The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: JBS on July 01, 2019, 04:09:10 PM
Boris is at least a little bit better than Donald
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7199469/Johnson-repeats-criticism-Putin-s-claim-liberalism-obsolete.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

I think Johnson has the potential to be - for the UK at least - every bit as dangerous as Trump.  He is a more sophisticated political operator but equally egostistical and only concerned with his own advancement.  What amazes me is how little kick back any politician gets for making the most absurd comments or promises.  Both candidates are making statements about spending (after years of nominal austerity) and how they WILL leave the EU on October 31st that have no basis in financial probity or legal/political reality

Personally I don't think private lives should necessarily impact on public roles - but if someone in their private life is shown to have no regard for others through repeated statements or actions it has to impact on the suitability of them taking a wider role - this Max Hastings article about Johnson is deeply disturbing.  Al the more so for Hastings being right wing - no moaning liberal with an agenda he!

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/10/boris-johnson-unfit-to-be-prime-minister

I also do not understand the collective hypocrisy of a Society which in some fields will cast out a 'celebrity' for perceived inappropriate behaviour and for others dismiss it as "just Donald..." or somesuch.  I do not support the predatory behaviour of say a Kevin Spacey but why is his career in tatters and Trump gets elected President......?

vandermolen

It does seem absurd that something like 0.6% of the UK population are voting in our next Prime Minister. i just spoke to a Dutch friend on the phone and am inclined to agree with his comment:

'What a bloody stupid country you live in!'

I've always admired The directness of the Dutch.

8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 04, 2019, 03:45:53 AM
I think Johnson has the potential to be - for the UK at least - every bit as dangerous as Trump.  He is a more sophisticated political operator but equally egostistical and only concerned with his own advancement.  What amazes me is how little kick back any politician gets for making the most absurd comments or promises.  Both candidates are making statements about spending (after years of nominal austerity) and how they WILL leave the EU on October 31st that have no basis in financial probity or legal/political reality

Personally I don't think private lives should necessarily impact on public roles - but if someone in their private life is shown to have no regard for others through repeated statements or actions it has to impact on the suitability of them taking a wider role - this Max Hastings article about Johnson is deeply disturbing.  Al the more so for Hastings being right wing - no moaning liberal with an agenda he!

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/10/boris-johnson-unfit-to-be-prime-minister

I also do not understand the collective hypocrisy of a Society which in some fields will cast out a 'celebrity' for perceived inappropriate behaviour and for others dismiss it as "just Donald..." or somesuch.  I do not support the predatory behaviour of say a Kevin Spacey but why is his career in tatters and Trump gets elected President......?

There is actually a significant difference.  Spacey is a classic workplace sexual harrasser, Trump is not.

Spacey forced himself on much younger men (some of them apparently underage) whose job prospects were dependent on being in his good graces. Trump has been accused of molesting/assaulting women, but with the exception of his first wife, none of them were in directly professionally or financially dependent on him. If he has molested women who worked for him,  none of them seem to have complained publicly.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Herman

Per a new election vid, Boris has got a new slogan, to persuade the Tories to vote him in: "Kick the can and we kick the bucket."

Bewildering.

Obviously there's something suicidal in how the Tory Party has been behaving the last couple of years, but to just put it out there is kind of weird...

vandermolen

Don't know what to say really. Thoroughly depressed by today's events. Still I enjoyed the cover of Private Eye with its photo of Boris Johnson outside Downing Street and its caption: 'The Ego has Landed'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

We'll see how long it takes for him to be called BoJo the Clown...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on July 24, 2019, 10:23:50 AM

About 6 months ago for me... :D  (which is when I saw "BoJo" on Twitter. The rest wrote itself).

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Marc

Quote from: André on July 24, 2019, 10:23:50 AM

Many sensible people already do that for years. ;)

André

Quote from: Marc on July 24, 2019, 03:20:24 PM
Many sensible people already do that for years. ;)

Nothing beats popular wisdom  :D

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2019, 04:25:33 AM
It does seem absurd that something like 0.6% of the UK population are voting in our next Prime Minister. i just spoke to a Dutch friend on the phone and am inclined to agree with his comment:

'What a bloody stupid country you live in!'

