The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

So, Boris has indeed been a naughty boy but he - "with all respect to the Supreme court" - "disagrees profoundly."

As if that even matters?  ???
He is acting as if he is in political debate with the court, which shows he is actively undermining and politicizing its independent position.

Anyway, I feel that Johnson's opponents are waking up to the fact that he is not going to ask for an extension in Brussels and that they have to vote him out and install a caretaker government to do the job.

After that.... elections.... Boris might win, or it will be a hung parliament. In both cases: more chaos ahead...  ::)

Q

Mandryka

Did Johnson say that he would NOT honour the Benn Act last night?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2019, 10:11:09 PM

No, to my knowledge he did not say that...

But I can't imagine him asking for an extension - that would be political suicide.

Q

Mandryka

Disgraceful show last night in HoC, I woke up feeling very depressed about it.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2019, 10:37:24 PM

I can imagine...  ::)

And I don't want to depress you any further but historically, when a political system is overtaken by populism - that is the sounding of its death knell...

Q

Iota

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 25, 2019, 04:20:11 PM
I suppose Boris has no more regard fir the UK Constitution, than Trump has for the American.

I think he has little regard for anything outside of his own wellbeing.
I do think what he's doing is very similar to what Trump seemed to do with voters in the rust belt et al, with claims of draining the swamp of Washington, in that he (Johnson) is portraying Parliament as the enemy of the people (as if he gives a toss about them) and himself their embattled saviour fighting to make their voice heard. Though really most MP's are just trying to stop a No Deal I think, which is not defying the referendum result, as he claims.

But, much as I am a Remainer, I think the Lib Dems policy of revoking Article 50, without an interim second referendum, is anti-democratic and wrong, and only adds fuel to the Leavers anti-Westminster grievances. There is a chance of course that a general election would come to be seen as a second referendum itself, thereby giving the Lib Dems more of a mandate to take such a step, but that seems a rather remote possibility. I personally feel a second referendum would be the most clarifying route to take, I think enough has changed to justify it.

Roasted Swan

The husband of murdered MP Jo Cox spoke extremely eloquently and with great good sense on national UK radio this morning.  He was NOT promoting one side of the debate over the other but simply stating that one of his wife's abiding philosophies was to respect and listen to the opinions of those with whom she disagreed.  A consequence of social media is that many people now only seek those who echo their own/current position.  Very little - on any subject - seems open to true debate anymore

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 26, 2019, 05:49:59 AM
A consequence of social media is that many people now only seek those who echo their own/current position.

We have a conspicuous example right here on GMG...   ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2019, 10:37:24 PM
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2019, 10:11:09 PM

Boris Johnson may be planning to bypass a law blocking a no-deal Brexit by issuing an order to suspend it until after the scheduled date of Britain's EU withdrawal on 31 October, former prime minister Sir John Major has warned.

The order could be passed by ministers acting in the Privy Council without the involvement of parliament or the Queen, said Sir John, who denounced the tactic as "a piece of political chicanery that no one should ever forgive or forget".

I assume John Major has some  inside information...

Such a move by Johnson would undoubtedly lead to another case before the Supreme court....

The safest option for the opposition is to remove him from office.

Q

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 26, 2019, 05:49:59 AM
The husband of murdered MP Jo Cox spoke extremely eloquently and with great good sense on national UK radio this morning.  He was NOT promoting one side of the debate over the other but simply stating that one of his wife's abiding philosophies was to respect and listen to the opinions of those with whom she disagreed.  A consequence of social media is that many people now only seek those who echo their own/current position.  Very little - on any subject - seems open to true debate anymore
I agree. Johnson said that the best way of honouring her memory was to deliver Brexit. And yet she was a passionate campaigner for Remain.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DaveF

Quote from: Que on September 26, 2019, 09:55:36 PM
Boris Johnson may be planning to bypass a law blocking a no-deal Brexit by issuing an order to suspend it until after the scheduled date of Britain's EU withdrawal on 31 October, former prime minister Sir John Major has warned.

The order could be passed by ministers acting in the Privy Council without the involvement of parliament or the Queen, said Sir John, who denounced the tactic as "a piece of political chicanery that no one should ever forgive or forget".

Heresy!  :o :o The previous appeal to the Supreme Court, and the passing of the Benn Act, are "political chicanery".  The use of a Privy Council order to bypass parliament is "carrying out the will of the people". 
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Que

Labour is dragging its feet.... but the Lib Dems and the SNP are willing to support general elections through an amendment of the Fixed-term Parliaments Act:

Lib Dems offer Johnson route to December election

Now, will Boris Johnson win these elections?

BTW If I were the SNP, I would make a 2nd independence referendum part of the deal. Because if Johnson really does win the elections, Scotland might want to get out of the UK ASAP.....
And conveniently for Johnson, a departure of Scotland will change the balance of power in Westminster and solidify the position of the Conservatives for decades: English Tories have lost the slightest reason to care about the union.
A Johnson-SNP win-win.....  ::)

Q

Que

The moment of truth for Johnson has arrived: elections are coming!

Parliament breaks Brexit deadlock with vote for 12 December election

I still think it's going to be either a landslide for Johnson or a hung parliament.
The SNP is set to take all Scottish seats, and Labour is likely to be slaughtered.
Just my two cents...  8)

Q

Irons

Quote from: Que on October 29, 2019, 11:01:26 PM
The moment of truth for Johnson has arrived: elections are coming!

Parliament breaks Brexit deadlock with vote for 12 December election

I still think it's going to be either a landslide for Johnson or a hung parliament.
The SNP is set to take all Scottish seats, and Labour is likely to be slaughtered.
Just my two cents...  8)

Q

The resurgence of the Liberal party make predictions difficult. Their new leader Jo Swinson is playing a blinder. She has positioned the party to be first port of call for dyed in the wool remainers. As it stands now if this election is only about Brexit the voters who wish for Brexit to be revoked or a second referendum will migrate to Liberal not Labour.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Ken B

China balks at Korean musicians in an American orchestra
https://www.violinist.com/blog/rufe/201910/27966/

Glad Eastman had a rethink.

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on October 30, 2019, 01:32:53 AM
The resurgence of the Liberal party make predictions difficult. Their new leader Jo Swinson is playing a blinder. She has positioned the party to be first port of call for dyed in the wool remainers. As it stands now if this election is only about Brexit the voters who wish for Brexit to be revoked or a second referendum will migrate to Liberal not Labour.

If you want to keep the tories out, a vote for Liberal is not always going to be effective. If that's your aim, in a seat like mine, held by a Tory with Labour second place, it's probably best to vote Labour.

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on October 30, 2019, 09:02:49 AM
If you want to keep the tories out, a vote for Liberal is not always going to be effective. If that's your aim, in a seat like mine, held by a Tory with Labour second place, it's probably best to vote Labour.

Yes, that is probably right. The only thing I would say with both Tories and Labour become more right/left extreme can a supporter of one hold his/her nose and vote for the other? It shows up the difference between a tactical and a protest vote.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on October 31, 2019, 12:45:43 AM
Yes, that is probably right. The only thing I would say with both Tories and Labour become more right/left extreme can a supporter of one hold his/her nose and vote for the other? It shows up the difference between a tactical and a protest vote.

I don't trust the tories to manage the post Brexit negotiations in a way which will preserve the things I hold most dear. Despite Labour's ineptitude, they are the lesser of the two evils.

Que

Boris Johnson's saving grace in the upcoming elections will be that most people really dislike Jeremy Corbyn...

How sad is that?  ::)

Q