And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 22, 2019, 03:49:27 PM
All of this post is of course nonsense. What created terrorism? Interventionism. So how is anti-interventionism bad in regards of terrorism? Wapo wants corporate candidate so they craft these nonsense articles.

Very sad that you are so blinkered.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on October 22, 2019, 03:49:27 PM
All of this post is of course nonsense. What created terrorism? Interventionism. So how is anti-interventionism bad in regards of terrorism? Wapo wants corporate candidate so they craft these nonsense articles.

Because terrorism may have been catalyzed by interventionism, but it won't stop just because interventionism stops.

You do know that the largest number of victims of Islamic terrorism are Muslims killed in their home countries?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Muzio

Quote from: 71 dB on October 22, 2019, 11:08:15 AM
Trump compared his impeachment to lynching.  ::)

The President was exactly correct.

But before you get too full of moral outrage about the term "lynching," remember that it was used repeatedly by the dems (both black and white) during the Clinton impeachment.  Videos abound.  A few of the comments:

Joe Biden: "Even if the President should be impeached, history is going to question whether or not this was just a partisan lynching..."

Dem. Rep. Gregory Meeks on Bill Clinton's impeachment in 1998: "What we are doing here is not a prosecution, it is a persecution and indeed it is a political lynching."

"I will not vote for this Lynching in the People's house"

Jim McDermott: "We're taking a step down the road to becoming a political Lynch Mob... We are going to find a rope find a tree and ask a bunch of questions later.."

Democrats are outraged about Trump comparing impeachment to lynching, but Nadler in 1998 accused Republicans of "running a lynch mob."

During the Benzhazi hearings, CNN referred to "The high-tech lynching of Hillary Clinton..."

ETC., ETC.....
  :D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Quote from: Muzio on October 22, 2019, 05:46:46 PM
Exactly, right?  I mean, come on, that was so 1998.

Well Trump's clearly forgotten - he's asking us to imagine an alternate universe where a Democrat gets impeached.

Also: does Trump look like a "strong leader" to you when he's continually whining poor me so unfair into twitter?

Muzio

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2019, 03:40:12 PM
Bad news for both Warren and the "It's got to be Bernie! contingent:

In sum, Democrats do need to excite their base. However, with 33 percent of voters deciding their vote based on who Democrats nominate, 50 percent of Republicans willing to consider another candidate and 54 percent of voters worried about terrorism, Democrats would be wise to nominate someone credible on national security and not considered politically extreme. Democrats should choose very wisely.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/21/democrats-cannot-win-merely-by-turning-out-base/
I worry about Biden. I think it's a bad idea for a Lot of reasons. Yet I do not think Bernie Sanders is the right or realistic choice. I still think Warren can appeal to the middle. But I'm not totally sold because she also has big flaws. My cards on the table: I dislike Klobuchar and Harris. I like Booker but wonder why he's still hanging around. It's not gonna be Sanders and I'm hoping it's not Biden. Dems could lose if their candidate can't appeal to working class economic concerns.

drogulus

Quote from: milk on October 23, 2019, 02:18:00 AM
I worry about Biden. I think it's a bad idea for a Lot of reasons. Yet I do not think Bernie Sanders is the right or realistic choice. I still think Warren can appeal to the middle. But I'm not totally sold because she also has big flaws. My cards on the table: I dislike Klobuchar and Harris. I like Booker but wonder why he's still hanging around. It's not gonna be Sanders and I'm hoping it's not Biden. Dems could lose if their candidate can't appeal to working class economic concerns.

Dems don't need a flawless candidate that appeals to everyone. Obama wasn't one. What they need is a happy warrior with a good campaign focusing on the battleground states that HRC took for granted.

I think the Putin vote won't decide things. Jill Stein has said "no puppet", but that isn't necessarily up to her.

From 2016:

Russian Environmentalists Brand U.S. Green Party Putin 'Accomplices'

"How is it possible to have a discussion with Mr. Putin and not mention, not even once, the fate of Russian political prisoners, or the attacks against Russian journalists, artists, and environmentalists? Is it fair to speak with him about 'geopolitics' and not mention new Russian laws against freedom of speech, restrictions on NGOs and activists, or the shameful law that forbids 'homosexual propaganda'?"

The pair also demanded that the U.S. Green Party clarify its position on Putin, to demonstrate it is opposed to the "anti-democratic and anti-environmental" aspects of the Russian administration.

A Green Party spokesman, brushed off the criticism, telling Radio Liberty that he thinks "the letter exaggerates Dr. Stein's alleged deference to President Putin."

So, environmental activists have to flee Russia. Jill Stein is not knowing about it very strongly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on October 23, 2019, 05:35:21 AM
     Dems don't need a flawless candidate that appeals to everyone. Obama wasn't one. What they need is a happy warrior with a good campaign focusing on the battleground states that HRC took for granted.

