The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

steve ridgway

I wouldn't share that Mandryka; the inclusion of a Nazi uniform probably makes it a hate crime. $:)

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 01, 2021, 04:26:42 AMAll I can say to my friends in the UK is good luck!

Depending on NHS billing and reimbursement practices, it may be better to wish luck to Centene shareholders. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

I've just finished this book which I'd recommend. The author was a Daily Mail journalist who seems to have undergone some kind of conversion experience. It was a most interesting, if depressing, read:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on March 27, 2021, 01:14:17 PM

That's what you get for flying the Union Jack. Shame on you Priti!

The political diaries of Alan Duncan "In The Thick Of It" to be published on April 15th will make good bedtime reading for you -
Saturday, September 24 2016. I try to be the dutiful number two, but have lost any respect for him. He is a clown, a self-centred ego, an embarrassing buffoon, with an untidy mind and sub-zero diplomatic judgement. He is an international stain on our reputation. He is a lonely, selfish, ill-disciplined, shambolic, shameless clot. 

Bet you can't guess....... :D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

The result of the Hartlepool by election today is of great significance in the future of British English politics.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

I predict that the good people of Hartlepool will find Boris's recent nationalist discourse most appealing. And no one give a fuck about Labour (who's Starmer?)

Mandryka

And I was right. Now Labour will level up Hartlepool a little to solidify its new found support. Labour's neither use not ornament. Send Labour to Dignitas.

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on May 06, 2021, 08:11:39 AM
I predict that the good people of Hartlepool will find Boris's recent nationalist discourse most appealing. And no one give a fuck about Labour (who's Starmer?)

Labour are in big trouble. Brexit, I hate to bring it up but a huge factor in this devastating result. Over 70% of Hartlepool voted leave and many at the last election left Labour due to its ridiculous Brexit policy and voted for the Brexit party. What is mind-blowing is that with Brexit done and dusted and the Brexit Party no more, the bed-rock Labour supporters did not return to the fold but voted Tory!

Mandryka

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on May 07, 2021, 08:27:06 AM
Look at this and despair

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1390683722710663170

I must be honest with you, I rejoice, but that is not the point. I cannot understand the seismic falling away of Labour support in towns but cities such as Manchester they are still strong. Starmer is an odd choice to replace Corbyn and this election seems to point to the fact it was the wrong one. 

Que

I think Labour's basic problem is that is divided in two camps and Starmer has failed to straddle the divide, alienating the rural traditionalist voters. And many analist point out that Labour will not be able to regain power without Scottish votes anyway.

The Tories experienced a similar divide, but nationalists won the day and voters remained loyal.
Labour's divide and British electoral system are likely to keep the Tories in power in England for decades to come.

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on May 08, 2021, 12:47:22 AM
I must be honest with you, I rejoice, but that is not the point. I cannot understand the seismic falling away of Labour support in towns but cities such as Manchester they are still strong. Starmer is an odd choice to replace Corbyn and this election seems to point to the fact it was the wrong one.

Presumably Manc is strong because it's a good strategy to stand up to the tories rather than trying to emulate them. Andy Burnham for PM!

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 08, 2021, 01:15:16 AM
I think Labour's basic problem is that is divided in two camps and Starmer has failed to straddle the divide, alienating the rural traditionalist voters. And many analist point out that Labour will not be able to regain power without Scottish votes anyway.

The Tories experienced a similar divide, but nationalists won the day and voters remained loyal.
Labour's divide and British electoral system are likely to keep the Tories in power in England for decades to come.

I thought this was an insightful analysis

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/07/hartlepool-labour-same-old-tories-conservatives-keir-starmer?__twitter_impression=true

vandermolen

Scotland could be a big problem for Johnson. He will not want to preside over the break up of the UK. Labour, I was rather pleased to see, did rather well in Wales.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Que on May 08, 2021, 01:15:16 AM

My quote of the year came from a Labour politician - sorry, I am unable to name him. "Corbyn and Starmer are two cheeks of a liberal arse". Ugly but true, North London liberalism is not going to cut it in the "red wall" and nor should it.

I agree Andy Burnham is an excellent choice. That he is not based in London gives him a head start.

Irons

Labour's election record since Thatcher won in 1979: lost, lost, lost, Blair, Blair, Blair, lost, lost, lost, lost.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 10, 2021, 07:57:37 AM
Labour's election record since Thatcher won in 1979: lost, lost, lost, Blair, Blair, Blair, lost, lost, lost, lost.
Indeed - it's currently in self-destruct mode but things can change quickly in politics.