The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Que on December 15, 2019, 02:28:00 AM
We are ready to adopt you!  :)

Do you have dual nationality?

Q

How nice. :) Sadly not, otherwise we'd all be Dutch by now in current circumstances. Great Great Grandfather was a Dutchman I think and I gather he may have arrived here on a herring boat. I like to think so anyway but we have been long established in the UK.

The other country I feel very at home in is Finland.

On a separate note my fellow history teaching friend and former colleague wrote this:

'In historical terms I suppose Labour dreamt of 1945 with Red Flag sung in Parliament but got 1784 with defeat of overconfident  London based Whigs by old fashioned conservative people in the shires.  Though not the most sustainable comparison between Fox and Corbyn and Pitt and Johnson, of course.'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Ratliff on December 14, 2019, 04:43:33 AM
Is Labour really decisively anti-Brexit? That may be anti-Boris's plan at any given moment, but I could never discern what they were for, from what I read.

The Labour shadow cabinet and MP's are anti-Brexit and Corbyn and the Labour supporting electorate were not, which created a massive quandary. The Conservative party were equally split which resulted in over three years in chaos in British politics. Both parties reverted to type, Labour, a dog's dinner trying to please all which resulted in appealing to nobody and the Tories brandishing a Harold Macmillan "long knife" more driven by politics then dogma, cut and slashed until they all faced the same way.

The tragedy is that they both seemed to forget how democracy works. Parliament tried to ignore or fudge an instruction given by the electorate in the form of a referendum. That it was close and they didn't agree with result is immaterial. Parliament is there to serve and represent the population of the UK and because it "knew better" three years have been wasted. I voted remain but am vehemently against a second referendum because that undermines democracy. As for the Brexit policy from the Liberal Party ........  :o
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 15, 2019, 02:28:00 AM
We are ready to adopt you!  :)

Do you have dual nationality?

Q

Absolutely Jeffrey, we adopt you! :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on December 15, 2019, 02:37:16 AM
How nice. :) Sadly not, otherwise we'd all be Dutch by now in current circumstances. Great Great Grandfather was a Dutchman I think and I gather he may have arrived here on a herring boat. I like to think so anyway but we have been long established in the UK.

The other country I feel very at home in is Finland.

On a separate note my fellow history teaching friend and former colleague wrote this:

'In historical terms I suppose Labour dreamt of 1945 with Red Flag sung in Parliament but got 1784 with defeat of overconfident  London based Whigs by old fashioned conservative people in the shires.  Though not the most sustainable comparison between Fox and Corbyn and Pitt and Johnson, of course.'

Jeffrey, I have send you a PM, please look at it, if you have time, or maybe you already did. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Christo

Quote from: "Harry" on December 15, 2019, 05:54:55 AM
At least your lovely wife and daughter (you as an added bonus).  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on December 15, 2019, 05:54:55 AM

Thanks my friend!
I'll get my clogs out!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Ken B

The Hallelujah Chorus
Gardiner

Oops. Wrong thread, thought this was the listening thread.

Ratliff

Boris Johnson has Covid-19. Welcome to the herd, Boris! :)

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

Carrie, Boris's girlfriend (or, if you will, fiancée), was delivered of a baby boy this morning.

Florestan

May the baby live a long, wealthy and happy life. So may all newborn babies all around the world.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on April 29, 2020, 07:09:36 AM
May the baby live a long, wealthy and happy life. So may all newborn babies all around the world.

Thumbs up to that.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

I heard the news...rough times to be born into!  Have they named him yet?

Heard a sad/sweet story the other day:  young boy whose name happened to be Corona was getting picked on in school.  His mom suggested writing a letter to Tom Hanks who happened to have hauled one of his Corona typewriters with him to Australia and used it whilst quarantined.  Mr. Hanks wrote a sweet letter to him and ended it by telling him that "You have a friend in me" and sent him his Corona typewriter.    :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

well, Johnson may (or may not) quote the odd piece of ancient Greek, but that is not the same as "speaking" it. I don't think anyone does. Some classical scholars write or speak some classical Latin, but I have never ever heard of anyone (I did graduate school in Classics, still reading it at my ripe age) pretending to speak it spontaneously.

Though I detest most of his (ever changing) political platform, I kind of like his love for the classics. But I'm also a little suspicious of it, as a kind of sugar coating.

vandermolen

I notice that during the daily governments press briefings (UK) great emphasis is placed on comparative graphs featuring Europe and the USA if they seem to reflect well on the UK but when the statistics reflect badly, like now, when the inclusion of care home deaths have sent the UK death figures shooting up into the stratosphere, the focus is on how misleading the comparative graphs are.

Irons

My wife has just informed me that Boris's no.? son's name has been announced Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas.Thought you would all like to know that. :D

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 02, 2020, 07:25:13 AM
My wife has just informed me that Boris's no.? son's name has been announced Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas.Thought you would all like to know that. :D
Letter in The Guardian today:
• Congratulations are in order to the PM and his fiancee. I wonder what the child will be called. Perhaps they will follow the classical style favoured by Jacob Rees-Mogg and go for Sextus? Or perhaps Septimus? Octavian? Dodecadus? Only Boris knows.

MusicTurner

'Dodecadus', though certainly impressive, is probably too close to 'dude'.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 02, 2020, 08:26:09 AM
'Dodecadus', though certainly impressive, is probably too close to 'dude'.
Good point!
;D