The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Iota

It seems an unstoppable tide, inward looking-ness and regressiveness seem in the ascendant. Depressing indeed. : (

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2019, 01:55:48 PM
Oh, come on, Jeffrey! Would you care to answer my questions above?

Oh, I think your points are valid Andrei, although I think that there is a much stronger case for Scottish independence now. My despondency is due to the thought of the UK being governed by a swaggering bully for the next four years at least. I find it deeply depressing and can't stand our charlatan of a prime minister. I also think that the first past the post system is now anachronistic and we need a PR system which would be much more democratic.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on December 12, 2019, 02:56:54 PM
It seems an unstoppable tide, inward looking-ness and regressiveness seem in the ascendant. Depressing indeed. : (

Yes, the UK will be much weaker now. I can't stand the rise of the Little Englander, Xenophobic triumphalism which will no doubt follow tonight's debacle.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2019, 03:02:40 PM
Yes, the UK will be much weaker now. I can't stand the rise of the Little Englander, Xenophobic triumphalism which will no doubt follow tonight's debacle.

+1 to your recent posts...... sadly..........

Ken B

It's hard to keep up.

The referendum must be rejected!
We need PR! Much more democratic!

Hmmm.

Christabel

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2019, 02:57:50 PM
Oh, I think your points are valid Andrei, although I think that there is a much stronger case for Scottish independence now. My despondency is due to the thought of the UK being governed by a swaggering bully for the next four years at least. I find it deeply depressing and can't stand our charlatan of a prime minister. I also think that the first past the post system is now anachronistic and we need a PR system which would be much more democratic.

Spoken like a true supporter of democracy;  if you don't like the decision pour bile over the people and keep doing it until you get the decision you like. 

Christabel

Quote from: JBS on November 03, 2019, 04:39:18 PM
Even sadder... Jeremy Corbyn's saving grace in the upcoming elections will be that most people really dislike Boris Johnson.

Absolutely priceless comment.  Really enjoying the BJ win and not sorry for the loss of the vicious anti-semite Corbyn and his cardigan communists.

Christabel

Quote from: jess on December 12, 2019, 12:06:45 AM
am feeling tired and i misread the thread title as 'Boris Johnson is Dead' but now I realise that's just wishful thinking

A perennially undergraduate remark from an extremely competitive field.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2019, 01:52:01 PM
Hold your horses, young man!

Questions:

1. What will be the currency of a putatively independent Scotland?

2. A putatively independent Scotland will have at least one vote against his accession to the EU, thus blocking the whole thing. Can you guess which country will vote against?

3. Are you really arguing that, over time, the DUP and the Fianna Fail will agree to live and compete peacefully in the same country?

4. How is Gibraltar going to be lost by UK? And to whom?

5. How are the two bases on Cyprus, Channell Islands and Isle of Man going to sever their ties with UK and become part of the EU?

TIA for your answers.

4 & 5 - Cyprus and Spain would be able to claim these were enclaves within EU countries occupied by a non-EU country and so the EU as a whole would support them.

Ken B

Quote from: 2dogs on December 12, 2019, 08:12:24 PM
4 & 5 - Cyprus and Spain would be able to claim these were enclaves within EU countries occupied by a non-EU country and so the EU as a whole would support them.

Ah. Pixie dust.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on December 12, 2019, 05:32:50 PM
It's hard to keep up.

The referendum must be rejected!
We need PR! Much more democratic!

Hmmm.

PR is more democratic. At the moment the Lib Dems, for example, have 12% of the vote but nothing like 12% in the seats of the HOC.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christabel on December 12, 2019, 07:39:33 PM
Spoken like a true supporter of democracy;  if you don't like the decision pour bile over the people and keep doing it until you get the decision you like.

PR is more democratic and I can't stand Boris Johnson - I'm not sure that constitutes 'pouring bile over the people...'

Ratliff

There seems to be an implicit assumption that Boris Johnson will now be able to carry our Brexit with his fresh majority. For all we know he is headed for more failed votes and stalemate...

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2019, 08:21:43 PM
PR is more democratic and I can't stand Boris Johnson - I'm not sure that constitutes 'pouring bile over the people...'
Maybe it is. A referendum is still more democratic. Yet you rejected the referendum when your side lost it. You want more democracy when it suits you and less when it doesn't.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2019, 01:52:01 PM
Hold your horses, young man!

Questions:

1. What will be the currency of a putatively independent Scotland?

2. A putatively independent Scotland will have at least one vote against his accession to the EU, thus blocking the whole thing. Can you guess which country will vote against?

3. Are you really arguing that, over time, the DUP and the Fianna Fail will agree to live and compete peacefully in the same country?

4. How is Gibraltar going to be lost by UK? And to whom?

5. How are the two bases on Cyprus, Channell Islands and Isle of Man going to sever their ties with UK and become part of the EU?

TIA for your answers.

1 - Scottish Pounds until they ask to join the EU.

Ken B

Quote from: Ratliff on December 12, 2019, 08:46:09 PM
There seems to be an implicit assumption that Boris Johnson will now be able to carry our Brexit with his fresh majority. For all we know he is headed for more failed votes and stalemate...
Let's bet. Propose a date and let's see if we can agree a wager.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2019, 08:18:36 PM
PR is more democratic. At the moment the Lib Dems, for example, have 12% of the vote but nothing like 12% in the seats of the HOC.

Of course it is, not only more, but the essential difference between ´to be a democracy or no democacry´ as your Poet would put it. Under democratic circumstances, not only would the Liberal Democrats own over 20 percent of the vote, but others would be represented as well (and there would be no Brexit of course).

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2019, 02:35:26 PM
My comment: bullshit on stilts.
Once again your rather choleric temperament - you would call it Latin, I guess it's better being called Andrei - propells you to ask for the obvious. As Journalism happens to be my special interest - wrote some books - your low opinion doesn't bother me, but your personal health does. Are you okay?  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

steve ridgway

Quote from: Ratliff on December 12, 2019, 08:46:09 PM

I believe the Conservative rebel MPs have now been replaced.

Ken B

Quote from: Christo on December 12, 2019, 08:53:28 PM
Of course it is, not only more, but the essential difference between ´to be a democracy or no democacry´ as your Poet would put it. Under democratic circumstances, not only would the Liberal Democrats own over 20 percent of the vote, but others would be represented as well (and there would be no Brexit of course).
Once again your rather choleric temperament - you would call it Latin, I guess it's better being called Andrei - propells you to ask for the obvious. As Journalism happens to be my special interest - wrote some books - your low opinion doesn't bother me, but your personal health does. Are you okay?  ???
Under "democratic circumstances " the referendum would have settled it.  Remind me who won?