The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratliff

I don't see that it is likely that a second (third) referendum would have reversed the previous, given that the conservatives won so decisively on the platform "get brexit done."

Ken B

Quote from: Ratliff on December 13, 2019, 10:07:09 AM
I don't see that it is likely that a second (third) referendum would have reversed the previous, given that the conservatives won so decisively on the platform "get brexit done."

Next time hold both referenda on the same day, using the same ballot.

ritter

I'll just post in this thread to....wish Andrei a very happy birthday!!!!

Un abrazo,

André

Quote from: Ken B on December 13, 2019, 10:13:32 AM

The heading for the second portion of the ballot would be 'On Second Thought'.

Mandryka

Quote from: Ken B on December 13, 2019, 10:13:32 AM

I think the idea was to make the British people take the test again and again and again until they get the answer right, like in History tests in school.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on December 13, 2019, 05:31:13 AM
Don't tell him that. Suddenly he'll have several hundred birthdays a year!
Haha  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Yes, that may well be true.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

But did they?
I am under the impression that only the Liberal Democrats were against Brexit, and that Corbyn/Labour's position was a sort of "well, we'll see if we can get a better Brexit, or maybe not..."

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Christabel

Quote from: JBS on December 13, 2019, 11:40:51 AM
But did they?
I am under the impression that only the Liberal Democrats were against Brexit, and that Corbyn/Labour's position was a sort of "well, we'll see if we can get a better Brexit, or maybe not..."

Oh, this is funny!!  Meanwhile, over at the Guardianistas;  they're just finding out what most of us have already known for ages!!  How can anybody read that rag populated by activists and school-aged ingenues!!?  The "educated Left" - not the sharpest tools in the shed:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/13/jeremy-corbyn-labour-manifesto-antisemitism-brexit

vandermolen

Quote from: Christabel on December 13, 2019, 11:48:46 AM
Oh, this is funny!!  Meanwhile, over at the Guardianistas;  they're just finding out what most of us have already known for ages!!  How can anybody read that rag populated by activists and school-aged ingenues!!?  The "educated Left" - not the sharpest tools in the shed:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/13/jeremy-corbyn-labour-manifesto-antisemitism-brexit

Thanks for posting that. I very much agree with her analysis of the situation we (in the UK) are now in.

Ken B

Imperialism dies hard. I hear laments from Remainers that they might no longer rule over distant islands, outposts, and people. The oldest imperial possession might elude their control, and teeth are gnashed.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Ken B on December 13, 2019, 12:49:52 PM
Imperialism dies hard. I hear laments from Remainers that they might no longer rule over distant islands, outposts, and people. The oldest imperial possession might elude their control, and teeth are gnashed.

I don't suppose Scotland would spend so much of their money on the military, maybe England would cut back to more of a self defence force. I never liked "Land of Hope and Glory" anyway.

Ratliff

Repeating the referendum, which was non-binding anyway, doesn't seem like such an inappropriate move. After all, you could argue that when people voted for brexit they thought it would be relatively simple. Now after more than three years and no agreed plan other than crashing out, maybe people would think differently.

But that does not appear to be the case, since the guy who ran on "get brexit done" got overwhelming support. Presumably the second referendum would be even more decisive in favor of brexit.

For what it's worth, my view is that there never should have been a referendum at all. Direct democracy is a terrible way to govern (as California with its propositions has proven time and time again). Representative Democracy, a Republic, is what works (to the extent anything works).

I don't see the point in bashing Boris Johnson. Like Trump, he is a symptom, not a cause, of political disfunction. England has earned him.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ratliff on December 13, 2019, 08:32:18 PM
Repeating the referendum, which was non-binding anyway, doesn't seem like such an inappropriate move. After all, you could argue that when people voted for brexit they thought it would be relatively simple. Now after more than three years and no agreed plan other than crashing out, maybe people would think differently.

But that does not appear to be the case, since the guy who ran on "get brexit done" got overwhelming support. Presumably the second referendum would be even more decisive in favor of brexit.

