The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 13, 2022, 08:17:28 AM
Proud to see Boris hit the dirt. Such a coward and has done absolutely nothing for the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
Although Johnson is very popular in Ukraine (more so than in Britain I suspect). I dislike Johnson and am glad to see him go but he was instrumental, I think, in sending important military supplies to Ukraine - especially hand-held anti-tank weapons.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2022, 02:16:10 AM
Although Johnson is very popular in Ukraine (more so than in Britain I suspect). I dislike Johnson and am glad to see him go but he was instrumental, I think, in sending important military supplies to Ukraine - especially hand-held anti-tank weapons.

Well said, Jeffrey. Shows a degree of fairness not often seen on this thread. I admire the fact you cannot stand the man but give credit where credit due. For the record I'm glad he is gone.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2022, 08:02:13 AM
Well said, Jeffrey. Shows a degree of fairness not often seen on this thread. I admire the fact you cannot stand the man but give credit where credit due. For the record I'm glad he is gone.
My daughter's Ukrainian friends are very pro-Boris Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Much as I dislike Johnson, he does have a good sense of humour. At his wedding reception the other day he announced that MPs decision to get rid of him was 'the biggest stitch up since the Bayeux Tapestry' that he had received many letters telling him to resign 'mainly from my close family' and that 'opportunities can lead to disaster and disaster can lead to opportunities - including the opportunity for further disasters'.

vandermolen

Well, today is Boris Johnson's last full day as Prime Minister. Since he was forced to resign, he has been on a self-congratulatory tour and holiday. I hope that he never comes back.

However, the decision of the Tory (Conservative) Party to appoint Liz Truss instead of Rishi Sunak as PM may be an example of shooting yourself in the foot. We shall see what happens.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 05, 2022, 10:42:53 AM
Well, today is Boris Johnson's last full day as Prime Minister. Since he was forced to resign, he has been on a self-congratulatory tour and holiday. I hope that he never comes back.

However, the decision of the Tory (Conservative) Party to appoint Liz Truss instead of Rishi Sunak as PM may be an example of shooting yourself in the foot. We shall see what happens.
Afraid that I haven't kept up much lately re Boris and the changing of the guard.  What can you tell me about Liz Truss?  Would be appreciative of some basic "insider" info.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 06, 2022, 02:30:44 AM
Afraid that I haven't kept up much lately re Boris and the changing of the guard.  What can you tell me about Liz Truss?  Would be appreciative of some basic "insider" info.  :)

PD

Boris Johnson without the jokes/references to the Classical World/profound narcissism/inflated sense of self worth but possibly more worryingly Margaret-Thatcher-Lite.  Right down to believing that 1980's style economic theory and political approach has a place in 2020's Britain.  Not sure she has much charisma but look what happened when they elected someone who (allegedly) did.....  One good thing Priti Patel and Kultchah Minister Nadine Dorries have resigned from the Cabinet.  Dorries is "going back to writing books".  Looking to replicate the success of "Are you my Mother?" I assume (best to start with short words).   To be honest the UK is a poisoned chalice for ANY politician right now - Brexit as it impacts on Northern Ireland/travel/imports/the economy still huge before you even start on Ukraine/cost of living/fuel/inflation etc etc.  I think you'd have to be a masochist to think this was the moment to seize the day.......

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 06, 2022, 02:30:44 AM

PD

One thing I can tell you about Liz Truss PD is that she is a year younger then my daughter! I don't know why that shocks me, but it does.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Dorries is going to the House of Lords I expect - another example of cronyism.

I agree with the description of Truss as an 'empty vessel' She possesses the unfortunate combination of huge ambition and lack of talent.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on September 06, 2022, 03:37:28 AM
Dorries is going to the House of Lords I expect - another example of cronyism.

I agree with the description of Truss as an 'empty vessel' She possesses the unfortunate combination of huge ambition and lack of talent.

Oh, what times we do live in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Mandryka

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 06, 2022, 11:28:34 AM
Oh, what times we do live in!

Well he may not be right about Truss. As far as I can see she's a committed principled Thatcherian, she even wrote a book about it a few years ago. Yes, she has changed policies a few times, but that's part of real politics. Where she's changed her ideas it's been about things she probably doesn't care too much about one way or another, like Brexit.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mandryka on September 06, 2022, 07:24:07 PM
things she probably doesn't care too much about one way or another, like Brexit.

That's a chilling sentence.

Irons

I will give anyone a chance and see how it works out before coming to an opinion.

For the first time ever the four great offices of government; Prime Minister, Chancellor, Home Secretary and Health Secretary are not filled by a white man. The one to watch, I think, is Kwasi Kwarteng who is a good shout as the first black PM.

Pohjolas Daughter

Well, thank you for your comments/thoughts.  I do wish the best for you all....plus it's a tiny world; what effects one, effects all.

Wish that we had energy price caps here.  :(

Quote from: Irons on September 06, 2022, 03:07:18 AM
One thing I can tell you about Liz Truss PD is that she is a year younger then my daughter! I don't know why that shocks me, but it does.

I know, I know.  At this end:  the older I get, the younger my doctors are!  :(

Pd
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2022, 05:15:13 AM
Well, thank you for your comments/thoughts.  I do wish the best for you all....plus it's a tiny world; what effects one, effects all.

Wish that we had energy price caps here.  :(

I know, I know.  At this end:  the older I get, the younger my doctors are!  :(

Pd

;D

vandermolen

Mandryka

Come back Boris. Come back Rishi.  We forgive you.

Somebody please tell me that it's not possible to completely fuck a whole G7 country up in five days.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on September 28, 2022, 09:40:57 AM
Come back Boris. Come back Rishi.  We forgive you.

Somebody please tell me that it's not possible to completely fuck a whole G7 country up in five days.

What could have possibly happened to UK in five days that it is now completely screwed?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy