The Boris Johnson thread.

Started by vandermolen, June 15, 2019, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

One of the more sensational stories I read recently is that his alleged, severe covid sickness story doesn't add up; likely, it was a PR stunt exaggeration. For example, he should have had tough symptons for much longer, and the surrounding events/logistics would have been different. A sad case of manipulation, if true.

Brian

Todd

Will the next PM be as entertaining? 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Oh, hold on a sec, Boris has pledged to stay on as PM until the Conservatives choose a new leader, and the rumor mill suggests he thinks he can either convince them to decide to keep him, or wait for the new leader to lose an election, then come back and take charge again.

Even if those don't happen, the UK is still stuck with him for weeks or months.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Brian on July 07, 2022, 04:47:05 AM
Oh, hold on a sec, Boris has pledged to stay on as PM until the Conservatives choose a new leader, and the rumor mill suggests he thinks he can either convince them to decide to keep him, or wait for the new leader to lose an election, then come back and take charge again.

Even if those don't happen, the UK is still stuck with him for weeks or months.

The opposition leader  has said he'd ask for a confidence vote (of the full parliament) if BJ clings on. The conservative backbenchers 1922 committee can also implement one within their own MPs only, provided they first vote to change their vote system (currently there has to be at least a year between each Tory confidence votes, and we only had one over a month ago).
Olivier

Brian

What % of no votes would a confidence vote by the full Parliament require?

I love the scene on Sky News just now:
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1544993157745721344

JBS

Seen on Twitter

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

DavidW

I swear I just watched him give a speech announcing that he was exiting (though he made it sound like he was taking a victory lap for his amazing work).  But he still might stick around?  This is confusing.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Todd on July 07, 2022, 04:26:32 AM
Will the next PM be as entertaining?

Penny Mordaunt. Definitely.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Todd

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 07, 2022, 06:57:16 AM
Penny Mordaunt. Definitely.

Outstanding.  I will have to read up a bit on her as I currently know nothing about her.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Irons

Quote from: DavidW on July 07, 2022, 06:46:44 AM
I swear I just watched him give a speech announcing that he was exiting (though he made it sound like he was taking a victory lap for his amazing work).  But he still might stick around?  This is confusing.

I thought that too. It is the Party rules, both Cameron and May served as caretakers. I have a feeling they will not hang around choosing a new leader.

The favourite is Ben Wallace who would be my choice. If a betting man which I'm not, I would put a fiver on Tom Tugendhat.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Johnson's self-congratulatory 'farewell speech' on the steps of Downing Street showed no self-awareness or humility whatsoever. Apparently, he was brought down by 'herd instinct'; no recognition of his lack of integrity, honesty etc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 07, 2022, 07:47:10 AM
I thought that too. It is the Party rules, both Cameron and May served as caretakers. I have a feeling they will not hang around choosing a new leader.

The favourite is Ben Wallace who would be my choice. If a betting man which I'm not, I would put a fiver on Tom Tugendhat.
I agree - good choices, although Jeremy Hunt would be my first choice.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: Todd on July 07, 2022, 07:00:25 AM
Outstanding.  I will have to read up a bit on her as I currently know nothing about her.

I confess that my appreciation may not be entirely political.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Que

Quote from: Irons on July 07, 2022, 07:47:10 AM

It's seems that polls show that the majority of Conservative voters agree with you on Ben Wallace as a first choice.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Brian on July 07, 2022, 06:11:00 AM
What % of no votes would a confidence vote by the full Parliament require?

I love the scene on Sky News just now:
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1544993157745721344

I am not sure, Brian. We'll have to ask our Brits here. If that's the same as the the Tory version, it is simple majority of 50% + 1 vote, but in this type, I believe the parliament would then be fully dissolved and it would trigger a new election. Not sure the Tory MPs would follow that route at this time and support an opposition-induced vote of confidence.
I hope a member of GMG and her Majesty's kingdom will confirm that for us  ;D
Olivier

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2022, 08:56:56 AM
Johnson's self-congratulatory 'farewell speech' on the steps of Downing Street showed no self-awareness or humility whatsoever. Apparently, he was brought down by 'herd instinct'; no recognition of his lack of integrity, honesty etc.

I suppose I should be used to this kind of response now but his absence of any remorse or responsibility for his actions is so typical of someone who believes themselves to be fundamentally entitled.  He must go NOW.

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2022, 08:56:56 AM

Yeah it was absolutely bizarre.  It reminds me of this classic meme:

Except he is not even third place. ::)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

So if the Conservatives chose Tugendhat, does that mean that both parties would be led by candidates who want Britain to be in the EU, but who also currently oppose taking the actual steps required to re-enter?