And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

It's amusing how the hope of beating the 73yo Trump seem to lie with the 78yo Sanders or the 76yo Biden. They make Warren, at only 70, look like a breeze of fresh air.  :laugh:

I don't know if the US is an oligarchy but it seems obviously well on the way to becoming a gerontocracy.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on October 07, 2019, 10:05:16 AMI don't know if the US is an oligarchy but it seems obviously well on the way to becoming a gerontocracy.

Indeed.  Actually, if Bernie did win, at his age and with his heart condition, there is a good probability that he would die in office.  That would be a true LMAO moment.  (Bernie's toast, but don't tell 71 dB that.)

VP candidates are more important than normal for 2020.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on October 07, 2019, 09:46:02 AM
Bernie is feeling well now. His medical issue was dealth with. The same operation was done to Bill Clinton when he was 58 and to my knowledge Bill Clinton is doing fine. Having a heart attack doesn't mean you are over.

Voters will decide what it means. I would probably not be swayed by a couple of stents. They work.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

A youngish Veep would be a good idea. I think Mayor Pete can wait. Dems should be thinking about a strong bench going forward.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on October 07, 2019, 10:10:52 AM
     Voters will decide what it means.   

True story: a few years ago in a Romanian village the incumbent mayor died a few days before the election day, yet a majority of inhabitants voted for him nevertheless.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on October 07, 2019, 10:28:39 AM
True story: a few years ago in a Romanian village the incumbent mayor died a few days before the election day, yet a majority of inhabitants voted for him nevertheless.

That happens in the US from time to time.  John Ashcroft lost his senatorial bid to a corpse in 2000. 

One extremely entertaining scenario would be if Bernie won the election in November but died before the Electoral College convened.  That would be awesome!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on October 06, 2019, 04:44:14 PM
I know you're being ironic, but we could spend pages unpacking what's wrong with both halves of that sentence!  :laugh:

Verily,  verily.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on October 07, 2019, 10:10:52 AM
     Voters will decide what it means. I would probably not be swayed by a couple of stents. They work.

I am grateful that mine works!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on October 07, 2019, 10:28:39 AM

Do I correctly recall that this was true of rather a recent U.S. Senator?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 07, 2019, 10:42:00 AM
Do I correctly recall that this was true of rather a recent U.S. Senator?

According to Todd, you do.

The villagers might have had a point, actually: a dead mayor is not likely to do any harm, while a living one can be hell on earth.  :laugh:

greg

What if Hillary said screw it and decided to deliberately copy all of Trumps ideas and political stances? Since what she did before didn't work. Would she win this time?

It would also be interesting to see what CNN would think about it. They might spontaneously combust from confusion.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: greg on October 07, 2019, 10:56:13 AM
What if Hillary said screw it and decided to deliberately copy all of Trumps ideas and political stances? Since what she did before didn't work. Would she win this time?

Not only would she win, she'd attain the stature of a goddess, an evil one if that matters, but certainly at least semi-divine.

SimonNZ

It would also be interesting to see what CNN would think about it. They might spontaneously combust from confusion.

Its the gameshow schtick that sells Trump to his supporters, not his " ideas and political stances", of which he has few beyond what plays well in a rally setting and what-did-Obama-do?-then-lets-do-the-opposite.

Anyone who thinks Hilary wants to get back in race or that she could win in 2020 needs to put down the crack pipe. it's as idiotic as idiotic Michael Moore saying Michelle Obama should run.

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 07, 2019, 12:00:31 PM
Its the gameshow schtick that sells Trump to his supporters, not his " ideas and political stances", of which he has few beyond what plays well in a rally setting and what-did-Obama-do?-then-lets-do-the-opposite.

Anyone who thinks Hilary wants to get back in race or that she could win in 2020 needs to put down the crack pipe. it's as idiotic as idiotic Michael Moore saying Michelle Obama should run.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hillary does want to get back in the race....based on how she's been acting lately and her general attitude. "Yoohoo, I'm over here, just in case you guys are ready to admit you were wrong about me the first time."

If she were the Democratic nominee, she probably has as a good chance as anyone running against Trump.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

What exactly would be the POINT of winning by that method?

The second most depressing thing about politics is that it has become the art of winning power rather than the art of governing.

The most depressing thing about politics is that voters are so willing to reward this behaviour.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

I great video about the corporate media bias against Bernie Sanders.
If you wonder why I am so pro-Bernie, this is why.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ApGHzpGgSN8

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: Madiel on October 07, 2019, 01:01:15 PM
What exactly would be the POINT of winning by that method?
For her, becoming president.

For us, showing how bleak and hopeless reality is.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: greg on October 07, 2019, 03:20:30 PM
For her, becoming president.

For us, showing how bleak and hopeless reality is.

Or it would show how purple and dodecahedral reality is. The evidence points both ways.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on October 07, 2019, 01:01:15 PM
The second most depressing thing about politics is that it has become the art of winning power rather than the art of governing.

The most depressing thing about politics is that voters are so willing to reward this behaviour.

And the third most depressing thing about politics is that the proposed solutions are either utopian or worse than the problem itself.

I'd say that complete cynicism about politics and politicians is fully justified and so is complete indifference about them.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on October 08, 2019, 12:10:15 AM
I'd say that complete cynicism about politics and politicians is fully justified and so is complete indifference about them.

In a democratic system, the politicians are selected by you.

Except if you don't turn up to vote. Then they're picked by those who do turn up.

And that is why I don't find either of those responses particularly advisable.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!