And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on September 20, 2019, 07:04:05 PM
BTW, here in the States the housing problem often does not relate to homelessness, but instead to the problem faced by many people, not being able to afford housing that is reasonably priced but within reasonable distance of their work.

Yeah. Google some stuff about the Sydney housing market.

I'm not sure why you think those are 2 separate problems though, rather than homelessness being a symptom of people not being able to afford housing. It's not the only cause of homelessness but it's undoubtedly one of the causes.

Frankly the biggest cause of lack of affordable housing is a belief that property is a cash cow. This includes a relatively recent problem of people buying property as a capital investment and actually not WANTING to have tenants, preferring to leave it empty while they wait for the value to go up. Some jurisdictions now penalise this behaviour, and I am thoroughly in favour of such penalties.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

drogulus

Quote from: Madiel on September 20, 2019, 06:57:50 PM
There is frequently argument from people who don't act or think as if they are part of a society.

Because many people seem to believe that if a cost is externalised, it ceases to exist.

That's the argument against SomethingCare For All. Costs should be shifted, or remain, with everyone most burdened by them. The damage to the economy from externalized costs for climate change and health care are considerable.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on September 20, 2019, 07:06:25 PM
Yeah. Google some stuff about the Sydney housing market.

I'm not sure why you think those are 2 separate problems though, rather than homelessness being a symptom of people not being able to afford housing. It's not the only cause of homelessness but it's undoubtedly one of the causes.

Frankly the biggest cause of lack of affordable housing is a belief that property is a cash cow. This includes a relatively recent problem of people buying property as a capital investment and actually not WANTING to have tenants, preferring to leave it empty while they wait for the value to go up. Some jurisdictions now penalise this behaviour, and I am thoroughly in favour of such penalties.

Here at least homelessness seems to be very much a "people who can't afford to pay even cheap rent" problem as opposed to a "people who can't find a cheap rental within three hours drive of their job".  The usual phrase for the latter is "affordable housing". Homelessness is a term reserved for people who are either unemployed or don't earn nearly enough to afford even minimal rent.

I haven't heard of the situation you mention in the last paragraph. It seems foolish...they still have to pay mortgages , insurance, property taxes, etc, and renting it out is the most obvious way to cover those expenses. Usually speculators renovate and sell quickly, or live in the house or rent it out while waiting to sell.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on September 21, 2019, 02:44:12 AM
you brainwashed moron.

I should have thought you stopped. Another heatwave hitting Finland hard,, maybe?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on September 21, 2019, 03:07:19 AM
I am in a bad mood.  :-\

This is no excuse for insulting others. If you really can't stop posting about US domestic policies, then at least watch your language.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on September 21, 2019, 02:46:41 AM
I should have thought you stopped. Another heatwave hitting Finland hard,, maybe?

ROFLMFCAO*

* Rolling on the floor, laughing my fully-clothed ass off
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on September 21, 2019, 06:47:39 AM
This is no excuse for insulting others. If you really can't stop posting about US domestic policies, then at least watch your language.

Good luck, explaining to him that his rationalizing his insults is pathetic and contemptible.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on September 21, 2019, 02:46:41 AM
Well, it is 0,9 °C (33.6 °F) here at the moment.   :-\
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

71 dB

Quote from: North Star on September 21, 2019, 01:46:23 PM
Well, it is 0,9 °C (33.6 °F) here at the moment.   :-\

Getting cold in Oulu? +7.1 °C (44.8 °F) in Helsinki.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Quote from: schnittkease on September 21, 2019, 10:33:28 PM
Let's not get caught up in the horse race. Early state polls are all over the place.

A lot of people haven't even started to follow the race yet. They are busy with making the ends meet (because wages have stagnated for 4 decades and they live in oligarchy).

Madiel

The fact that the American system has candidates popping up 18 months in advance just does my head in. Of course people haven't started to follow the race yet. No sane person would cope with such a protracted exercise.

The USA, supposed bastion of democracy, tries to make everyone pay attention to the question of who to vote for for a huge chunk of the electoral cycle, while simultaneously making it as difficult as possible for some people to vote and being the native home of the gerrymander to prevent votes being meaningful.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on September 22, 2019, 04:41:45 PM
The fact that the American system has candidates popping up 18 months in advance just does my head in. Of course people haven't started to follow the race yet. No sane person would cope with such a protracted exercise.

The USA, supposed bastion of democracy, tries to make everyone pay attention to the question of who to vote for for a huge chunk of the electoral cycle, while simultaneously making it as difficult as possible for some people to vote and being the native home of the gerrymander to prevent votes being meaningful.

The 18 months is a result of the need to prepare an organization and fundraising. It takes preparation to get millions of voterx to actually cast a ballot on behalf of a particular candidate.

It's also in some cases an understatement. Biden, Sanders, and some of the others began preparing to run the moment it became clear Hillary Clinton lost the election.

Hypothetical : suppose Australia chose their party leaders by direct elections in which the registered members of the party voted, as a preliminary step to actual parliamentary elections. You'd see similar advance work.

There's also the fact that actual voting begins in February with Iowa and New Hampshire, meaning the 18 months is actually only 9 months ahead of real elections.

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on September 22, 2019, 06:06:07 PM
Hypothetical : suppose Australia chose their party leaders by direct elections in which the registered members of the party voted, as a preliminary step to actual parliamentary elections. You'd see similar advance work.

Actually it gets done in about a month.

One of our 2 main political parties started doing exactly this in 2013.

Labor lost the 2013 general election and the leader stepped down on 7 September. Nominations opened on 13 September. Counting started on 10 October, new leader declared on 13 October.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on September 22, 2019, 04:41:45 PM
The fact that the American system has candidates popping up 18 months in advance just does my head in.

Oh, ours, too. It is, of course, worse than usual thanks to the critical toxicity presently in the White House.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on September 22, 2019, 06:06:07 PM
There's also the fact that actual voting begins in February with Iowa and New Hampshire, meaning the 18 months is actually only 9 months ahead of real elections.

That's not "actual voting". That's one step in an insanely laborious process to select the candidate.

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on September 22, 2019, 07:15:36 PM
Actually it gets done in about a month.

One of our 2 main political parties started doing exactly this in 2013.

Labor lost the 2013 general election and the leader stepped down on 7 September. Nominations opened on 13 September. Counting started on 10 October, new leader declared on 13 October.

In that case

Go Australia!

Quote from: Madiel on September 22, 2019, 07:20:21 PM
That's not "actual voting". That's one step in an insanely laborious process to select the candidate.

Point taken. But by "actual voting" I meant the voters themselves give their opinion, and with some real world result...as opposed to the marathon of talking heads and pundits we have until then.

71 dB

For every supporter of Elizabeth Warren. It's a long video, 27 minutes, but solid from start to finnish.
Kyle Kulinski is very good at making Youtube videos like this.

Very Clear & Simple Reasons To Vote Bernie Over Warren

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZZbJQx5fpcw

SimonNZ

Christ. I listened to half of that and had to stop. "Bernie has promised to give me a pony, Elizabeth doesn't want to give me a pony. WHERE's MY PONY ELIZABETH??"

Seriously dude: pick up a book or at least widen your field of input.

As for the Ben Carson thing which "I don't know why and neither do you", a two second Google search gets this:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/elizabeth-warren-reverse-ben-carson-vote-235608

...which has a link to Warren's long Facebook post explaining her actions.

"Solid" it ain't. "Very good" it ain't.

And that bit at the start about his listeners voting "logically" and the non-fans voting "illogically" was particularly arrogant.