And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 03, 2019, 09:18:39 AM
I guess you'll never tire of flattering yourself.

This is not me flattering myself. I do follow US politics quite closely for a Finn, but I am not expert. I was right about Kamala Harris demonstrating I am not clueless as some members here suggest, ironically being themselves often somewhat clueless believers of the MSM.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 03, 2019, 11:42:28 AM
Most of us outside the US can see the madness of American politics but not that many can understand it.

Well, I didn't understand much anything myself just 3 years ago. I was ignorant, but Trump's victory made me interested of understanding how it was possible and why Hillary Clinton lost so I started educating myself and it didn't take long before I discovered the likes of Kyle Kulinski of Secular Talk and learned things that explained what happened in the 2016 election.

My mistake was to assume the Democrats are all "good guys" while the Republicans are the "bad guys", but it's much worse. Almost everyone are "bad guys" and only the left wing of the Democrats and third party members are "good guys" with almost zero political power. My mistake was to assume Americans want right-wing policies when it's about an oligarchy where the rich buy the elections to serve themselves and other rich people. Some American are socially conservative (against gay marriage, abortion etc.), but on economic issues Americans are on the left, often not even realizing it themselves. They are for increasing minimum wage, medicare for all, free college, etc. In the American corporate media the left-right devide is on social issues as they all are on the right on economic issues serving the top 1 %. MSNBC serves billionaires and millionaires who are on the left on social issues (against medicare for all, bur for gay marriage) while Fox News is for billionaires and millionaires who are on the right on social issues. That's the spectrum.

Trump's madness is on it's own level, but US politics has been quite crazy for decades even before Trump, starting from the "money is speech" Supreme Court decisions back in the late 70's which made oligarchy possible and followed by the "trickle down economics" scam of Reagan in the 80's. Ever since the Overton Window has moved more and more to the right so that The Democrats such as Nancy Pelosi are where the Republicans used to be a few decades ago so that for example Obamacare was what the Republicans wanted in the 80's! Hillary Clinton used to be for medicare for all in the early 1990's before she got corrupt. All of this madness has created income inequaty so vast that it's unsustainable, as crazy as it was just before the great regression of 1930. The three wealthiest families in the US own as much wealth as the bottom half (165 million people) of Americans. Nowhere in the US minimum wage pays for a two room apartment. Half of Americans don't have $400 emergency funds and so on. That's why the US needs huge structural changes and the only person of the candidates who can bring that is Bernie Sanders.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2019, 11:53:49 AM
This is not me flattering myself. I do follow US politics quite closely for a Finn, but I am not expert. I was right about Kamala Harris demonstrating I am not clueless as some members here suggest, ironically being themselves often somewhat clueless believers of the MSM.

You just don't perceive how that post to which I replied makes you out to be a supremely self-satisfied ass. You may not st first believe it, but I speak as a friend.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2019, 12:38:19 PM
Well, I didn't understand much anything myself just 3 years ago. I was ignorant, but Trump's victory made me interested of understanding how it was possible and why Hillary Clinton lost so I started educating myself and it didn't take long before I discovered the likes of Kyle Kulinski of Secular Talk and learned things that explained what happened in the 2016 election.

My mistake was to assume the Democrats are all "good guys" while the Republicans are the "bad guys", but it's much worse. Almost everyone are "bad guys" and only the left wing of the Democrats and third party members are "good guys" with almost zero political power. My mistake was to assume Americans want right-wing policies when it's about an oligarchy where the rich buy the elections to serve themselves and other rich people. Some American are socially conservative (against gay marriage, abortion etc.), but on economic issues Americans are on the left, often not even realizing it themselves. They are for increasing minimum wage, medicare for all, free college, etc. In the American corporate media the left-right devide is on social issues as they all are on the right on economic issues serving the top 1 %. MSNBC serves billionaires and millionaires who are on the left on social issues (against medicare for all, bur for gay marriage) while Fox News is for billionaires and millionaires who are on the right on social issues. That's the spectrum.

Trump's madness is on it's own level, but US politics has been quite crazy for decades even before Trump, starting from the "money is speech" Supreme Court decisions back in the late 70's which made oligarchy possible and followed by the "trickle down economics" scam of Reagan in the 80's. Ever since the Overton Window has moved more and more to the right so that The Democrats such as Nancy Pelosi are where the Republicans used to be a few decades ago so that for example Obamacare was what the Republicans wanted in the 80's! Hillary Clinton used to be for medicare for all in the early 1990's before she got corrupt. All of this madness has created income inequaty so vast that it's unsustainable, as crazy as it was just before the great regression of 1930. The three wealthiest families in the US own as much wealth as the bottom half (165 million people) of Americans. Nowhere in the US minimum wage pays for a two room apartment. Half of Americans don't have $400 emergency funds and so on. That's why the US needs huge structural changes and the only person of the candidates who can bring that is Bernie Sanders.
Thanks for that, can't wait for you to write the definitive reference on today's US political madness. From my perspective the madest thing about US politics is Americans can't or won't see their so called democracy is seriously compromised by the system they've constructed.
Disagree though about Sanders. If I was a US citizen I'd be voting for Pete Buttigieg with only one doubt. Who's going to lead the presidential dance at the inaugural ball? Pete or his hubby?

