Author Topic: And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020  (Read 301963 times)

Offline arpeggio

Re: And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020
« Reply #4260 on: May 23, 2020, 07:39:42 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^
So what? For every stupid thing Biden says that irritates me, Trump says at least a dozen.

Offline greg

« Reply #4261 on: May 23, 2020, 07:49:36 AM »

As good a self-serving rationale as any.
Well, this is going to be the way to think about things for anyone determined to vote (Trump or Biden regardless).

But they could also not vote... oh, wait, never mind, that's illegal... oh wait, never mind, that's immoral... oh wait, never mind, that's just an alternate method of preventing cognitive dissonance. Ok, yeah, that's pretty much it.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4262 on: May 23, 2020, 09:24:53 AM »
Since it was clear last year that Biden was the man with the plan for the Dems, I stopped paying much attention to him.  Sure, he'll bomb the shit out of some poor, brown country or countries, and probably raise my federal income taxes a bit, maybe cutting into my CD/download buying habit (nah), but otherwise he won't impact my life.  (And really, it's just the tax increase that I'll notice.  He can bomb the shit out of a dozen poor, brown countries and it won't impact me.)  But recently, for chuckles, I've started paying attention to some of his "gaffes", as his apologists call them.  I'm sure these are old hat to Biden fans, but they were new to me.

Uncle Joe's thoughts on leg hair, among other topics:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3DbE2SmV2bs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3DbE2SmV2bs</a>

And then there's Biden sucking his wife's fingers during one of her speeches.  (This made it on the august, serious news show The Daily Show, for those who need a gauge of its seriousness.)

There's your stable genius.  Way to go Dems!

(Yeah, yeah, I know, what about Trump?!?!)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Dowder

• Self-employed at my troll farm
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach, Haydn & Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Russians, DP and DM
« Reply #4263 on: May 23, 2020, 09:45:31 AM »
Not to mention his homeboy “Cornpop.”

https://youtu.be/r4NmtSrqtvI
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #4264 on: May 23, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
Will this be like the Trumpists who said Hilary's "deplorable" gaffe outweighed the daily mountain of Trump's offensiveness?

So Trump can completely shit the bed day after day after day and bungle appallingly this ongoing ultimate test of his "leadership"...but one boneheaded comment from the D means game over?

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4265 on: May 23, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^
So what? For every stupid thing Biden says that irritates me, Trump says at least a dozen.

And, Biden has apologized, unlike President "apologizing is a sign of weakness."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #4266 on: May 23, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »
Reading is hard.

If you want to disagree or point out something I've overlooked or misread then just do so.

Offline Dowder

« Reply #4267 on: May 23, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »
You didn’t pay attention to what he wrote earlier, Simon. Shame on you.
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #4268 on: May 23, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
You didn’t pay attention to what he wrote earlier, Simon. Shame on you.

"Shame on me"??

Are you guys referring to post 4257 as though it should have been the final word on the subject? Its no such thing. I disagree with pretty much everything in it.

Offline greg

« Reply #4269 on: May 23, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »
And, Biden has apologized, unlike President "apologizing is a sign of weakness."
Apologizing is neither a good or bad thing, it entirely depends on context.

(I won't go into specific detail regarding Biden or Trump, just wanted to point that out).

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4270 on: May 23, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »
Looks like Creepy Uncle Joe has a thing for kissing his granddaughter on the mouth.  In public.

I thought only The Donald did icky stuff like this.  Guess not.  I had actually not seen these before.  That's how little I have paid attention given the inevitability of the Creepy Uncle Joe Presidency.  I will not be surprised if some GMGer says it's perfectly normal, or it's not so bad because, you know, Trump.

Social distancing should cut down on moments of creepiness for the next president, at least for a while.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #4271 on: May 23, 2020, 04:01:13 PM »
Christ this is desperate.

Its perfectly normal. Assuming its a quick peck and not a Hollywood makeout session.

Find some better muck to throw.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4272 on: May 23, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
As expected.

Offline greg

« Reply #4273 on: May 23, 2020, 04:02:55 PM »
Looks like Creepy Uncle Joe has a thing for kissing his granddaughter on the mouth.  In public.
Wtf.  ???

Its perfectly normal. Assuming its a quick peck and not a Hollywood makeout session.

I don't think it's normal for Americans to do this... maybe for Europeans, idk. Maybe some families are just weird like that.

Offline Dowder

« Reply #4274 on: May 23, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »

Don’t worry, buddy: we will.

The days of the GOP being afraid to fight back are long gone. There’s a lot of dirt on that shitty candidate of yours and by November he’ll be flushed like HRC.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #4275 on: May 23, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »

The days of the GOP being afraid to fight back are long gone. There’s a lot of dirt on that shitty candidate of yours and by November he’ll be flushed like HRC.

He's not "my" candidate. And playing this game from a distance of 10,000 km I would have rated Biden as "my" sixth or seventh choice from the D field - without having experienced any of their governing at a local level.

Which were the days when the GOP was "afraid to fight back"?. Its been the Atwater-Stone style low road of dirty tricks and smears from them for as long as I've been watching.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:33:32 PM by SimonNZ »

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #4276 on: May 23, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »

I am sure that if GOP voters can ignore all the dirt on Trump, Democratic voters can ignore the dirt on Biden.

Besides, Biden came to DC in 1973. Whatever dirt that can be dug up on him probably has already.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Dowder

« Reply #4277 on: May 23, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
I am sure that if GOP voters can ignore all the dirt on Trump, Democratic voters can ignore the dirt on Biden.

Besides, Biden came to DC in 1973. Whatever dirt that can be dug up on him probably has already.

Nope, as Todd mentioned there is an idealogical split in the Dems between the remaining silent generation/baby boomer and slowly graying Gen Xers who overwhelmingly voted for Biden and the Millennial/Gen Z who embraced Sanders or Warren. That gap can be exploited like in 2016. 

Offline Dowder

« Reply #4278 on: May 23, 2020, 06:51:54 PM »
He's not "my" candidate. And playing this game from a distance of 10,000 km I would have rated Biden as "my" sixth or seventh choice from the D field - without having experienced any of their governing at a local level.

Which were the days when the GOP was "afraid to fight back"?. Its been the Atwater-Stone style low road of dirty tricks and smears from them for as long as I've been watching.

You believe everything you see on CNN, MSNBC the “big three” or even Netflix that is spewing leftist crap.

Ever since Watergate the GOP lost its balls and was afraid to stand up to the liberal media. However, the revolution in media has changed that. First talk radio, then Fox, the WWW and later social media gave conservatives a voice to stand up to the bullying and attacks. Stories that the leftist MSM ignored or tried to heavily filter get passed around now and spread to a wide audience. Hence why the Leftists want to break up Big Tech and censor online content.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #4279 on: May 23, 2020, 07:01:49 PM »
You believe everything you see on CNN, MSNBC the “big three” or even Netflix that is spewing leftist crap.

Ever since Watergate the GOP lost its balls and was afraid to stand up to the liberal media. However, the revolution in media has changed that. First talk radio, then Fox, the WWW and later social media gave conservatives a voice to stand up to the bullying and attacks. Stories that the leftist MSM ignored or tried to heavily filter get passed around now and spread to a wide audience. Hence why the Leftists want to break up Big Tech and censor online content.

I'd need Sky to watch CNN here, and MSNBC isn't even available that way.

Presumably I could stream them, but as I said in reply to something else: I've allocated that bandwidth to Al Jazeera.

It ought to have been clear from the things I link to where I'm getting my news from.