The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Also for us abroad, it will be interesting to see if the ~colourful fellow can find a way through the current barage of criticism ... obviously it's all being covered intensely by the press here also.

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on December 14, 2021, 01:52:56 AM
In my opinion in the very unlikely event that they will want a "complete lockdown" over Christmas the British people will comply, just as they are complying with his exhortation to get boosted now,  because they are frightened.

Do you really think the British people care if he had a party, any more than they care if he is lining the pockets of his friends? They probably think it's a good thing, only natural, who wouldn't do the same if they could?

Well I for one bloody care! And no I wouldn't do the same - no way. Maybe I have a higher opinion of the British people then you do. Johnson needs to be very careful as hypocrisy is a most dangerous animal. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mandryka on December 14, 2021, 01:52:56 AM
In my opinion in the very unlikely event that they will want a "complete lockdown" over Christmas the British people will comply, just as they are complying with his exhortation to get boosted now,  because they are frightened.

Do you really think the British people care if he had a party, any more than they care if he is lining the pockets of his friends? They probably think it's a good thing, only natural, who wouldn't do the same if they could?

Sorry - not sure where you are based.  FOR SURE I care VERY MUCH that Bo Jo is a lying duplicitous shit.  I care VERY MUCH that his staff and lackies decided that the rules did not apply to them a year ago.  I care VERY MUCH that we have as a Prime Minister a man who believes that he can lie with impunity.  The 48% do not not forget this and for you to imply that we do is ignorant and the implication that we would all do the same is an insult.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 14, 2021, 09:01:54 AM
Well I for one bloody care! And no I wouldn't do the same - no way. Maybe I have a higher opinion of the British people then you do. Johnson needs to be very careful as hypocrisy is a most dangerous animal.
+1

Having a party when people were not allowed to see their dying loved ones was appalling. He should go.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

So Boris is being threatened with a leadership challenge if he doesn't change his line (i.e. stops liberticide measures like mask mandates and vaccine passports) and he was supported by Labour. I wonder if he will cross the floor. He could make a good Labour Party leader.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Roasted Swan on December 14, 2021, 09:19:09 AM
Sorry - not sure where you are based.  FOR SURE I care VERY MUCH that Bo Jo is a lying duplicitous shit.  I care VERY MUCH that his staff and lackies decided that the rules did not apply to them a year ago.  I care VERY MUCH that we have as a Prime Minister a man who believes that he can lie with impunity.  The 48% do not not forget this and for you to imply that we do is ignorant and the implication that we would all do the same is an insult.

Let's watch the polls over 2022 then!  My own view is Brits generally see him as a loveable rogue and an adorable party animal. And quite a few of them were having their own Christmas parties last year to boot. He's one of the lads!

Of course their opinion may be changed by the Rupert Murdoch machine.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 14, 2021, 09:37:23 AM
+1

Having a party when people were not allowed to see their dying loved ones was appalling. He should go.

We spent last Christmas away from our kids and grandchildren following the rules.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Well IMO the problem is not Boris Johnson, it is the Tory Party and the media, and probably the first past the post system too.

Focussing attention on one man, BJ, is a distraction from the real problem, which, I think, is the influence of capitalist backers on the parties' policies, and on the attitudes of the people they govern. If you think BJ's Tory party is cruel,  just wait till he's ousted and the right of the Tory party -- Sunak or even Gove --  hold the reins. You ain't seen nothing yet, and I think we should count our blessings with Boris.

The parliamentary labour party isn't significantly better. Starmer is hardly less dishonorable than Boris. Labour or Tory, same difference as far as I can see.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 14, 2021, 11:18:17 AM
So Boris is being threatened with a leadership challenge if he doesn't change his line (i.e. stops liberticide measures like mask mandates and vaccine passports) and he was supported by Labour. I wonder if he will cross the floor. He could make a good Labour Party leader.