For what it's worth, my view is that there never should have been a referendum at all. Direct democracy is a terrible way to govern (as California with its propositions has proven time and time again). Representative Democracy, a Republic, is what works (to the extent anything works).

I don't see the point in bashing Boris Johnson. Like Trump, he is a symptom, not a cause, of political disfunction. England has earned him.

Of course there should never have been a referendum. You are right. David 'I'm not a quitter' Cameron's idiotic decision to hold one was bound to polarise the country. Clement Attlee and Margaret Thatcher, from opposite ends of the political spectrum, were totally opposed to them.

Thanks to everyone for their views.

'Let the healing begin'
:)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 13, 2019, 11:46:32 PM
Of course there should never have been a referendum. You are right. David 'I'm not a quitter' Cameron's idiotic decision to hold one was bound to polarise the country. Clement Attlee and Margaret Thatcher, from opposite ends of the political spectrum, were totally opposed to them.

Thanks to everyone for their views. 'Let the healing begin'
First there will be much suffering (called 'Brexit' and all of its apparently unforeseen consequences called 'End of the UK'). Then there will be much healing (needed too).  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

Quote from: vandermolen on December 13, 2019, 11:46:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for their views.

'Let the healing begin'

The problem is that the British electoral system is not designed to heal political divides....  ::)

Yes, Boris got more votes than any of the others.
But if you tally all votes, a small majority voted for parties either against Brexit or in favour of a 2nd referendum.

The combined total vote share for the pro-Brexit parties reached 47.33%, while on the other hand, Labour's vote share combined with the Liberal Democrats, SNP, Greens, Sinn Fein, Plaid Cymru and Alliance gives an overall share of 52.67%.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/more-than-52-of-the-general-election-vote-went-to-pro-remain-parties-1-6424196

Q

Roasted Swan

Utter nonsense!!  Do you really equate Remain with Imperialism!??  Remain is about staying part of a wider political/social/economic whole all collaborating.  Brexit has more of a whiff of pulling up a drawbridge and reckoning we'll be "better" on our own.  This will be a slow motion economic/social disaster.

Mandryka

From The Guardian

Shortly before 2.30am, Jeremy Corbyn arrived, smiling and waving to his supporters, at his Islington count. No one appeared to have told him that Labour was suffering its worst result at a general election since 1935 and was predicted to win fewer than 200 seats.

An hour later, once the declaration had been made, the severity of the defeat still hadn't sunk in as the Labour leader began his acceptance speech. It was a disappointing night, he said. A setback, nothing more. If his manifesto had had a flaw, it was that it had been too good for the country. It had been the country's fault that Labour had not won the election. The people had allowed themselves to be manipulated by the mainstream media into being distracted by Brexit.

However, even though he took no responsibility for Labour's defeat, Corbyn did concede that he wouldn't lead the party into another glorious general election. He would stand down, but in his own time. Only after he had been able to engineer a suitable replacement who would build on his magnificent legacy and lead Labour to an even more crushing humiliation. The few Labour party supporters around the country who weren't already paralytically drunk, each downed an entire bottle of scotch."
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Que on December 13, 2019, 11:58:10 PM

The problem is that the British electoral system is not designed to heal political divides....  ::)

Yes, Boris got more votes than any of the others.
But if you tally all votes, a small majority voted for parties either against Brexit or in favour of a 2nd referendum.

The combined total vote share for the pro-Brexit parties reached 47.33%, while on the other hand, Labour's vote share combined with the Liberal Democrats, SNP, Greens, Sinn Fein, Plaid Cymru and Alliance gives an overall share of 52.67%.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/more-than-52-of-the-general-election-vote-went-to-pro-remain-parties-1-6424196

Q
Yes, I read that too. Interesting.

vandermolen

I agree with Roasted Swan and see no connection between Remainers and Imperialism, unless you mean that Britain would try to 'take over' the EU had we remained. It is the Little Englander mentality demonstrated by some Leave supporters which smacks more of Imperialism I think.