And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

The Warren plan is not designed to prevent the children of prominent politicians from serving on corporate boards. It would be unfair in that it would discriminate against those who got there on merit, both of them.

It also strikes me as assuming too much to say that making her plan tougher would implicitly criticize Biden, whose most recent adventure in the realm of corruption was trying to end it in Ukraine.

What's in the plan is more interesting than what isn't:

End self-dealing in the White House by applying conflict of interest laws to the President and Vice President

That's soooo radical.

Disclose tax returns of federal candidates and officeholders to the public automatically.

Don't ask me, I think tax returns should be public for all government officials above the grade of bagman.

Force senior government officials to divest from privately-owned assets that could present conflicts of interest

I'd exempt trophy consorts.

Completely ban the practice of government officials trading individual stocks while in office

I'd exempt buying Raytheon before bombing Iran.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

I guess you really should pay attention if you feel the bern in your chest!

One less clown in the Dem circus, and good news for Goofy Elizabeth Warren.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Muzio

Fabulators gonna fabulate...

Warren Said She Was Once Fired For Being Pregnant. That's Not What She Said Before.

Presidential contender Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) has highlighted the supposed hardships of women in the workplace by claiming she was fired from a teaching job after she became "visibly pregnant." But the senator, who has been plagued by her own wildly overstated claims of Native American heritage, told a different story about how she lost her teaching job in the past.

"I loved it, and I would probably still be doing it today but back in the day, before unions, the principal, by the time we got to the end of the first year, I was visibly pregnant," Warren said while on the campaign trail in May, as reported by Jeryl Bier on Wednesday. "And the principal did what principals did in those days: they wished you luck, showed you the door, and hired someone else for the job. And there went my dream."

Similarly, in April, the Democrat said at Al Sharpton's National Action Network convention: "Teaching special needs kids is a calling. But I finished out the year visibly pregnant and didn't get invited back. Those were the days."

However, as highlighted by Bier, during an interview in 2007, Warren recalled leaving her teaching job because she did not have requisite qualifications  — a far cry from claiming to be have been canned by a male principal for being with child. 

"At UC Berkeley in 2007 as part of a series called 'Conversations with History,' Warren was asked about her pursuit of a career helping special needs children," Bier reported. "Her answer at the time made no mention of losing her job due to her pregnancy. Instead, she spoke of trying to further her education because she lacked some education courses that had required her to rely on an 'emergency certificate' to teach that first year. While pursuing those courses, she said she realized, 'I don't think this is going to work out for me.' She and her husband then decided she would stay at home for the time being."

"I was married at nineteen and graduated from college after I'd married, and my first year post-graduation I worked in a public school system with the children with disabilities," Warren said at the time. "I did that for a year, and then that summer I didn't have the education courses, so I was on an 'emergency certificate,' it was called. I went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, 'I don't think this is going to work out for me.' I was pregnant with my first baby, so I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years, and I was really casting about, thinking, 'What am I going to do?' My husband's view of it was, 'Stay home. We have children, we'll have more children, you'll love this.' And I was very restless about it."

According to Bier, "The earliest version of Warren's story that includes the principal explicitly dismissing her appears to be in her autobiography 'A Fighting Chance' in 2014."

Article: https://jerylbier.blogspot.com/2019/10/elizabeth-warren-fired-from-teaching.html

drogulus

"I loved it, and I would probably still be doing it today but back in the day, before unions, the principal, by the time we got to the end of the first year, I was visibly pregnant," Warren said while on the campaign trail in May, as reported by Jeryl Bier on Wednesday. "And the principal did what principals did in those days: they wished you luck, showed you the door, and hired someone else for the job. And there went my dream."

Similarly, in April, the Democrat said at Al Sharpton's National Action Network convention: "Teaching special needs kids is a calling. But I finished out the year visibly pregnant and didn't get invited back. Those were the days."

Where did the story come from that she was fired?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Muzio

Quote from: drogulus on October 04, 2019, 07:23:16 PM
      Where did the story come from that she was fired?

To be clear, are you specifically referring to the use of the word "fired" rather than "not asked back", etc.?  Or are you asking for links to videos and/or articles?

JBS

BTW, the two explanations are not only compatible but complementary: one explains why she lost that first job, the other explains why she didn't pursue other teaching jobs and left the profession.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

drogulus

Quote from: Muzio on October 05, 2019, 06:00:28 AM
To be clear, are you specifically referring to the use of the word "fired" rather than "not asked back", etc.?  Or are you asking for links to videos and/or articles?

No, I understand the use of "fired". Did Warren say she was fired?

drogulus

Quote from: JBS on October 05, 2019, 06:11:30 AM
BTW, the two explanations are not only compatible but complementary: one explains why she lost that first job, the other explains why she didn't pursue other teaching jobs and left the profession.

Warren had trouble starting her career in a way that is typical for young women juggling a career, parenting, pregnancy and moving for her husband's job. That explains her position on family leave.

drogulus

Are Dems Really Nominating Another Massachusetts Liberal?

In politics, "another" isn't a big factor. Some of my reservations about Warren have been pacified. I saw her as too hot for TV and too inquisitorial in a way that voters would see as angry. To my slight surprise voters see her not only in a positive light, but as something of an optimist. Voters tend to like a "happy warrior".

The ideological straitjackets of pundits do not measure what people want. It's no good to tell people how progressive they shouldn't be or mistakenly are. Many voters really don't care if a proposal is conservative as much as if it will be good for them and there's a chance it can happen if they vote for someone who can happen it. If they think Warren is a better happener than Sanders I don't have much of an argument to put up to the contrary. I will say Biden would be an even better happener if he wanted to happen things.

Muzio

Quote from: drogulus on October 05, 2019, 06:40:33 AM
     No, I understand the use of "fired". Did Warren say she was fired?
Yes.  The "jerylbier.blogspot.com" article I linked to before contained a link to an article in the Independent.  The Independent article stated,

...But, standing in that union hall on a recent rainy afternoon in front of all those teachers, Ms Warren had a story to tell that's more than just her policies.

"I had this dream I wanted to be a public school teacher. And, so, like a lot of Americans, I have a story that kind of twists and turns. It doesn't take a straight line," she said, describing her "first love" in life: teaching.

"I loved it, and I would probably still be doing it today but back in the day, before unions, the principal, by the time we got to the end of the first year, I was visibly pregnant," she said. "And the principal did what principals did in those days: they wished you luck, showed you the door, and hired someone else for the job.

"And there went my dream."

She said that her principal showed her the door after wishing her luck.  Showing someone the door means "you're fired."

Independent article link: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/elizabeth-warren-background-teacher-harvard-university-2020-campaign-election-democrat-a8919381.html

(Note:There are also videos, which Trump will, of course, use to grind her bones, should she become the nominee.)

drogulus

I don't get where she said the principal showing her the door meant she was fired. I think she would have said she was fired if she meant that. It would have helped her narrative.

Karl Henning

You must discount Muzio as a Trumpkin troll. He's not interested in discussion.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Muzio

Quote from: drogulus on October 05, 2019, 08:46:04 AM
     I don't get where she said the principle showing her the door meant she was fired. I think she would have said she was fired if she meant that. It would have helped her narrative.
Hmmm...I have to admit, now that you mention it, to 'show someone the door' is most ambiguous.  It could mean lots of things, depending on context.  Why, thesaurus.com, for example, lists all kinds of possible synonyms.  I guess, darn it, we'll never know what Pocahontas really meant.  :laugh:

Muzio

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 05, 2019, 09:10:52 AM

"Polly wants a cracker?"

drogulus

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 05, 2019, 09:10:52 AM

I don't have to do anything!

I let him do it.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Quote from: Muzio on October 05, 2019, 10:13:31 AM
Pocahontas

groan...

You know why Trump calls her that? Because the joke was "Faux-cahontas" and he was incapable of mastering the joke.

drogulus

Muzio

Some complimentary remarks about Warren from a conservative reporter in The American Thinker:
QuoteIt's always useful to know what a campaign is like, the lay of the land, so to speak, the supporters, the campaign operation, the candidate herself.

Here in San Diego, Elizabeth Warren paid a visit Thursday, so I went, taking my elderly mother, blending into the crowd to learn how things looked from the Democrat side.

The most obvious takeaway is that Warren is rising.  Based on her own energetic appearance and stump speech, she's now begun campaigning as if she's got the Democratic nomination in the bag, and she's now attempting to move to the center.

That signals a swift campaign response to the de facto collapses of her Democratic rivals, which seem to be happening.  Joe Biden is imploding over the massive corruption of his family political machine.  Bernie Sanders is effectively out based on his age-related medical issues.  Kamala Harris has been a goner ever since Rep. Tulsi Gabbard excoriated her in the second Democratic debate over her appalling record as a prosecutor.  The rest are pipsqueaks.  Neither Warren nor her campaign operatives mentioned any of that, but her San Diego stop showed pretty clearly that the Democrats are consolidating, and Warren is attempting to move toward the center as Trump's likeliest opponent...
The article is longer, but is worth a read.  It does not get into policy discussions and the author, as I said, has several nice things to say about the candidate.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/10/what_i_saw_at_the_elizabeth_warren_rally.html