The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Newsflash: Jeremy Corbyn supports a general election and "he is ready"....

Ready for what? His ass being kicked? ::)

Boris will be delighted!

Q

Christabel

Boris is shambolic, Corbyn is a communist terrorism sympathiser and anti-semitic hater.  What could possibly go wrong?

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 28, 2019, 09:46:19 AM
The failure of Labour to offer effective opposition is very demoralising in our current political climate and I agree with Florestan's point about the disastrous decision to hold that predictably divisive Referendum.

Cameron called the Referendum playing clever politics as he saw Ukip as a threat electorally. He didn't think for one moment the result would not be remain as after the Scottish Referendum and Proportional Representation victories he was brimming with confidence. After causing chaos with a disastrous political move which could effect the financial stability of not only the UK, but the EU and even the world, he rides off in the sunset - what an idiot!   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on July 29, 2019, 06:44:56 AM
Cameron called the Referendum playing clever politics as he saw Ukip as a threat electorally. He didn't think for one moment the result would not be remain as after the Scottish Referendum and Proportional Representation victories he was brimming with confidence. After causing chaos with a disastrous political move which could effect the financial stability of not only the UK, but the EU and even the world, he rides off in the sunset - what an idiot!   

Spot on! The greatest idiot in UK's political history.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

The new erato

Prepare to be an serfdom under the US and EU. So sad when the UK still could have been a significant force if it had pooled its resources with the EU.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on July 29, 2019, 08:00:35 AM
Prepare to be an serfdom under the US and EU.

No offense meant, but where would Norway be without US (read NATO) and EU? --- in other words, is not Norway today, right now, for all intents and purposes " a serfdom" under the US and EU?  ;D Please answer in all earnest (ie, supposing Norway is out of both NATO and EU agreements).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

The new erato

Oh yes, but as a small and marginal country we have never been otherwise, or had aspirations of that order. International trade and cooperation have been the order of the Day. For the UK on the other hand, it will be a downfall and a spilt opportunity to still be an important International influence through aligning more closely with the rest of Europe.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on July 29, 2019, 12:29:42 PM
Oh yes, but as a small and marginal country we have never been otherwise, or had aspirations of that order. International trade and cooperation have been the order of the Day.

Thanks. Romania fits in to a tee --- and I'm only glad that it does. Better to be a serfdom under US and EU than under Russia.

For the UK on the other hand, it will be a downfall and a spilt opportunity to still be an important International influence through aligning more closely with the rest of Europe.

The UK did it all with its own hand --- if you know what I mean...  ;D

Florestan

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on July 29, 2019, 08:00:35 AM
Prepare to be an serfdom under the US and EU. So sad when the UK still could have been a significant force if it had pooled its resources with the EU.

Agree with you 100%. Even Churchill said 'I look forward to a United States of Europe'. We will have much less say in world affairs outside the EU. Cameron, Johnson and Gove are to blame for this mess. And it is a big mess.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 29, 2019, 06:44:56 AM

Yes, I agree. As you may recall Cameron said 'I'm not a quitter' shortly before disappearing to earn huge amounts of money from after-dinner speeches and writing his, no doubt self-justifying, book.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2019, 02:59:03 AM
Agree with you 100%. Even Churchill said 'I look forward to a United States of Europe'. We will have much less say in world affairs outside the EU. Cameron, Johnson and Gove are to blame for this mess. And it is a big mess.

Churchill famously used the term 'United States of Europe' in his speech at Zürich, 1946:

'We must build a kind of United States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living. The process is simple. All that is needed is the resolve of hundreds of millions of men and women to do right instead of wrong and to gain as their reward blessing instead of cursing.'
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on August 12, 2019, 10:25:11 PM
Churchill famously used the term 'United States of Europe' in his speech at Zürich, 1946:

'We must build a kind of United States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living. The process is simple. All that is needed is the resolve of hundreds of millions of men and women to do right instead of wrong and to gain as their reward blessing instead of cursing.'

I found this article about that speech interesting:
https://www.ft.com/content/3d6bbabc-7122-11e6-a0c9-1365ce54b926

Que

Just in case our UK members were wondering if they were in a safe hands - the loud orange guy from across the pond says so:

Trump says Boris Johnson is 'right man' to deliver Brexit

Putin endorses Trump, who endorses Johnson....
And both Putin and Trump encourage Brexit...

Am I the only one who sees a disturbing pattern here?  ???

Q

Florestan

Que

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2019, 10:43:20 AM
Do you mean something like this?  :P

Sorry, Dutch spelling/transliteration...  :D  Corrected to the ways of Queen's English.

Anyway, the whole situation is definitely as dark and sinister as Poe's most gripping stories.

There are concerted efforts by the presidents of the United States of America and of Russia to throw Europe to the lions.
Trump considers Euope a burden that must be offloaded, Putin wants to regain the former Russian sphere of influence.
The UK is mistakenly - misguided by historical ties - seeking refuge in a closer alliance with the US and severing its links with the rest of Europe. Trump will pick its bones clean and reduce it to a sattelite state.....

Q

Florestan

Quote from: Que on August 25, 2019, 11:36:33 AM
Sorry, Dutch spelling/transliteration...  :D

I know, I just couldn't resist.   :)

JBS

Quote from: Que on August 25, 2019, 11:36:33 AM
Sorry, Dutch spelling/transliteration...  :D  Corrected to the ways of Queen's English.

Anyway, the whole situation is definitely as dark and sinister as Poe's most gripping stories.

There are concerted efforts by the presidents of the United States of America and of Russia to throw Europe to the lions.
Trump considers Euope a burden that must be offloaded, Putin wants to regain the former Russian sphere of influence.
The UK is mistakenly - misguided by historical ties - seeking refuge in a closer alliance with the US and severing its links with the rest of Europe. Trump will pick its bones clean and reduce it to a sattelite state.....

Q

I think you are giving Trump too much credit. He doesn't think that far ahead. He likes the idea of a similar nationalist minded government in the UK.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk