The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on March 24, 2022, 08:29:49 AM
Biden and Macron walk past Johnson, ignoring him

Johnson wanders aimlessly at the NATO summit

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukiswitheu/status/1506996196879044618

I don't think it is just a personal thing. The UK has tried very hard to make itself as insignificant and unrelieble as possible on the world stage - and it succeeded. Ask yourself: does either Biden or Macron need the UK to forge crucial deals?

Florestan

Is what I heard is true, he compensated by a particularly furibund anti-Putin speech. (Which was probably right).
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Que

Quote from: Florestan on March 24, 2022, 09:02:58 AM
Is what I heard is true, he compensated by a particularly furibund anti-Putin speech. (Which was probably right).

He also compared Ukraine's fight against the Russian invasion with Brexit....   ::)

Mandryka

He looks a mess, his whistle and flute is crumpled, his tie is all wrong, he's turned into a real porker too. Billie Bunter. I wonder if he's drinking too much. I mean, he must be surrounded by people who get him spruced up for the cameras, so he must be refusing their advice stubbornly.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Que on March 24, 2022, 09:09:08 AM
He also compared Ukraine's fight against the Russian invasion with Brexit....   ::)

This is bullshit on stilts.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on March 24, 2022, 09:32:28 AM
He looks a mess, his whistle and flute is crumpled, his tie is all wrong, he's turned into a real porker too. Billie Bunter. I wonder if he's drinking too much. I mean, he must be surrounded by people who get him spruced up for the cameras, so he must be refusing their advice stubbornly.

He should write Putin a thank-you note .... if it weren't for the Russian invasion, he wouldn't be PM anymore.

Mandryka

Here's another embarrassing one - here he really looks to me like someone who drinks more than they should

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on March 24, 2022, 09:44:03 AM
Here's another embarrassing one - here he really looks to me like someone who drinks more than they should

Can't disagree, but more embarrassing for me as a Romanian is the backstage position the Romanian president took (fourth from the right, backmost row). For Heaven's sake, in these times he should have been front row, shoulder to shoulder with Poland and the Baltic States --- not that they were there either. WTF?  >:(

Mandryka

Ursula ignoring The UK now

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1507030373049548805

With 🇪🇺 🇺🇸 🇨🇦 🇯🇵 leaders here, Brussels is today the centre of the free world.

What about ?

Florestan

Que

Quote from: Florestan on March 24, 2022, 01:18:16 PM
BoJo is an idiot, no doubt about it.

After his 2016 comparison of the European Union with Napoleon's and Hitler's attempts to "unify" Europe , nothing BoJo says really surprises me.  8)

He is desperate to prove that with his (last minute) decision to go with Brexit, he was on the right side of history.
Well, he was wrong and he probably knows it.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on March 24, 2022, 01:43:08 PM
After his comparison of the European Union with Napoleon's and Hitler's attempts to "unify" Europe

Did he really? If yes, he's even more of an idiot than I thought.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Que on March 24, 2022, 01:43:08 PM
After his 2016 comparison of the European Union with Napoleon's and Hitler's attempts to "unify" Europe , nothing BoJo says really surprises me.  8)

He is desperate to prove that with his (last minute) decision to go with Brexit, he was on the right side of history.
Well, he was wrong and he probably knows it.

I'll probably regret posting to a non-music thread, because they are not part of why I like GMG so very much and because the political threads sometimes make me quite sad, but I have a level of appreciation for Johnson. I've never been a federalist, and although I am a huge Europhile, have never been a fan of the political elements of the eurozone. I find Johnson's oddities less grating than many, I think. I have to engage in some of the political outworkings of the UK's EU exit because of my day job, and don't envy those at the very pointiest end.

I'm not sure that there is a right side of history about all of this, but I wouldn't be PM for a big pile of new CDs.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Que

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 25, 2022, 06:20:49 AM
I'll probably regret posting to a non-music thread, because they are not part of why I like GMG so very much and because the political threads sometimes make me quite sad, but I have a level of appreciation for Johnson. I've never been a federalist, and although I am a huge Europhile, have never been a fan of the political elements of the eurozone. I find Johnson's oddities less grating than many, I think. I have to engage in some of the political outworkings of the UK's EU exit because of my day job, and don't envy those at the very pointiest end.

I'm not sure that there is a right side of history about all of this, but I wouldn't be PM for a big pile of new CDs.

Well, I agree in many respects with your comments.
I too get saddened by the state of politics, and I wouldn't want to be a politician for all the tea in China.

The European Union was a political project right from its inception. And nobody needs to like that, not even BoJo, and no country needs to participate in it against its will. And it was clear all along that the UK was in it for other reasons. But the blatant lies and the outright demonisation of the EU and its objectives that BoJo & friends deemed necessary to get sufficient public support to leave, have taken their toll on the UK's relations with the rest of Europe and its standing on the world stage.

The fact that BoJo stills finds it necessary after all this time to justify himself by painting Brexit as an heroic act similar to Ukraine's resistance against an invasion by a foreign agressor, reeks of desperation and leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many that walk the corridors of power in Europe. In other words: the PM has done the UK another great disservice, by comparing the EU with Russia - after he compared it with Nazi Germany before. It's not "odd" or silly, it's insulting and very damaging.

JBS

The EU politicians may not like it, but BoJo's dislike of the EU has some deep roots: from the Glorious Revolution through 1945, UK foreign policy had a guiding principle regarding Europe: no single country or bloc of countries should dominate the continent.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Que on March 25, 2022, 09:27:28 AM
Well, I agree in many respects with your comments.
I too get saddened by the state of politics, and I wouldn't want to be a politician for all the tea in China.

The European Union was a political project right from its inception. And nobody needs to like that, not even BoJo, and no country needs to participate in it against its will. And it was clear all along that the UK was in it for other reasons. But the blatant lies and the outright demonisation of the EU and its objectives that BoJo & friends deemed necessary to get sufficient public support to leave, have taken their toll on the UK's relations with the rest of Europe and its standing on the world stage.

The fact that BoJo stills finds it necessary after all this time to justify himself by painting Brexit as an heroic act similar to Ukraine's resistance against an invasion by a foreign agressor, reeks of desperation and leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many that walk the corridors of power in Europe. In other words: the PM has done the UK another great disservice, by comparing the EU with Russia - after he compared it with Nazi Germany before. It's not "odd" or silly, it's insulting and very damaging.

Well said Que!

Que

Quote from: JBS on March 25, 2022, 10:05:45 AM
The EU politicians may not like it, but BoJo's dislike of the EU has some deep roots: from the Glorious Revolution through 1945, UK foreign policy had a guiding principle regarding Europe: no single country or bloc of countries should dominate the continent.

I think you're right and I think this is generally well understood.

I do question the wisdom of trying to navigate a country through the 21st century on the basis of pre-20th century imperial political wisdoms. But that's just me...  8)

BoJo wants to be Churchill, but Churchill is gone... and so is the British empire.

foxandpeng

As I say, glad it's not my job.

Hurray for music.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on March 24, 2022, 08:29:49 AM
Biden and Macron walk past Johnson, ignoring him

Johnson wanders aimlessly at the NATO summit

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukiswitheu/status/1506996196879044618

I recall Theresa May treated in the same way at a EU summit when PM. Maybe not personal rather they just don't like the UK.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.