And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on December 05, 2019, 04:38:38 AM
Have you watched TYT enough to know what their "solution" is? I can't say if they agree with you or not. Can you? Also, this is only ONE issue you keep talking about. Even if TYT was wrong with this (I doubt it) how about everything else?

Abuse of patent laws doesn't mean you can automatically milk money. Someone needs to be willing to pay for your patented product. If Canadian cheaper drugs were allowed to be imported into the US, the people would choose them over pricy American drugs meaning Big Pharma would have to lower their prices to compete with Canadian drugs, but politicians don't allow import of Canadian drugs because they have been bought. There are ways to avoid the problem of patent/regulation law abuse, but they are not used because of corruption.

I keep using this problem because it's a clear case of TYT giving out bad information. It's a perfect illustration of why you should not accept what they say at face value.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

In Canada, active ingredients (chemicals) in prescription drugs are imported from China and India. The pills are then produced locally. We buy from China what we need, not more. There is no inventory, no warehouses with mountains of pills. Considering the very real possibility of a commercial war btw China and Canada (because of boiling political tensions), it would be suicidal (litterally) of the US to import drugs from Canada. There's a very real possibility that we might have to find another supplier in a hurry.

Not everything can be factored in your narrative, 71dB. It's a complex world out there...

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on December 05, 2019, 04:51:22 AM
I keep using this problem because it's a clear case of TYT giving out bad information. It's a perfect illustration of why you should not accept what they say at face value.

Well, I don't. Just as people should not accept what corporate media says.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: André on December 05, 2019, 05:36:13 AM
Not everything can be factored in your narrative, 71dB. It's a complex world out there...

Yes, but if insulin costs 10 times more in US than in Canada changes are something can be done no matter how complex it is. The big picture is remove of money in politics. Surely you admit that would make things better, more democratic?

71 dB

New poll in California taken just before Kamala Harris dropped out:

Bernie Sanders    24 %
Elizabeth Warren  22 %
Joe Biden         14 %
Pete Buttigieg    12 %

The of 1,694 likely California Democratic primary voters was taken from Nov. 21-27 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points. With Harris voters reallocated based on their second choice, Mr. Sanders would be in the lead at 25%, followed by Ms. Warren at 24%, Mr. Biden at 17%, and Mr. Buttigieg at 13%.

greg

I wouldn't trust the people of California to vote for my hair stylist, let alone the US president.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ratliff

Drug prices in the U.S. are a complicated problem. The underlying issue is that the "market" has failed for various reasons. The famous Pharma Bro was able to boost the price of a decades old drug from less than a dollar a pill to thousands of dollars a pill because of unintended effects of FDA rules. To sell a generic drug you don't just say "here, it's the same chemical." You have to experimentally demonstrate that the drug works the same. He used various strategies to make it impossible for other companies to meet that criteria, despite the fact that the drug was off patent and eligible for generic substitution. In other cases drug companies use various strategies to make old, inexpensive drugs unavailable, compelling the use of more expensive new drugs which are no more effective.

Florestan

Quote from: greg on December 05, 2019, 11:35:24 AM
I wouldn't trust the people of California to vote for my hair stylist, let alone the US president.

:laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SimonNZ

::) (if we're responding in emojis)

71 dB

If you didn't know, according to polls if it is Bernie vs Trump, Bernie could win Trump EVEN in Texas! For Bernie the hard part is getting the nomination, not beating Trump.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on December 05, 2019, 11:48:29 AM
If you didn't know, according to polls if it is Bernie vs Trump, Bernie could win Trump EVEN in Texas! For Bernie the hard part is getting the nomination, not beating Trump.
Which polls? All I see is this one from Nov. 4.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11/04/democrats-dont-have-candidate-who-would-beat-trump-texas-today-poll/

71 dB

Quote from: greg on December 05, 2019, 12:16:46 PM
Which polls? All I see is this one from Nov. 4.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11/04/democrats-dont-have-candidate-who-would-beat-trump-texas-today-poll/

As you see, Bernie is closest to Trump so if anyone can beat Trump in Texas it's Bernie.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_sanders-6819.html

In one poll (DMN/Emerson) Bernie is +2.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on December 05, 2019, 05:29:11 PM
As you see, Bernie is closest to Trump so if anyone can beat Trump in Texas it's Bernie.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_sanders-6819.html

In one poll (DMN/Emerson) Bernie is +2.

That poll still does not support your claim.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 05, 2019, 06:21:15 PM
That poll still does not support your claim.

That one poll does support my claim. It's the others that do not, but even they tell Bernie is closest to Trump in Texas.
Is it THAT difficult to believe Bernie Sanders is the most electable of the bunch? Biden is maybe on the same level, but is weakening.

Mirror Image

Well said, well said. 8)

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2019, 06:33:53 PM
Well said, well said. 8)

Now substitute "the flyover states" or "the Bible belt" or, I dunno, Texas, and ask yourself if you'd say "well said" at someone dismissing an entire sector of the electorate so casually.

I myself was also given a nudge recently about how diverse California is on this very thread for asking how they could elect Devin Nunes four times in a row.

Karl Henning

Dude, you left your can of aerosol mousse in the loo.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 05, 2019, 07:32:01 PM
Now substitute "the flyover states" or "the Bible belt" or, I dunno, Texas, and ask yourself if you'd say "well said" at someone dismissing an entire sector of the electorate so casually.

I myself was also given a nudge recently about how diverse California is on this very thread for asking how they could elect Devin Nunes four times in a row.

You have as much of a right to comment on the United States as I have to comment on why Quebec hasn't succeeded from Canada yet. I have no personal experience with Quebec or Canada in general, so what gives me the right to tell people who do live in that country what's right or wrong? The same kind of logic should apply to you. Have you been to California? Do you know people in your personal everyday life that have come from there? Have you interacted with them in person and got a firm understanding of what the state is like? Of course you haven't, you live in New Zealand. ::)

SimonNZ

I think I have as much of a right to comment on US politics as you do on NZ politics - by which I mean: go right ahead, wont bother me at all. There will be the expectation, for both of us,  that local knowledge will correct an illuminate some misconception made without ant assumption of perfect or complete knowledge.

greg

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 05, 2019, 07:59:26 PM
I think I have as much of a right to comment on US politics as you do on NZ politics - by which I mean: go right ahead, wont bother me at all. There will be the expectation, for both of us,  that local knowledge will correct an illuminate some misconception made without ant assumption of perfect or complete knowledge.
I hope you are aware of the current situation in California.