The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Let's call out the Tories' behaviour for what it is: corruption
Keir Starmer
Conservative support for Owen Paterson is a disgrace. Politics needs to be cleaned up

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/03/call-out-tories-corruption-conservative-owen-paterson-keir-starmer

QuoteI am sick of people skirting around calling this out for what it is: corruption. Paterson was receiving money from a private company to ask questions on its behalf. Roberts was found to have made repeated and unwanted sexual advances toward a young staffer. Both of them should be gone – neither are fit to serve as MPs. Their continued presence in the Tory party is scandalous. It will further undermine public faith in politics at a time when we should be trying to restore decency and honesty".

"But the rot starts at the top. We have a prime minister whose name is synonymous with sleaze, dodgy deals and hypocrisy. This is the man who allows his ministers to breach with impunity the codes that govern public life; who thinks it should be one rule for him and his chums, another for everyone else.

With his every action he signals to his MPs: do what you like. There are no consequences
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on November 03, 2021, 11:11:19 AM

Let's call out the Tories' behaviour for what it is: corruption
Keir Starmer
Conservative support for Owen Paterson is a disgrace. Politics needs to be cleaned up

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/03/call-out-tories-corruption-conservative-owen-paterson-keir-starmer

At least Owen Paterson fell on his sword* which is more then can be said for Geoffrey Cox who trousered half a million moonlighting using a taxpayer funded office.

*I did not read the Guardian link but I wonder if it saw fit to mention his wife took her own life? Maybe some support is not such a bad thing given the circumstances. :-\ 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Is all the bluff and bluster finally wearing off?

Ten days that turned Boris Johnson from election winner to political liability

This is the man who wrote two different versions of a newspaper article: one in which he advocated that the UK should remain in the EU, and one in which he supported Brexit. He decided to do the latter and jump on the Brexit bandwagon, just to further his political career. He had no clue what he was getting into, and he stil doesn't. (And neither do most that supported him or Brexit)

So as a politician he doesn't seem principle minded at all: just an old fashioned private boarding school "chum", with connections, lucrative earnings on the side and mistresses...

vandermolen

I find this whole business infinitely depressing. Johnson is now surrounded by yes men and women (like Andrea Leadsom).
As far as I'm concerned Johnson has no redeeming features whatsoever.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 16, 2021, 09:29:53 AM
I find this whole business infinitely depressing. Johnson is now surrounded by yes men and women (like Andrea Leadsom).
As far as I'm concerned Johnson has no redeeming features whatsoever.

Amen to that!!

vandermolen

Goes from bad to worse:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59373237

But, of course, Johnson is 'a winner' so it doesn't really matter what he does.
As Ken Clarke recently said, Britain is becoming an elected dictatorship.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: vandermolen on November 22, 2021, 08:21:33 AM
Goes from bad to worse:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59373237

But, of course, Johnson is 'a winner' so it doesn't really matter what he does.
As Ken Clarke recently said, Britain is becoming an elected dictatorship.

He's saying "Don't talk about sleaze. Talk about Pepper Pig instead."

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on November 22, 2021, 08:58:23 AM
He's saying "Don't talk about sleaze. Talk about Pepper Pig instead."
Indeed!

Iota

He surely set a new low for levels of inanity in a British prime minister, from the moment he entered Downing St. : (

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on November 23, 2021, 12:20:00 PM
He surely set a new low for levels of inanity in a British prime minister, from the moment he entered Downing St. : (
+1

SimonNZ

I hadn't taken an interest before so I was surprised the other day when I got a trivia question about how many children Boris Johnson has and the correct answer was seven.

At the to of his wikipedia page his number of children is " at least seven". The text suggests some of these have been admitted to only quite recently.

Mandryka

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 11, 2021, 08:53:47 AM
I hadn't taken an interest before so I was surprised the other day when I got a trivia question about how many children Boris Johnson has and the correct answer was seven.

At the to of his wikipedia page his number of children is " at least seven". The text suggests some of these have been admitted to only quite recently.

All those people with his genes. Kill me now!

SimonNZ

There was a time when this would have been big enough news to have made the headlines out my way. Is this a big deal in Britain or just "typical Boris"?

Frankly I'm amazed this oaf has made it out of virginity.

vandermolen

Johnson, in his desperation, is now lashing out at the BBC. He clearly sees them as 'Enemies of the People' as in Stalinist Russia.

'Boris Johnson's blast at BBC over partygate: PM tells friends the 'frivolous, vengeful, partisan' Corporation has neglected its primary duty to focus on the Covid-19 booster jab rollout'

Roasted Swan

For those not familiar do search for Michael Spicer/The Room next door.  Very funny whether its Trump or Boris the Brianless..... for example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DjVPx0o_O8

Mandryka

Why so much fuss about the party? Choose from the following:

1. It is really terrible etc etc etc.
2. The media owners and other significant tory party sponsors want to give him a serious warning or even get him out now, because he's too profligate. All that levelling up costs money.
3. The right of the tory party -- Gove and his acolyte Sunak -  feel the time is right for a putsch.

I think 2 and 3.

Mandryka

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on December 12, 2021, 09:52:30 AM
Why so much fuss about the party? Choose from the following:

1. It is really terrible etc etc etc.
2. The media owners and other significant tory party sponsors want to give him a serious warning or even get him out now, because he's too profligate. All that levelling up costs money.
3. The right of the tory party -- Gove and his acolyte Sunak -  feel the time is right for a putsch.

I think 2 and 3.

I think all three. As for 1, his position is hopelessly compromised. If the Omicron variant turns out to be so dangerous as to be no option other then a complete lock-down over the Christmas holiday he has lost all authority to issue it. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on December 14, 2021, 01:04:34 AM
I think all three. As for 1, his position is hopelessly compromised. If the Omicron variant turns out to be so dangerous as to be no option other then a complete lock-down over the Christmas holiday he has lost all authority to issue it.

In my opinion in the very unlikely event that they will want a "complete lockdown" over Christmas the British people will comply, just as they are complying with his exhortation to get boosted now,  because they are frightened.

Do you really think the British people care if he had a party, any more than they care if he is lining the pockets of his friends? They probably think it's a good thing, only natural, who wouldn't do the same if they could?

steve ridgway

I'm glad to hear something like 70 Conservative MPs are expected to not vote for all the latest COVID restrictions on the grounds of limiting personal freedom and edging towards an authoritarian regime of police demanding to see one's papers at any time - as they're apparently doing to diners in restaurants in Italy.