And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Madiel on October 06, 2019, 07:10:34 PM
This kind of feels like the nationwide equivalent of "stay off my lawn".

I can understand how someone who lives in a small, weak country thinks so. 

Quote from: JBS on October 06, 2019, 07:37:27 PMI've seen everyone from Assyria onwards . . .

No, you haven't.  You're a middle aged dude.  Any supposed special historical insight you believe you gain from being Jewish is hokum.

Also, US monetary sovereignty will not be negated by current politics, even if it lasts for decades.

Quote from: drogulus on October 06, 2019, 07:39:01 PMThe EU is on a pseudo gold standard.

This is certainly one of the two or three dumbest posts about economics you've written, and that is saying a lot.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Quote from: Todd on October 06, 2019, 08:30:13 PM

:laugh:  Oh FFS, just put your genitals away and zip up your pants. And then hop back to the 1980s where you'll be happier.

The quality of life in this small, weak country is measurably better in any number of ways. As it is in a number of other small, weak countries that time and again score above your big, tough country.  You know, I'm projected to live longer than you simply by virtue of where I was born?

One of the most amusing thing about Americans is when they act as if other countries want to destroy the American way of life. I'm not at all jealous of your way of life, and Americans are doing a superb job of destroying it all by themselves. Nuclear weapons aren't going to protect you from what actually ails your country.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Countries can be weak or strong in many ways and all countries have weaknesses and strenghts. For example the US is weak on gun safety. The US is weak on workers rights. The US has the worst healthcare system of all developped countries. The US is weak on healthy eating habits avoiding obesity. The US is weak on recycling. The US has a weak education system. The US is weak on equality before the law. Your country is very strong on some things, especially military force, but has a lot of weaknesses too and the US doesn't rank very favorably on things regarding the quality of life despite of being the richest country on the planet.

I don't know where you got your silly arrogance, but it shows stunning ignorance of the World and life. You could try opening your eyes sir. 
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

milk

So, Bernie seems politically done, Biden too, will anyone else challenge Warren? For all her faults, she seems more substantive than some of the others. 

drogulus

Also, US monetary sovereignty will not be negated by current politics, even if it lasts for decades.

This is certainly one of the two or three dumbest posts about economics you've written, and that is saying a lot.

You put both of these judgements in the same comment. Do you know anything at all about money sovereignty?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Quote from: Madiel on October 06, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
:laugh:  Oh FFS, just put your genitals away and zip up your pants. And then hop back to the 1980s where you'll be happier.

The quality of life in this small, weak country is measurably better in any number of ways. As it is in a number of other small, weak countries that time and again score above your big, tough country.  You know, I'm projected to live longer than you simply by virtue of where I was born?

One of the most amusing thing about Americans is when they act as if other countries want to destroy the American way of life. I'm not at all jealous of your way of life, and Americans are doing a superb job of destroying it all by themselves. Nuclear weapons aren't going to protect you from what actually ails your country.

I'm particularly amused by the idea that the world cooperator alliance system is under attack and how that, or a mystery something, proves it's worthless.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Quote from: milk on October 07, 2019, 02:24:21 AM
So, Bernie seems politically done, Biden too, will anyone else challenge Warren? For all her faults, she seems more substantive than some of the others. 

She is in the lead at the moment. Biden is as bad at running for President as he's been for decades. Bernie is not running against a single establishment candidate.

Warren appeals to policy geeks and people who like her spirited way of campaigning. It's an interesting combination. The geek is the one that's supposed to put most voters to sleep.

Muzio

Quote from: milk on October 07, 2019, 02:24:21 AM
Are they gonna hand it to Warren, just like that??  NOT SO FAST, says Willie Brown, well-known San Fran dem, and HeelsUp Harris' former married lover.

QuoteWillie Brown: Democrats 'Depressing,' Only Hillary Clinton Can Beat Trump

Former San Francisco mayor and California State Assembly speaker Willie Brown has declared that only Hillary Clinton can defeat President Donald Trump in 2020 — and that the current candidates left him with "depression."  "Depression over the current field was swirling through my head the other day," Brown wrote in his latest column Saturday for the San Francisco Chronicle, before a portrait of Muhammad Ali had him thinking about a "rematch."

"Think about it. Hillary is still the smartest of the bunch. She's also better known than any of the candidates, so she doesn't need a lot of money," Brown argued.

"Clinton is the only candidate short of Barack Obama who has the brains, the battle-tested brawn and the national presence to take out Trump. And Obama can't run." he said.

Brown's latest vote of no confidence in the current Democratic field echoes his earlier pronouncements. In February, he had already declared that none of the candidates — including his former girlfriend, Kamala Harris — could beat Trump.

The Democratic candidates "all have impressive credentials, winning personalities and positive messages, but none displays the "people personality" that our media-savvy president has mastered," Brown wrote at the time.

The most recent Public Policy Institute of California poll showed Harris in a distant fourth among likely Democratic primary voters in her home state, while former Vice President Joe Biden and Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT) were locked in a dead heat for first place.

"However, among voters with a candidate preference, more than half (53%) would consider supporting another candidate," the PPIC poll added.

(https://www.breitbart.com/2020-election/2019/10/06/willie-brown-democrats-depressing-only-hillary-clinton-can-beat-trump/)

(https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/williesworld/article/Who-should-run-against-Trump-How-about-Hillary-14494201.php)

drogulus

The supermarket tabloids say Hillary will run, get a disease that makes her fall down, divorce Big Bill, go full lesbionic at the convention, and be abducted by aliens just before her coronation.

