The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Herman on January 19, 2022, 08:36:29 AM
It just feels like a slow extended death rattle.

Even to the hardcore Brexiteer Tories, Johnson has served his purpose.

They don't want him anymore. Too much drama all the time.

Agreed, especially last sentence. Enough of that. We want less drama! Step up Mr Hunt!! Can you imagine the next election Jeremy Hunt v Sir Kier Starmer? ??? We always seem to follow America and I can see us following the same route with a similar outcome.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on January 19, 2022, 08:36:29 AM
It just feels like a slow extended death rattle.

Even to the hardcore Brexiteer Tories, Johnson has served his purpose.

They don't want him anymore. Too much drama all the time.

Getting rid of him is a complicated business. First, if they trigger a vote of no confidence and it fails, they will have to wait 12 months for another one. Second, it may be better to wait for the impending cost of living crisis to be felt, blame it on BJ, and get rid of him then.

He has some time to save his position still. Whether he survives the Black report probably depends on whether Dominic Cummings will provide documentation showing that BJ was warned about rule breaking in No. 10. If not, he could well get through all of this - just a gentle reprimand for being "unwise" - and the rest of the party - which is stinging slightly because of the Blackford defection - will rally round him in a show of unity.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: Oliver Cromwell dismissing parliament in 1653It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place,

which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.

Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.

Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?

Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.

I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.

Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

Florestan

Hah! I have selected from the Cromwell speech those lines that apply to the Romanian parliament word by word. The last one is particularly apt.

Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on January 21, 2022, 04:34:15 AM
Hah! I have selected from the Cromwell speech those lines that apply to the Romanian parliament word by word. The last one is particularly apt.

I saw this quote today........
"What we learn from History is that we don't learn from History....."

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 21, 2022, 04:50:28 AM

True.

I tell you honestly, if a Cromwell would appear in Romania, he'd be hugely popular and have massive support.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 21, 2022, 04:50:28 AM
I agree (and I'm a History teacher).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Maybe a better version would be '... that we don't learn enough from History' ...

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on January 21, 2022, 05:01:05 AM
True.

I tell you honestly, if a Cromwell would appear in Romania, he'd be hugely popular and have massive support.

Cromwell's solution was to say: I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.

Same solution as Trump's on Jan 6 2021.

I know many people who feel absolutely hopeless about the state of parliamentary politics in capitalist countries today. None of them I know has ever suggested a coup d'état. But in fact, all they do is wring their hands.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 21, 2022, 10:11:47 AM
I know many people who feel absolutely hopeless about the state of parliamentary politics in capitalist countries today. None of them I know has ever suggested a coup d'état. But in fact, all they do is wring their hands.

I know. It's the same in Romania among educated people. But many, if not most, of the less educated or the poorly educated would most certainly welcome a Cromwell and rally behind him en masse --- and honestly I can't blame them and I can't even dismiss the possibility that I find myself in full agreement with them should the opportunity arise.  ;D

A few years ago I stumbled upon the following book title: Democracy: The God that Failed. I haven't read the book but I'd change the title to Parliamentary Democracy: The God that Never Was;D

Mandryka

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on January 29, 2022, 07:34:30 AM

I'm becoming bemused by all this. The only person I can see benefiting from Cressida Dick (if ever a name appropriate) wading in with her size 2 1/2 boots is Johnson himself! From being shafted a short week ago he is now on the front foot, Gray for the time being has been silenced. All sounds Machiavellian to me.
Why is Starmer not calling for an election?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Iota

Yes it's weird/upside-down, the Met seems to have done him a big favour. He seems in a stronger position now a police investigation into his apparent wrongdoings has been announced, than he was last week!

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on January 30, 2022, 01:35:53 AM
I'm becoming bemused by all this. The only person I can see benefiting from Cressida Dick (if ever a name appropriate) wading in with her size 2 1/2 boots is Johnson himself! From being shafted a short week ago he is now on the front foot, Gray for the time being has been silenced. All sounds Machiavellian to me.
Why is Starmer not calling for an election?

Boris is a greased piglet.

Mandryka

The head of Professional Standards at the Met is Bas Javid, who is Sajid Javid's older brother.

Bas Javid reports to Helen Ball who reports to Cressida Dick (her wife) who reports to Priti Patel who reports to Boris Johnson. Sajid Javid reports to Boris Johnson.

It all seems a bit incestuous.

Irons

MusicTurner

Truss tested corona positive a couple of hours after attending the turbulent House of Commons meeting today, unmasked, where BJ had to defend himself following the initial, critical Gray report ... she has had a 3rd jab, though.

Mandryka

vandermolen