploring us to follow his rules after which it did not cross his mind that the rules also applied to himself. My support for the man turned to dust and am angry still.
As I say, I think he is toast. Whenever a leader is deposed be it Thatcher, May, Corbyn and many others the voting Party swing for the polar opposite Major, Johnson and Starmer a mistake I feel as the country is alternately landed with an extreme or an extremely boring PM. Using this template the next Prime Minister could be Jeremy Hunt. We will see.

I just think that Jeremy Hunt is not a proven campaigner, neither is Sunak. So it's a risk. Johnson is an outstanding campaigner - and in two years partygate will seem like history - just as Covid seems like history now.

(No difference between Hunt and Starmer as far as I can see. I don't know if that would work for or against the tories. Hunt may have his work cut out for him leading the party - the right won't play with him.)

Mandryka

Pound rises as confidence vote looms against PM Johnson

"Stephen Gallo, European head of FX strategy at BMO Capital Markets, said "a Tory leadership change would eliminate (Johnson) as a liability factor for the Tories, reduce the likelihood of a second Scottish independence referendum in 2023, and possibly lead to...higher public sector investment in the economy over the tax and spend approach"."

https://www.reuters.com/markets/cur...ro-before-johnson-confidence-vote-2022-06-06/

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mandryka on June 06, 2022, 10:01:21 AM
I just think that Jeremy Hunt is not a proven campaigner, neither is Sunak. So it's a risk. Johnson is an outstanding campaigner - and in two years partygate will seem like history - just as Covid seems like history now.

(No difference between Hunt and Starmer as far as I can see. I don't know if that would work for or against the tories. Hunt may have his work cut out for him leading the party - the right won't play with him.)

In two years time BoJo will still be a lying self-serving sh*t.

Mandryka

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

MusicTurner

211 vs. 148.

"BC Newsnight @BBCNewsnight · 13. dec. 2018:
"This is a very bad result for the prime minister, 117 votes against her... much worse than she thought" says Jacob Rees-Mogg MP, who insists the result is worse that it looks as an "overwhelming majority of backbenchers have voted against her""

https://twitter.com/yatesco/status/1533894584350257156

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2022, 07:17:15 AM
The same thing happened with Governor Newsome in California.  He put down really strict rules and then was caught having dinner in a restaurant with a large group without masks (and this was at the height of the pandemic).  One rule for us, and one rule for them apparently.  Save us from hypocritical politicians!

Of all stripes!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 06, 2022, 10:07:16 AM
In two years time BoJo will still be a lying self-serving sh*t.

It's all he does.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 06, 2022, 12:09:53 PM
211 vs. 148.

"BC Newsnight @BBCNewsnight · 13. dec. 2018:
"This is a very bad result for the prime minister, 117 votes against her... much worse than she thought" says Jacob Rees-Mogg MP, who insists the result is worse that it looks as an "overwhelming majority of backbenchers have voted against her""

https://twitter.com/yatesco/status/1533894584350257156

Great quote. Mogg claims victory for a worse Johnson result.

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on June 06, 2022, 10:01:21 AM

The invisible man (Hunt) out of the blue is seen as a small but possible threat by those wielding the levers of power behind Johnson. Just to make sure, a ruthless hatchet job on him in today's edition of the Johnson supporting Daily Mail.

I agree with the similarity between Starmer and Hunt. I won't forget. If Johnson is still PM at the next election, of which I have doubts, I probably will vote for him but holding my nose as I do so.