The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

I hope that the new Labour man, Keir Starmer, is well-qualified and has some charisma.

He's basically unknown in my country, but got short, positive descriptions as being qualified, sharp and methodical very much above average. One can't really say that about Johnson's record listed above.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

it doesn't mention he's had a baby.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 09, 2020, 10:12:52 AM
I hope that the new Labour man, Keir Starmer, is well-qualified and has some charisma.

He's basically unknown in my country, but got short, positive descriptions as being qualified, sharp and methodical very much above average. One can't really say that about Johnson's record listed above.

I think that Keir Starmer has made a very impressive start as Labour leader. He is far more, IMO, of a genuine 'Prime Minister in waiting' that his predecessor. Frankly I hope that he becomes PM one day, hopefully sooner rather than later. He is very incisive and, unlike our current leader, has depth and personal integrity. He reminds me, and others, of the former Labour leader John Smith who sadly died prematurely and who would, I believe, have been a fine PM, instead of which we ended up with the Tony Blair years. Like Smith Starmer is, I believe, interested in service to others rather than in boosting his own ego. Johnson's mock Churchillian rhetoric is looking increasingly hollow.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Herman

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2020, 12:26:35 AM
Johnson's mock Churchillian rhetoric is looking increasingly hollow.

It does. But it always did, and look what happened.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 09, 2020, 10:12:52 AM

Paul Gambaccini knows him too well.  https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/paul-gambaccini-threatens-to-run-against-keir-starmer-over-sex-abuse-witch-hunt-1369338
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Herman

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2020, 01:24:45 AM
True.

I hate to say it but Johnson is typically the kind of politician a lot of people would like to have a beer with and either quote some Homer or talk about boys' stuff.

Mandryka

We used to have

And we now have

Instead of giving the people the simple easily understandable (infantalising?) command stay at home we have the much more complex, subtle (responsibilising?)  requirement to "stay alert."  Stay at home had to be replaced of course, because people need to go to work and to school.

(Is responsibilising is an English word?)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on May 10, 2020, 02:01:14 AM
We used to have

(Is responsibilising is an English word?)

No of course not.

vandermolen

I thought that, for once, Boris Johnson came across as sincere in his address to the nation on TV tonight. I am no fan of the man, but maybe his brush with death has deepened him.

Mandryka

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2020, 10:17:18 AM
I thought that, for once, Boris Johnson came across as sincere in his address to the nation on TV tonight. I am no fan of the man, but maybe his brush with death has deepened him.

Did I mishear things, or did he tell working class people to go out risking death for the sake of the economy from tomorrow, and to expect no help or reward?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2020, 10:17:18 AM
Wonder where I can listen to his address?
Quote from: Mandryka on May 10, 2020, 12:19:35 PM
Did I mishear things, or did he tell working class people to go out risking death for the sake of the economy from tomorrow, and to expect no help or reward?
Huh!   ???  Lord, I hope not!!

By the way, is the British government offering any sort of economic stimulus payments to the average citizen?  Either a check or a direct deposit into their accounts?  If so, how much and do you think that it will really help much?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on May 10, 2020, 12:19:35 PM

The biggest change was his hair. He seemed to have been in same room as a comb.

He did emphasize that at work social distancing should apply.

I couldn't help but notice him saying the fines for not distancing etc would be raised.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on May 10, 2020, 12:58:43 PM

He did emphasize that at work social distancing should apply.

Yes but he said absolutely nothing about what the state will do to ensure that the employers make the workplace safe.

vandermolen

André

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2020, 05:08:51 PM
My daughter forwarded this to me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N8DuyMihnjE

I like this comment from one of the clip's viewers:

Mike O'Regan

What's everyone's issue with good old Bo Jo? He's got an outline of a planned possible framework for an intended way that we might get an idea of how we will potentially move forwards. Maybe

vandermolen