And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on July 29, 2019, 02:01:58 PM
You've discovered the wheel, congrats!

I don't think it was me who discoved this basic fact (I learned this decades ago in school), but you do understand the inflation part kind of makes the ground muddy for the wheel?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on July 29, 2019, 02:10:17 PM
Your grasp of monetary theory is sophomoric at best.

Anyway, good luck in creating your own salary or pension.

Your grasp of of what we are talking here is sophomoric at best. We are talking about the central bank releasing money on the market/printing more money. That is a monetary tool to control economical growth.

Nobody here is "creating" our own salary or pension apart from working and getting paid.

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on July 29, 2019, 02:10:17 PM

Anyway, good luck in creating your own salary or pension.

Why would I want to do that? Dollars are just fine with me. They are widely accepted, and since they are used to pay taxes they always will be. I don't know what all the fuss is about. The money circuit needs a faucet and a drain to balance things out and keep inflation in the Goldilocks zone, so we can spend for needs up to the practical limit, putting money into people pockets and taking less back. I think it works pretty well, and would work even better if we could get more people up to the sophomore level.

Quote from: 71 dB on July 29, 2019, 02:16:33 PM
Your grasp of of what we are talking here is sophomoric at best. We are talking about the central bank releasing money on the market/printing more money. That is a monetary tool to control economical growth.

Nobody here is "creating" our own salary or pension apart from working and getting paid.

I wouldn't put it that way. Central banks are scorekeepers IMV. But if you consolidate fiscal/monetary at the conceptual level you don't have to consolidate at the institutional level.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Bernie Goes To Canada For Medicine With Desperate Americans

A vial of insulin costs $6 to manufacture. In Windsor, Ontario it costs $32 in a pharmacy. On the other side of the border in Detroit the price for this same insulin is $340. Canada has single payer healtcare. The US doesn't. Hence 10-fold price.  :P

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on July 29, 2019, 04:50:17 PM
Bernie Goes To Canada For Medicine With Desperate Americans

A vial of insulin costs $6 to manufacture. In Windsor, Ontario it costs $32 in a pharmacy. On the other side of the border in Detroit the price for this same insulin is $340. Canada has single payer healtcare. The US doesn't. Hence 10-fold price.  :P

The absurd ease of demonstrating the problem doesn't mean that Bernie has a practical solution.

His show is long on moonshine.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Quote from: 71 dB on July 29, 2019, 12:57:46 PM

Example of corporate media:

CNN Is Running Pro-Kamala Ads As 'News' Segments

https://www.youtube.com/v/e2d2j5XnxFg

What do you think is being proved here?

drogulus

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 29, 2019, 04:56:14 PM
The absurd ease of demonstrating the problem doesn't mean that Bernie has a practical solution.

A practical solution is not what Bernie has. What he has is the determination to put one into effect, preferably his, though perhaps not preferably mine. One thing though, is that whichever one gets done won't lack practicality.

If someone promised me that our shitty system projected to cost ~$50T over the next few years would be replaced by a universal single payer system cost trillions less over the same time period I'd say improve coverage up to $40T and call it a win.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 29, 2019, 04:56:14 PM

His show is long on moonshine.

What? Medicare for all system is his practical solution. What solutions does that corporate Dems have? They want to keep the status quo, maybe some small improvements here and there. You think that brings prices down? What's wrong with you man?

Allowing drugs to be inported from Canada alone would help a lot. Bernie has proposed that of course. It's not his fault almost all other politicians are utterly corrupt and don't care when americans die for rationing medicine.

71 dB

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 29, 2019, 05:01:54 PM
What do you think is being proved here?

It demonstrates that CNN is not intereted of covering politics in an objective manner. They have their favorites (Biden, Harris, Buttigieg).

71 dB

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on July 30, 2019, 02:10:33 AM
It demonstrates that CNN is not intereted of covering politics in an objective manner. They have their favorites (Biden, Harris, Buttigieg).

They cover politics OK, it's the policy they don't cover that is the most serious flaw. Notice that their policy aversion leaves Warren with the least coverage among the top tier candidates. It's almost like the cable shows don't know what to do with her.