I've always admired The directness of the Dutch.

8)
I may quote you then, Winston Churchill becoming prime minister proves what a stupid country Britain was.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on July 24, 2019, 07:12:36 PM
I may quote you then, Winston Churchill becoming prime minister proves what a stupid country Britain was.

I'd be interested to know why you think that.

Que

Johnson just got rid of half the cabinet, alienating himself of the more moderate Conservatives that supported his rival Jeremy Hunt. And he got important people ft om the Vote Leave campaign, like  Dominic Cummings, into his close circle.

His strategy seems to be:
1. pressure the EU into an adjusted deal;
2. if that fails: force through a no deal;
3. if that is blocked by parliament: a direct appeal to the (Conservative) electorate through general elections, to regain a parliamentary majority.

As a born populist, he might pull this off.... ::)

Q

vandermolen

Quote from: Que on July 24, 2019, 10:24:17 PM
Johnson just got rid of half the cabinet, alienating himself of the more moderate Conservatives that supported his rival Jeremy Hunt. And he got important people ft om the Vote Leave campaign, like  Dominic Cummings, into his close circle.

His strategy seems to be:
1. pressure the EU into an adjusted deal;
2. if that fails: force through a no deal;
3. if that is blocked by parliament: a direct appeal to the (Conservative) electorate through general elections, to regain a parliamentary majority.

As a born populist, he might pull this off.... ::)

Q
I agree with your analysis.

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on July 24, 2019, 09:55:09 PM
I'd be interested to know why you think that.
Same constitutional process wasn't it? Old PM resigns, new one chosen by tiny fraction of a per cent of the populace.

Herman

Quote from: Que on July 24, 2019, 10:24:17 PM
Johnson just got rid of half the cabinet, alienating himself of the more moderate Conservatives that supported his rival Jeremy Hunt.

He also gave a family member a cabinet job.

Now how does this sound familiar?

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on July 25, 2019, 05:13:32 AM
Same constitutional process wasn't it? Old PM resigns, new one chosen by tiny fraction of a per cent of the populace.
Oh, I see what you mean. I don't think that anyone voted for Churchill in 1940. He was just appointed by Chamberlain when Halifax refused to take the job.

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on July 25, 2019, 06:08:22 AM
Oh, I see what you mean. I don't think that anyone voted for Churchill in 1940. He was just appointed by Chamberlain when Halifax refused to take the job.
He commanded a majority of the house, just as has every single PM since Walpole, in every parliamentary democracy in the world. Same constitutional process.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on July 25, 2019, 06:16:10 AM
He commanded a majority of the house, just as has every single PM since Walpole, in every parliamentary democracy in the world. Same constitutional process.
Yes that's true but he wasn't voted in by a General Election until 1951.

Irons

The EU wanted to make the UK suffer during the Brexit negotiations for obvious reasons. If the UK came out smelling of roses then there is a distinct prospect that either or both of Italy and Spain would follow. Their hard line approach has seen off May which until now perhaps the EU views as a victory. But it has opened a can of worms, if you keep on kicking sooner or later the one being kicked will turn and this is where Johnson comes in. I voted remain but like most Brits I have had enough. I want out, deal or no deal.

Frankly I couldn't care less what Johnson gets up to in his private life. It is that, private.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 26, 2019, 06:33:08 AM
The EU wanted to make the UK suffer during the Brexit negotiations for obvious reasons. If the UK came out smelling of roses then there is a distinct prospect that either or both of Italy and Spain would follow. Their hard line approach has seen off May which until now perhaps the EU views as a victory. But it has opened a can of worms, if you keep on kicking sooner or later the one being kicked will turn and this is where Johnson comes in. I voted remain but like most Brits I have had enough. I want out, deal or no deal.

Frankly I couldn't care less what Johnson gets up to in his private life. It is that, private.
I voted remain also but now think that a soft Brexit is probably the best choice. I'd also be happy if Article 50 was revoked.