The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on June 27, 2022, 08:59:47 AM
Difficult to know as he's hiding away out of the country. Next it will be President Zelensky at the Tory Party Conference.

A crazy cynic might wonder if Boris is trying to do something of a 'Thatcher', for whom the Falklands war was arguably something of a saviour of her premiership, which had got off to a shaky start. With Boris, not in a position to declare his own war, hoping that association with the Ukraine conflict in a kind of rallying role, might have a similar effect on his career. Those crazy cynics ..  ::)

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on June 27, 2022, 12:01:07 PM
A crazy cynic might wonder if Boris is trying to do something of a 'Thatcher', for whom the Falklands war was arguably something of a saviour of her premiership, which had got off to a shaky start. With Boris, not in a position to declare his own war, hoping that association with the Ukraine conflict in a kind of rallying role, might have a similar effect on his career. Those crazy cynics ..  ::)
I'm sure that you are absolutely right about this. Johnson is trying to bathe in the reflected glory of Zelensky. Johnson's only aim, as far as I can see, is to maintain himself in power.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on June 27, 2022, 12:34:57 PM
I'm sure that you are absolutely right about this. Johnson is trying to bathe in the reflected glory of Zelensky. Johnson's only aim, as far as I can see, is to maintain himself in power.
Same as ever, then.

Mandryka

I think today is the beginning of the end of Boris.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Roasted Swan

Health Secretary and Chancellor have both just resigned from the Government as they no longer have any trust in the Prime Minister.......

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on July 05, 2022, 09:16:23 AM
I think today is the beginning of the end of Boris.

So do I. Sending colleagues out on the media circuit to lie for you with them believing it to be the truth is not going to build loyalty. Be gone, time's up.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

see below.....

Jo498

There is that 1960s sandal film called "The Fall of the Roman Empire". It's actually about Marcus Aurelius' son Emperor Commodus (also the villain in "Gladiator") in the late 2nd century AD and before the end credits there is some blurb that this was the beginning of the end etc. But it was almost another 300 years until the end of the Western Empire. So it can still take a long time...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

I wonder if BJ will attempt some Trump-like coup. Nothing would surprise me. Probably we will see President Zelensky at Downing Street next and then meeting the Queen.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 06, 2022, 01:00:12 AM
I wonder if BJ will attempt some Trump-like coup. Nothing would surprise me. Probably we will see President Zelensky at Downing Street next and then meeting the Queen.

I think that possible, Jeffrey. The men in grey suits aka 1922 committee will turn up and say out you go and Boris will reply "sod off". Watching Prime Minister's Question Time in the House today I actually felt sorry for him. Starmer wasn't problematic, but the speech from Javid was death by many cuts and it showed on Boris' face (more importantly his Ministers sitting either side). He looked broken. When the Speaker called halt to the proceedings the first person out of there was Boris.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

For somebody who wanted to become and to have been prime minister, he seems keen to hang on to the bit in between. Funny that...

Good riddance, he's taken us for mugs for far too long. I hope we can see the back of most of his cabinet too.  >:(
Olivier

Mandryka

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 06, 2022, 07:56:50 AM
For somebody who wanted to become and to have been prime minister, he seems keen to hang on to the bit in between. Funny that...

Good riddance, he's taken us for mugs for far too long. I hope we can see the back of most of his cabinet too.  >:(

Presumably he wants maximise his feeding at the trough.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mandryka on July 06, 2022, 08:56:26 AM
Presumably he wants maximise his feeding at the trough.

He's probably stripping off some of the luxurious wallpaper to take back home  ;D
Olivier

Iota

Oh I think he enjoys being in the spotlight alright, but he just doesn't have any passion for doing anything prime ministerial like trying to improve other people's lives, 'other' being the rather key word, as he seems very keen on improving his own.

Agreed, for starters the absence of both Dominic Raab and Priti Patel would be a very welcome development.

vandermolen

BJ's increasingly behaving like Trump - refusing to acknowledge defeat and adopting a pseudo presidential style, which is completely at odds with the British system.

Que

Quote from: vandermolen on July 06, 2022, 10:06:27 PM
BJ's increasingly behaving like Trump - refusing to acknowledge defeat and adopting a pseudo presidential style, which is completely at odds with the British system.

Indeed. He is acting as if he received a personal mandate from the electorate...
But Conservative voters voted for their own member of parliament, and apart from the voters in the disctrict of Uxbridge and South Ruislip that wasn't Boris Johnson.

Roasted Swan

WHEN BJ goes - does anyone imagine for one single second that he will remain in Westminster as a hard-working backbencher promoting the concerns of his constituents.  He'll resign his seat as soon as he possibly can and go back to writing opinion pieces just for more money.  How long before he turns up on "Have I got News for You" again.  Under a year I bet!

vandermolen

Iota

Quote from: Que on July 06, 2022, 10:49:25 PM
Indeed. He is acting as if he received a personal mandate from the electorate...
But Conservative voters voted for their own member of parliament, and apart from the voters in the disctrict of Uxbridge and South Ruislip that wasn't Boris Johnson.

We are indeed a parliamentary democracy not a presidential one, but nonetheless a number of Tory MPs do feel they owe their seats to Johnson. As he has been claiming more and more desperately of late, but nonetheless with some truth I think, many people voted 'for him' when they voted in their constituencies, because of 'getting Brexit done' etc (he leaves out the fact that many also admitted voting for him because he wasn't Jeremy Corbyn). People very often vote for or against headline figures whatever the political system I think, it's always been the way it works here anyway since I've been following it.
He also leaves out the fact that many who did vote for him have more than likely had a change of heart having seen him in all his odiousness, though I'm equally sure many won't have, and I imagine he's staking his hopes on that bunch rallying to his cause.

A chilling thought though of cold fish and chips for supper with the prospect of Dominic Raab possibly being Prime Minister within hours/days. But I think even he would be an improvement on the current moral vacuum in place.

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2022, 12:43:57 AM
Johnson to resign today!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62072419?pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:b12f0817-d103-49a9-b3a3-42b3defe3327&pinned_post_asset_id=62c69823b893776ef3343546&pinned_post_type=share

Edit: Oh haha, well overtaken by events as I was writing the post ..

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2022, 12:43:57 AM
Johnson to resign today!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62072419?pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:b12f0817-d103-49a9-b3a3-42b3defe3327&pinned_post_asset_id=62c69823b893776ef3343546&pinned_post_type=share

It has been difficult to get rid of this clown, but things have gotten so bad he has to step down. I wish people learnt not to support incompetent self-centered opportunists for whom being in the limelight/power is all there is to it.  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"