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on July 30, 2019, 04:25:57 AM
      They cover politics OK, it's the policy they don't cover that is the most serious flaw. Notice that their policy aversion leaves Warren with the least coverage among the top tier candidates. It's almost like the cable shows don't know what to do with her.

Warren is a "weak" mildly corrupt progressive so they hate her much less than Bernie.

If they covered politics well they would bring up the fact that the "black" Kamala Harris isn't actually that pro-black candidate as she laughs at the proposal to legalize recreational marijuana which would significantly reduce incarceration of the black for non-violent crimes not to mention many other questionable things Kamala Harris has done in her career. Kamala Harris is a corporate candidate plain and simple. Her proposal of dealing with the student loan debt crisis is a JOKE compared to what the progressives propose. She isn't working for poor blacks (or whites for that matter) Instead they show these "inspirational ads" with emotional music and empty rethoric while smearing Bernie 19 ways to Sunday.  :P

Kamala Harris is perhaps marginally better than Joe Biden, but that's not saying much as Biden is maybe second only to John Delaney when ranking the worst Democratic candidates.

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on July 30, 2019, 10:36:43 AM
Warren is a "weak" mildly corrupt progressive so they hate her much less than Bernie.

If they covered politics well they would bring up the fact that the "black" Kamala Harris isn't actually that pro-black candidate as she laughs at the proposal to legalize recreational marijuana which would significantly reduce incarceration of the black for non-violent crimes not to mention many other questionable things Kamala Harris has done in her career. Kamala Harris is a corporate candidate plain and simple. Her proposal of dealing with the student loan debt crisis is a JOKE compared to what the progressives propose. She isn't working for poor blacks (or whites for that matter) Instead they show these "inspirational ads" with emotional music and empty rethoric while smearing Bernie 19 ways to Sunday.  :P

Kamala Harris is perhaps marginally better than Joe Biden, but that's not saying much as Biden is maybe second only to John Delaney when ranking the worst Democratic candidates.

Decriminalizing marijuana would have little or no impact on incarceration rates.  People are sent to prison for violent crimes and for selling/buying/possessing wholesale quantities and/or "harder" drugs.  It would also do nothing for all the people already in prison or already back in society after serving their sentence.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on July 30, 2019, 11:09:20 AM
Decriminalizing marijuana would have little or no impact on incarceration rates.  People are sent to prison for violent crimes and for selling/buying/possessing wholesale quantities and/or "harder" drugs.  It would also do nothing for all the people already in prison or already back in society after serving their sentence.

It's amazing how you come up with these brainfarts to defend the status quo. You are a true status quo lover, aren't you? Anything that would change something is poison to you. Selling/buying/possessing of course are not a violent crimes and a lot of blacks (disproportionally compared to whites are sent behind the bars for these crimes. Decriminalizing marijuana would not stop incarcerting people for violent crimes. If you buy, posses and use marijuana you are not doing violent crimes. It's not different from buying a cup of coffee, except coffee isn't illegal while marijuana is. Big Pharma has bought the politicians (including Kamala Harris it seems) to oppose decriminalization of marijuana, because they want to sell people their pills instead. Also, incarceration of black people to private prisons is a good business for white rich assholes.

Yeah, it sucks if you did your time before the law was changed, but sure it's sucks for the new convicted people if the law isn't changed because of this silly logic. "MY GENERATION DIDN'T HAVE THIS SO THE FUTURE GENERATIOS CAN'T IT EITHER!!" Well, how nice of you.  ::)

----------

Bernie's Campaign Manager Calls Out Corporate Media Bias On CNN

https://www.youtube.com/v/MAK7IsU2O44

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on July 30, 2019, 11:33:56 AM
It's amazing how you come up with these brainfarts to defend the status quo. You are a true status quo lover, aren't you? Anything that would change something is poison to you. Selling/buying/possessing of course are not a violent crimes and a lot of blacks (disproportionally compared to whites are sent behind the bars for these crimes. Decriminalizing marijuana would not stop incarcerting people for violent crimes. If you buy, posses and use marijuana you are not doing violent crimes. It's not different from buying a cup of coffee, except coffee isn't illegal while marijuana is. Big Pharma has bought the politicians (including Kamala Harris it seems) to oppose decriminalization of marijuana, because they want to sell people their pills instead. Also, incarceration of black people to private prisons is a good business for white rich assholes.

