The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

The integrity of the UK government desperately needs to be restored and that simply can't happen while Johnson remains at Downing Street. It's not about wine and cheese 'gatherings', being 'ambushed' by a cake or 'bring your own booze' but about the (lack of) honesty and trustworthiness of the Prime Minister.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 06, 2022, 12:21:24 AM
The word is Carrie has had enough and wants out. Johnson on the other hand has said it will take a Panzer division to get him out. It can be arranged, Boris!
???  Oh, boy!
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 06, 2022, 12:38:11 AM
If Johnson goes, what direction will the Tories go?

10 years of austerity under Sunak.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

Quote from: Irons on February 06, 2022, 12:21:24 AM
The word is Carrie has had enough and wants out. Johnson on the other hand has said it will take a Panzer division to get him out. It can be arranged, Boris!

That's funny. As if it matters what Carrie wants.

All it takes is enough Out letters from Tories.

Mandryka

Re BJ staying or leaving, the fundamental question is whether he looks now like he will be a promising leader in the 2024 elections. The mid term polls don't look bad in that respect. For that reason, I think he'll stay.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/issue/Voting_Intention?content=trackers

Herman

Yeah, but he's got to deliver that Shakespeare biography, too, doesn't he?

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on February 06, 2022, 01:37:11 AM

All it takes is enough Out letters from Tories.

Not quite, the out letters trigger a vote of no confidence. He can win a vote of no confidence and if he does there can't be another one for 12 months.

There will only be enough out letters if they think he'll lose them their seat in the next election and they think that now is the time to oust him. The prospective replacements may feel it's better to bide their time, let him take more blame for economic problems in 2022. The out letters, if they come at all, may not come until 2023, ready for an election in 2024.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on February 06, 2022, 01:40:12 AM
Yeah, but he's got to deliver that Shakespeare biography, too, doesn't he?

He actually said something interesting about Shakespeare which had never occurred to me before -- that Othello's tragic flaw was that he trusted people too much. I'm looking forward to the book now.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 06, 2022, 12:50:38 AM
The integrity of the UK government desperately needs to be restored and that simply can't happen while Johnson remains at Downing Street. It's not about wine and cheese 'gatherings', being 'ambushed' by a cake or 'bring your own booze' but about the (lack of) honesty and trustworthiness of the Prime Minister.

EXACTLY how I see it too.  Add in a cheap/unsubstanitated shot at Keir Starmer re Jimmy Saville as some kind of waggish aside and he is simply not fit for the office he occupies.  I've disagreed with just about every Conservative politician my whole life but I'm not sure I considered them liars and charlatans as default.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2022, 01:45:26 AM
He actually said something interesting about Shakespeare which had never occurred to me before -- that Othello's tragic flaw was that he trusted people too much. I'm looking forward to the book now.

That would get him a D on a two-page high school essay.

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2022, 01:45:26 AM

It's probably something he picked up from a conversation he had with a Shakespeare scholar he'd interviewed.

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2022, 01:44:22 AM
Not quite, the out letters trigger a vote of no confidence. He can win a vote of no confidence and if he does there can't be another one for 12 months.

There will only be enough out letters if they think he'll lose them their seat in the next election and they think that now is the time to oust him. The prospective replacements may feel it's better to bide their time, let him take more blame for economic problems in 2022. The out letters, if they come at all, may not come until 2023, ready for an election in 2024.

You're right.

One of the Dutch newspapers has a big story about the increased need for food banks in the UK, due to rising cost of living.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on February 06, 2022, 04:02:36 AM

One of the Dutch newspapers has a big story about the increased need for food banks in the UK, due to rising cost of living.

I did hear that food banks this winter have been under more demand than before. Same in France for Restos du Coeur, maybe the same all over Europe.

Mandryka

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2022, 06:20:35 AM
I did hear that food banks this winter have been under more demand than before. Same in France for Restos du Coeur, maybe the same all over Europe.
Heard similar stories around here.   :(  Have seen food and other products when on sale go flying off of the shelves--much faster than usual it seems to me.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2022, 06:20:35 AM

I think so, too. I read that article about the dire circs in the UK as a typical case of 'look they're doing bad! Never mind what's going on here with us.'

Mandryka

I feel slightly embarrassed to be British - I know that's silly, but really, I mean Truss is  just totally incompetent in a négociation which kind of matters big time.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5207486?tg

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on February 10, 2022, 07:45:59 AM
I feel slightly embarrassed to be British - I know that's silly, but really, I mean Truss is  just totally incompetent in a négociation which kind of matters big time.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5207486?tg

Slightly?

What pisses me off is not her negotiation skills but she deems it necessary flying to Australia in a private jet at a cost of £500,000 for the British taxpayer.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Biden and Macron walk past Johnson, ignoring him

Johnson wanders aimlessly at the NATO summit

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukiswitheu/status/1506996196879044618