I believe all this because it's so interesting and fun, the pseudo gold standard for truth.

Todd

Quote from: Madiel on October 06, 2019, 09:02:45 PM:laugh:  Oh FFS, just put your genitals away and zip up your pants. And then hop back to the 1980s where you'll be happier.

Your response perfectly exemplifies the type of GMG Big Brain response I find so amusing.  (You're an attorney, so you are a Big Brain.)  I'm guessing you don't see the incongruity between the first part of the response and the second.

Quote from: Madiel on October 06, 2019, 09:02:45 PMOne of the most amusing thing about Americans is when they act as if other countries want to destroy the American way of life.

It would quite helpful if you could point out where I used the phrase "American way of life".  Ever.  You are responding to what you wish I had written, not to what I wrote.

Quote from: Madiel on October 06, 2019, 09:02:45 PMNuclear weapons aren't going to protect you from what actually ails your country.

Deterrence is a complicated concept, so I get why you are confused.

Quote from: drogulus on October 07, 2019, 04:52:48 AM
     You put both of these judgements in the same comment. Do you know anything at all about money sovereignty?

For starters, I know it's called monetary sovereignty.  You can't even get the basic terminology correct.

drogulus

Quote from: Todd on October 07, 2019, 06:09:47 AM

For starters, I know it's called monetary sovereignty.  You can't even get the basic terminology correct.

That's neither here nor there.

What is sovereign money?

For a better understanding of what sovereign money is and what it implies, it is useful to compare it with bankmoney, i.e. the present system of fractional reserve banking. Normally, bankmoney is as liquid as sovereign money, i.e. available any time on demand. But sovereign money does in fact exist; it is the safe property of the customer who owns the money. Bankmoney, by contrast, is not money proper, not legal tender, but just a claim on money, a claim on having paid out cash, or having transferred such 'deposits' on demand. Bankmoney is but a balance-sheet item of a bank, thus basically unsafe and unstable. In a banking crisis, money in a bank account might disappear. Bankmoney, as monetary theory rightly states in this regard, is but a money surrogate we use as if it were money, in fact a cash debt, a liability of the bank to the customer.

This relation is sometimes called vertical (sovereign) and horizontal (bank). I've read a little of the economist associated with this depiction, maybe a single paper, but mostly know it from references in post-Keynesian economic discussions.

Monetary sovereignty:

1. Issues its own currency exclusively
     2. Requires all taxes and related obligations to be extinguished in that currency
     3. Can purchase anything that is for sale in that currency at any time it chooses, without financial constraints. That includes all idle labor.
     4. Its central bank sets the interest rate
     5. The currency floats
     6. The Government does not borrow in any currency other than its own.

This is subject to caveats. A central bank might even find it useful to own some gold! A monetarily sovereign currency issuer might fiddle uselessly with exchange rates. Sovereignty doesn't forbid external debt.

Todd

Quote from: drogulus on October 07, 2019, 06:54:07 AMI've read a little of the economist associated with this depiction, maybe a single paper, but mostly know it from references in post-Keynesian economic discussions.

I see.

drogulus

What I read was about a book Basil Moore wrote, not by Basil Moore:

Basil J. Moore's Horizontalists and Verticalists: an appraisal 25 years later

Todd

71 dB

Saying only Hillary Clinton could beat Trump takes a special kind of "out of touch" ignorance. Somehow such ignorance is shockingly common in the establishment circles. We just witnessed in 2016 how royally HC lost to Trump so telling she is the only one who could beat Trump is moronic to say the least. She has got the brains? What? Since when? She was totally clueless in 2016 how to beat Trump and I haven't heard or seen anything from her to indicate she has learned anything since.

It takes "out of touch" ignorance to not see how strong Bernie Sanders would be against Trump. Even in Texas Bernie could possibly beat Trump! Texas! Not to mention the rust belt were Bernie would wipe the floor with Trump. However, you are ignorant of these things if you watch corporate media. They tell Bernie is over. That's the lies millions of americans believe and we non-americans need to expose the truth.  ::)

Todd

Quote from: 71 dB on October 07, 2019, 09:20:38 AMIt takes "out of touch" ignorance to not see how strong Bernie Sanders would be against Trump. Even in Texas Bernie could possibly beat Trump! Texas! Not to mention the rust belt were Bernie would wipe the floor with Trump. However, you are ignorant of these things if you watch corporate media. They tell Bernie is over. That's the lies millions of americans believe and we non-americans need to expose the truth.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Bernie had a heart attack.

71 dB

Quote from: Todd on October 07, 2019, 09:28:52 AM

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Bernie had a heart attack.

Corporate media takes everything out of it and paints it much more dramatic than it was.

Todd

Quote from: 71 dB on October 07, 2019, 09:36:33 AM
Corporate media takes everything out of it and paints it much more dramatic than it was.

It was a heart attack.

71 dB

Quote from: Todd on October 07, 2019, 09:39:09 AM

It was a heart attack.

Bernie is feeling well now. His medical issue was dealth with. The same operation was done to Bill Clinton when he was 58 and to my knowledge Bill Clinton is doing fine. Having a heart attack doesn't mean you are over.

Todd

Quote from: 71 dB on October 07, 2019, 09:46:02 AM
Bernie is feeling well now. His medical issue was dealth with. The same operation was done to Bill Clinton when he was 58 and to my knowledge Bill Clinton is doing fine. Having a heart attack doesn't mean you are over.

It was a heart attack.  Bernie is 78.