Do you mean his politics are laboured?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Herman

I am appalled to read that Downing St 10 throws 'bring your own booze' xmas parties for its staff.

What kind of cheapskatery is this?

The new erato

I'm afraid anything Boris does, is mainly about himself.

And this is not political. Mainly because Boris is not about politics.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on December 15, 2021, 02:10:17 AM
Well IMO the problem is not Boris Johnson, it is the Tory Party and the media, and probably the first past the post system too.

The parliamentary labour party isn't significantly better. Starmer is hardly less dishonorable than Boris. Labour or Tory, same difference as far as I can see.
I'm not so sure. A fish always rots from the head down.

Starmer may not be especially charismatic but in comparison with the lying, incompetent charlatan that we have as PM (hopefully not for much longer) he is a model of probity and integrity.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: The new erato on January 11, 2022, 02:19:58 AM
I'm afraid anything Boris does, is mainly about himself.

And this is not political. Mainly because Boris is not about politics.

Nail hit squarely on head. Two sentences that sum him up perfectly. He is a dead man walking, not because he is evil, which I do not think he is. Without the epidemic he may have ridden the crest of a wave but his lack of understanding of common decency and self awareness of his failings was always going to catch him out. "Bring your own booze" gatherings in the garden of No.10 while telling the nation to avoid all contact with their loved ones even if dying in a hospital bed is beyond inexcusable. He is done.

Angela Rayner worries me which makes me think she would make a good leader of the Labour party. Johnson must be praying that Starmer is out of self-isolation and faces him and not Rayner across the dispatch box tomorrow at Prime Minister Questions.   

Mandryka

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2022, 05:32:28 AM
I'm not so sure. A fish always rots from the head down.

Starmer may not be especially charismatic but in comparison with the lying, incompetent charlatan that we have as PM (hopefully not for much longer) he is a model of probity and integrity.

Starmer was elected on the bases of 10 Pledges. He hasn't kept them.

https://keirstarmer.com/plans/10-pledges/

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on January 11, 2022, 01:33:16 PM
Nail hit squarely on head. Two sentences that sum him up perfectly. He is a dead man walking, not because he is evil, which I do not think he is. Without the epidemic he may have ridden the crest of a wave but his lack of understanding of common decency and self awareness of his failings was always going to catch him out. "Bring your own booze" gatherings in the garden of No.10 while telling the nation to avoid all contact with their loved ones even if dying in a hospital bed is beyond inexcusable. He is done.

Angela Rayner worries me which makes me think she would make a good leader of the Labour party. Johnson must be praying that Starmer is out of self-isolation and faces him and not Rayner across the dispatch box tomorrow at Prime Minister Questions.   

There were no gatherings

There were gatherings, but not parties

There were parties, but not organised

They were organised, but the PM didn't know

The PM knew, but didn't attend

The PM did attend, but didn't kill any hookers...

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1480650628544319493

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on January 11, 2022, 01:51:40 PM
Starmer was elected on the bases of 10 Pledges. He hasn't kept them.

https://keirstarmer.com/plans/10-pledges/
Interesting point but don't these depend on him being in power? He seems to have acted against antisemitism within the Labour Party as far as I can tell.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 11, 2022, 01:33:16 PM

Very much agree with your first paragraph Lol.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2022, 11:02:53 PM
Very much agree with your first paragraph Lol.

I'm becoming mightily fed up with the "great" institutions of our country, Jeffrey. Not just politics but amongst others Royalty, BBC and Courts of Justice - a rabble can pull down a statue of a historical figure they happen not to like with complete impunity.

Pohjolas Daughter

Apparently Johnson is now apologizing for attending that drinks party (now on CNN and also showing on the BBC website).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 12, 2022, 04:18:41 AM
Apparently Johnson is now apologizing for attending that drinks party (now on CNN and also showing on the BBC website).

PD
He said that he thought it was a 'work meeting'. I don't ever remember attending a work meeting where I had been asked to bring my own alcohol along!