The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

The group picture with those PMs and what have you, and Johnson just looking like the janitor who accidentally wandered in... terrible.

This is a guy who grew up in privilege, excellent schools and yet he can't quote anything without getting it backwards (no one notices), and he looks like a case of arrested development.

BTW I haven't heard any news about the shelves in the UK supermarkets lately. There were supposed to be shortages...

Irons

Quote from: Herman on March 28, 2022, 12:19:20 AM
The group picture with those PMs and what have you, and Johnson just looking like the janitor who accidentally wandered in... terrible.

This is a guy who grew up in privilege, excellent schools and yet he can't quote anything without getting it backwards (no one notices), and he looks like a case of arrested development.

BTW I haven't heard any news about the shelves in the UK supermarkets lately. There were supposed to be shortages...

I kid you not. It has got so bad we have to pay £120 for a bottle of water!

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/luxury-water-london-fine-liquids-b2024034.html
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Herman

Quote from: Irons on March 28, 2022, 07:22:23 AM
I kid you not. It has got so bad we have to pay £120 for a bottle of water!

I see. Well, let's hope hoi polloi does not find out about this shop.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on March 28, 2022, 08:17:59 AM
I see. Well, let's hope hoi polloi does not find out about this shop.

It's real close to the Chelsea football ground, so they soon will.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

What's the fun of drinking 100 plus quid water if chavs do it, too?

Irons

Must be an opening on eBay. Water imported from the foothills of Tibet - bottled in Surrey. 8)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Johnson, Mrs Johnson and Sunak have now been fined by the police for breaking the law by attending parties, when such gatherings were prohibited. It's also clear that he lied to parliament. He should, of course, resign, but, of course, he won't, instead hiding behind President Zelensky to keep himself in power.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 12, 2022, 08:04:55 AM
Johnson, Mrs Johnson and Sunak have now been fined by the police for breaking the law by attending parties, when such gatherings were prohibited. It's also clear that he lied to parliament. He should, of course, resign, but, of course, he won't, instead hiding behind President Zelensky to keep himself in power.

Quod licet Jovi non licet bovi.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Herman

Mandryka

And no PMQs until April 20th, by which time it will be all forgotten.

Mandryka

This week in British politics

Tory MP convicted of child rape
Tory MP defends tory MP convicted of child rape
Prime Minister found guilty of breaking law
Chancellor of the Exchequer found guilty of breaking law
Prime Minister guilty of lying to parliament
Leading conservative suspended after dressing up as a Nazi (https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1513922239074385924)

And we still have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday . . . . to go. Fuck. I'm opening a bottle of wine.

Roasted Swan

Sadly I am sure you are completely correct.  And all these Tories who slightly piously are saying this is "no time" to change the PM as if Mr Putin gives a flying f**k about who is in Downing Street.  Johnson's caveated apology tonight ("I had a busy day....it was just a 10 minute party.....") still smacks of someone who clearly does not believe they did anything wrong.  Of course there is every chance he will be fined for attending more/other parties too.  But the fact remains he knowingly lied to Parliament and the British people about his personal conduct.  On those grounds alone he should go.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 12, 2022, 10:00:26 AM
Sadly I am sure you are completely correct.  And all these Tories who slightly piously are saying this is "no time" to change the PM as if Mr Putin gives a flying f**k about who is in Downing Street.  Johnson's caveated apology tonight ("I had a busy day....it was just a 10 minute party.....") still smacks of someone who clearly does not believe they did anything wrong.  Of course there is every chance he will be fined for attending more/other parties too.  But the fact remains he knowingly lied to Parliament and the British people about his personal conduct.  On those grounds alone he should go.
I completely agree with you. Britain changed its PM during both the First and Second World War and I think that the war in Ukraine is a reason for Johnson to go and not to stay.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

DaveF

Quote from: Mandryka on April 12, 2022, 09:42:24 AM
This week in British politics

Leading conservative suspended after dressing up as a Nazi (https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1513922239074385924)

And we still have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday . . . . to go. Fuck. I'm opening a bottle of wine.

Ah, those wild parties in suburban back gardens in broad daylight - they're just the wildest.
And he has no recollection of dressing up in Nazi uniform - yeah, sort of thing that could easily slip the mind.

Is the wine to celebrate the impending collapse of this ludicrous regime?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mandryka on April 14, 2022, 02:56:51 AM
UK to send asylum seekers to Rwanda for processing

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/13/priti-patel-finalises-plan-to-send-asylum-seekers-to-rwanda

I think the intention is to encourage migrants to claim asylum in an EU country like they're supposed to rather than actually send anyone to Rwanda. Apparently Britain is so much more attractive than the EU that people will risk their lives to get here; Rwanda perhaps less so.

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on April 15, 2022, 12:00:12 AM
And he has no recollection of dressing up in Nazi uniform - yeah, sort of thing that could easily slip the mind.

I hope my old school friend who had his own Nazi uniform, including hand made jackboots, some 40 years ago never went into politics. He never appeared to have any right wing or racist tendencies, it seemed to be more of a rebellious pose.

DaveF

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 15, 2022, 01:56:11 AM
I hope my old school friend who had his own Nazi uniform, including hand made jackboots, some 40 years ago never went into politics. He never appeared to have any right wing or racist tendencies, it seemed to be more of a rebellious pose.

You weren't at Eton then, Steve?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mandryka

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 15, 2022, 01:52:05 AM
I think the intention is to encourage migrants to claim asylum in an EU country like they're supposed to rather than actually send anyone to Rwanda. Apparently Britain is so much more attractive than the EU that people will risk their lives to get here; Rwanda perhaps less so.

I also think the intention is to please Tory voters, and to mess up Labour.  Labour's basically in trouble whatever they do. If they say nothing their left will be angry. If they oppose it they'll lose all those gammon voters.

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1514606847432425474?s=21&t=aegZtvUhB_kedooDgEf8KQ

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on April 15, 2022, 03:33:41 AM
I also think the intention is to please Tory voters, and to mess up Labour.  Labour's basically in trouble whatever they do. If they say nothing their left will be angry. If they oppose it they'll lose all those gammon voters.

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1514606847432425474?s=21&t=aegZtvUhB_kedooDgEf8KQ

Labour need to say what they think. If it upsets the echo-chamber of Twitter or lose some right of centre votes then so be it. A clear vision of what they stand for is a platform for election success.