The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2022, 05:32:54 AM
He said that he thought it was a 'work meeting'. I don't ever remember attending a work meeting where I had been asked to bring my own alcohol along!
:laugh:

But, seriously.....sigh.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

One perspective on this disgraceful episode (echoing several identical personal stories mentioned in Parliament yesterday, during an Urgent Question session Boris deemed not necessary to attend):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/12/rory-kinnear-no-10-lockdown-party-buried-sister
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 12, 2022, 06:04:35 AM
One perspective on this disgraceful episode (echoing several identical personal stories mentioned in Parliament yesterday, during an Urgent Question session Boris deemed not necessary to attend):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/12/rory-kinnear-no-10-lockdown-party-buried-sister
Very moving and beautifully written Olivier - I read about this story earlier today. Thanks for posting it.
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Quote from: Irons on January 12, 2022, 12:58:53 AM
I'm becoming mightily fed up with the "great" institutions of our country, Jeffrey. Not just politics but amongst others Royalty, BBC and Courts of Justice - a rabble can pull down a statue of a historical figure they happen not to like with complete impunity.

So... there is a crisis in the UK....check...  ;)

As I said the before: the focus on the EU was mere external projection. Politically a very old and convenient way to channel popular discontent.

Herman

Yeah, he had not realized that the 'bring your own booze' event was not a form of work.  ::)

Makes you wonder...

(I see Vandermolen said the same thing)

Irons

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2022, 07:37:54 AM
So... there is a crisis in the UK....check...  ;)

As I said the before: the focus on the EU was mere external projection. Politically a very old and convenient way to channel popular discontent.

The only connection with Brexit for this whole sorry tale is the architect of that is the centre of this.

I may be whistling in the wind but the only good thing to come out of this is democracy is shown to work. Would Putin, Trump or even Macron be forced to go through what I witnessed yesterday at Prime Minister's Questions in the House?

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Quote from: Irons on January 13, 2022, 08:18:40 AM
The only connection with Brexit for this whole sorry tale is the architect of that is the centre of this.

My point is that this is no coincidence.

QuoteI may be whistling in the wind but the only good thing to come out of this is democracy is shown to work. Would Putin, Trump or even Macron be forced to go through what I witnessed yesterday at Prime Minister's Questions in the House?

No, you're absolutely right. British democracy is still very much alive, but...

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on January 12, 2022, 11:01:49 AM
Yeah, he had not realized that the 'bring your own booze' event was not a form of work.  ::)

Makes you wonder...

(I see Vandermolen said the same thing)

It's a strange thing, that an experienced politician could have had such bad judgement. I mean, it was just obviously very risky to have allowed parties to happen in Downing Street -- the risks far outweigh the rewards and that was obvious at the time. I guess it says something about human nature.

Boris Johnson. The man who made Brexit happen, the man who vaccinated Britain and never took away our freedom if he could avoid it, brought low by a garden party. Tragic hero, tragic flaw, hubris.

The other odd thing, which I just don't understand, is the cheapness of having a "bring your own" party at number 10! These people had been working real hard, why on earth didn't he order in a few cases of booze?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on January 12, 2022, 12:58:53 AM
I'm becoming mightily fed up with the "great" institutions of our country . . . a rabble can pull down a statue of a historical figure they happen not to like with complete impunity.

Do you think we should get rid of trial by jury?

MusicTurner

Earlier, the thought occurred to me that 'bring your own booze' could be a covid measure, and/or avoidance of any servant witnesses. Obviously possibly wrong options. These people live rather unusual lives.

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2022, 08:33:55 AM

The other odd thing, which I just don't understand, is the cheapness of having a "bring your own" party at number 10! These people had been working real hard, why on earth didn't he order in a few cases of booze?

Resentment over this cheapness may have started the leaks.

Karma...

Papy Oli

Ordering cases of drinks would a leave a receipt on the books ( you would think) and therefore a minute trace that they may or may not have had a jolly time with it through an expense justification. Given the  number of "events", that would be a lot of receipts as well.

If they make the staff bring their own booze, It is just one more small way for Boris to plead ignorance to the event (like he just did with the invite email that he " hasn't" sanctioned, seen or read). Just one more way to throw his private secretary and the No.10 staff under the bus to protect himself.

Possibly  :blank:

BYOB however gave the opportunity to the staff to, smartly, bring in at least some of those invisible bottles to the party, because, evidently, Boris didn't see any of them when he turned up in his garden exactly at the starting time of the work event, as advised in the email invite to the party that he didn't sanction or see or read in the first place.

>:D

(I woke up in a cranky mood. I blame the Ashes' score  :P )
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2022, 08:36:45 AM
Do you think we should get rid of trial by jury?

No, get rid of the judges.

The jury took just two hours to acquit the Shadwell tree after being told by Judge Silas Reid -
Are we sure that a conviction of the defendants for obstructing the railway is necessary in a democratic society in the interest of public safety, prevention of disorder or protection of rights and freedoms of others?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Pohjolas Daughter

Heard this morning that Johnson has apologized to the Queen for holding the party--and on the day before Prince Philip's funeral.    ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 15, 2022, 03:02:43 AM
Heard this morning that Johnson has apologized to the Queen for holding the party--and on the day before Prince Philip's funeral.    ::)

PD
Yes, not a good look PD!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2022, 02:36:26 AM
Quite an interesting report here on the Sue Gray investigation

https://davidallengreen.com/2022/01/some-thoughts-about-the-sue-gray-investigation/

I think this whole affair more a moral issue then a legal one. The inquiry was set up to buy Johnson time and hope the simmering anger the country feels will subside. He is not showing his face because a family member has tested positive - I reckon it is Dilyn.  ???

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 18, 2022, 12:26:46 AM
I think this whole affair more a moral issue then a legal one. The inquiry was set up to buy Johnson time and hope the simmering anger the country feels will subside. He is not showing his face because a family member has tested positive - I reckon it is Dilyn.  ???
I had to google who Dilyn was--cute dog!  Hopefully Larry didn't catch Covid!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Herman

It just feels like a slow extended death rattle.

Even to the hardcore Brexiteer Tories, Johnson has served his purpose.

They don't want him anymore. Too much drama all the time.