I suppose it does not absolutely count  Warren out, but ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

HRC assumed she would be elected and sat on a lead while it evaporated. No Dem will do that this time. There are polls right now saying Trump will win.

Michael Moore predicted Trump would win in 2016. He's from Michigan. He knows tone ground level working class politics in battleground states. What he knew is now widely known.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Yet I do not think Bernie Sanders is the right or realistic choice.

Why do you think that? Bernie does well in the polls, has larger grassroot movement than anybody else and gets more donations than even Elizabeth Warren. So what makes Bernie unrealistic? The answer is not Bernie is too left. HE IS NOT TOO LEFT!! Only the moronic elite thinks that!
He is the ONLY one left enough for regular americans, what struggling americans and the whole damn country NEED!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on October 23, 2019, 09:48:31 AM
Why do you think that? Bernie does well in the polls, has larger grassroot movement than anybody else and gets more donations than even Elizabeth Warren. So what makes Bernie unrealistic? The answer is not Bernie is too left. HE IS NOT TOO LEFT!! Only the moronic elite thinks that!
He is the ONLY one left enough for regular americans, what struggling americans and the whole damn country NEED!

How will you explain it if Bernie comes in 4th in early states?

If it's all brainwashing there's no hope and we might as well let Bashar Gabbard run everything, providing she promises not to bomb hospitals.

I'm not big on the brainwashing explanation. I think people choose to hold narrow views and let emotions get the best of them, especially under economic stress.

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on October 23, 2019, 10:05:06 AM
      How will you explain it if Bernie comes in 4th in early states?

Something very unexpected has to happen for Bernie to not be in top 3 in early states. So, that unexpected thing will be the explanation.

drogulus

Bernie is good to keep pressure on from the left, forcing Dems to advocate Dem programs, maybe more popular versions but recognizably what Dem voters and lots of other people would like to see.

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on October 23, 2019, 10:37:40 AM
     Bernie is good to keep pressure on from the left, forcing Dems to advocate Dem programs, maybe more popular versions but recognizably what Dem voters and lots of other people would like to see.

Bernie's influence can be seen in how medicare for all isn't considered anymore a "fringe" idea (as if a system that every other country has is "fringe". No, the for profit system in the US is the "fringe" one.)    Many candidates have advocated some kind of Medicare-for-"all" system to get support among voters because about 85 % of Democratic voters support medicare-for-all and it's a winning issue, but they have also backpedaled (even Warren is a bit wishy washy) a bit to not scare their billionaire donors away. Pete Buttigieg for example has his version where you have current system co-existing with medicare for all system, but that IS NOT single payer system and doesn't have the cost benefits of single payer! It woulf lead to cherry picking of the private sector while driving ill people to the public sector ruining the whole idea of flattened risk pool. The donors like that, because it keeps the mafia aka health insurance companies in place, but that's not a winning stragedy!

Bernie's problem is corporate media which hates him and covers him negatively and dishonestly and also older people. Among young voters he dominates massively (he's support among young voters is ~45%, as much as the next three candidates, Warren, Biden and Buttigieg combined). Young voters can make Bernie the next president. All they have to do is vote!

71 dB

Here is one example of how the corporate media covers Bernie Sanders dishonestly:

CNN: Is Bernie's Campaign "Too Urban"?

https://www.youtube.com/v/vN1fPs6kVjE

In 2016 Bernie's support was "too white and male". Now when he has the endorsement of the likes of AOC and Ilhan Omar it's too "urban".  ;D

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on October 23, 2019, 11:04:50 AM

Bernie's problem is corporate media which hates him and covers him negatively and dishonestly and also older people. Among young voters he dominates massively (he's support among young voters is ~45%, as much as the next three candidates, Warren, Biden and Buttigieg combined). Young voters can make Bernie the next president. All they have to do is vote!

The media have a love/hate thing going on with him. They like to put on on a serious responsible face and say these kids today don't know how politics works. And it's somewhat true and isn't much of a disadvantage. You just go ahead and fight for what you want. That's how "nothing ever" changes happen.

Sometimes a fight is worth it even if you lose. Bernie is changing the landscape for everyone and has been doing it for years. His influence is much bigger than his own Presidential prospects IME.

SimonNZ

Quote from: 71 dB on October 23, 2019, 11:25:18 AM
Here is one example of how the corporate media covers Bernie Sanders dishonestly:

Can you give an example or two of criticism of Sanders you thought might have been justified, or of specific aspects of his policies you're less inclined towards, or of a time you thought he might have misspoken or made a gaffe?

Is is this picture completely rose-tinted? Is any and all criticism "corporate dishonesty"?