Yeah, it sucks if you did your time before the law was changed, but sure it's sucks for the new convicted people if the law isn't changed because of this silly logic. "MY GENERATION DIDN'T HAVE THIS SO THE FUTURE GENERATIOS CAN'T IT EITHER!!" Well, how nice of you.  ::)

----------

Bernie's Campaign Manager Calls Out Corporate Media Bias On CNN

https://www.youtube.com/v/MAK7IsU2O44

Once again, you prove you have no idea of what you're talking about.

Decriminalizing marijuana will not have any impact on incarceration rates because it would decriminalize something that people are not usually sent to jail over: posessing/using small amounts of marijuana.   And Big Pharma has nothing to do with it.   It's the law and order folks who generally support Trump that oppose it.

BTW, if you didn't notice, Bernie's campaign manager was making that complaint on....CNN.  On the same day that Bernie had a full scale interview with Jake Tapper on....CNN.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on July 30, 2019, 10:36:43 AM

My point was/is that policy heavy candidates are disadvantaged by horsey racy coverage more than other factors like what she wants to do and whether she has the ability to get it done. These are important things.

The circular nature of arguments about how electable candidates are is really warping coverage. Candidates are talked about as though the perception of unelectability makes it so whether any voter thinks that way or not. How many voters will throw away their vote on the electable versus the desirable choice? The theory (heh!) must be that beauty contests are won by the person who is perceived as most beautiful in the eyes of others, regardless of whether the candidate is preferred by any voter. No doubt some do vote that way. I won't give my vote away like that.

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on July 30, 2019, 11:44:15 AM
Once again, you prove you have no idea of what you're talking about.

Decriminalizing marijuana will not have any impact on incarceration rates because it would decriminalize something that people are not usually sent to jail over: posessing/using small amounts of marijuana.   And Big Pharma has nothing to do with it.   It's the law and order folks who generally support Trump that oppose it.

BTW, if you didn't notice, Bernie's campaign manager was making that complaint on....CNN.  On the same day that Bernie had a full scale interview with Jake Tapper on....CNN.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/16/17243080/marijuana-legalization-mass-incarceration-boehner

Okay, I take it back, but still 600 000 people are arrested for marijuana possession, "These arrests on their own can create huge problems — leading to criminal records that can make it harder to get a job, housing, or financial aid for college."

Jake Tapper made questions framed from right wing perspective, but luckily Bernie's campaign manager was able to handle them.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on July 31, 2019, 08:34:57 AM
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/16/17243080/marijuana-legalization-mass-incarceration-boehner

Okay, I take it back, but still 600 000 people are arrested for marijuana possession, "These arrests on their own can create huge problems — leading to criminal records that can make it harder to get a job, housing, or financial aid for college."

Jake Tapper made questions framed from right wing perspective, but luckily Bernie's campaign manager was able to handle them.

I get that you want to cheer Bernie at every turn. But maybe Jake Tapper was doing the debaters a service. There is no foul in having the candidates address a point in this debate, which they are likely to face from a Republican opponent down the line.

You'll pardon my not vilifying a moderator for not tossing Bernie softballs.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

The market just made a sharp turn down on account of the rate cut. All we need is a reclusive millionaire to say "go to cash now". I love when they say that. It restores my faith in human depravity.

You really should monitor what people say on investor sites. These places are full of "contrarians". "Contrarian" is a term of art for someone who thinks exactly like everyone else in the contrarian herd. They are herd animals. They tell you secrets about how no one can predict a recession while they are predicting one "some day".

Aw shittt.....dumb money is buying the dip already. What's wrong with you people? We're trying to get a good crisis going and you're just fucking it up!

André

I think the markets had hoped for a bigger cut, hence the disappointment. My feeling is that the Fed went for a mostly cosmetic adjustment to get Trump off its back.