SimonNZ

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2019, 08:32:29 AM
Yes, and they admit to that. They tell their bias.

You've said this a number of times and I really want to know how you justify this belief.

So: how do they "tell their bias"?

71 dB

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 03, 2019, 01:29:34 PM
Thanks for that, can't wait for you to write the definitive reference on today's US political madness. From my perspective the madest thing about US politics is Americans can't or won't see their so called democracy is seriously compromised by the system they've constructed.
Disagree though about Sanders. If I was a US citizen I'd be voting for Pete Buttigieg with only one doubt. Who's going to lead the presidential dance at the inaugural ball? Pete or his hubby?

Buttigieg is an opportunistic conman who just wants to be the president. He doesn't care about fixing the system.

71 dB

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 03, 2019, 03:10:56 PM
You've said this a number of times and I really want to know how you justify this belief.

So: how do they "tell their bias"?

Like this:

Description
Home of news & politics commentary from the libertarian-left; populist; social democratic; agnostic-atheist perspective.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2019, 05:26:53 PM
Buttigieg is an opportunistic conman who just wants to be the president. He doesn't care about fixing the system.
I disagree so completley with your evaluation there's no point in discussing it with you.

Karl Henning

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 03, 2019, 06:14:45 PM
I disagree so completley with your evaluation there's no point in discussing it with you.

That is prudent, because no one changes his mind, he already knows it all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 03, 2019, 06:16:44 PM
That is prudent, because no one changes his mind, he already knows it all.
Maybe he could lecture in politics at Harvard?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: Ratliff on December 03, 2019, 08:41:52 AM
You've given yourself the responsibility of providing trigger warnings for 71dB posts? :)

DiMo is a new member, so I thought it appropriate to warn him that 71db's endorsement of the Young Turks should be taken with a heaping pile of salt grains.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2019, 05:44:29 PM
Like this:

Description
Home of news & politics commentary from the libertarian-left; populist; social democratic; agnostic-atheist perspective.

Umm, libertarian means wanting as little government intervention as possible. People like me. Not people who want to increase government control of health care, the economy, and most everything else....which is what progressivism is about.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2019, 05:44:29 PM
Like this:

Description

Oh is that all you meant by it.

I thought you were suggesting they draw attention to and illustrate the ways their selection process and interpretations for a predetermined narrative throughout each and every one of their articles or shows.

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on December 03, 2019, 07:23:33 PM
Umm, libertarian means wanting as little government intervention as possible. People like me. Not people who want to increase government control of health care, the economy, and most everything else....which is what progressivism is about.

Sometimes government is good, sometimes bad. Evidence, reason etc. tells us when.
Libertarian in government not banning big sodas (Bloomberg).
Goverment intervention has to have benefits
It's case by case.

71 dB

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 03, 2019, 08:22:35 PM
Oh is that all you meant by it.

I thought you were suggesting they draw attention to and illustrate the ways their selection process and interpretations for a predetermined narrative throughout each and every one of their articles or shows.

Sorry, but you need to actually listen to them. It's not their fault you have delusions about their predetermined narratives.

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 03, 2019, 12:51:51 PM
You just don't perceive how that post to which I replied makes you out to be a supremely self-satisfied ass. You may not st first believe it, but I speak as a friend.

I don't really care. I did care in the 80's. In the 90's I started care a bit less, but I still cared. Nowadays I just don't care because I am too cynical to care.

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on December 03, 2019, 02:26:37 AM
Why would they get any coverage in Australia or elsewhere for that matter? They are independent outlets. You have to discover them yourself. Luckily Youtube recommends others when you discover one, or at least it used to. Nowawadays Youtube tries to lead people to mainstream channels because of the stupid decisions they have been making, but it is what it is.

Youtube changed its algorithms precisely because they discovered that the old algorithm was leading people further and further down niche cul-de-sacs, feeding and encouraging whatever particular quirk they started with.  Maybe not so bad when it comes to the kind of political commentary you're interested in, but it was also leading people towards violent extremism and terrorism and the like.

Nevertheless, if your political education over the last few years consisted of "hey, this is great what Youtube is showing me based on what I already saw", and you're unhappy that Youtube is no longer doing this... that doesn't actually bode terribly well for the quality of the political education you've been receiving.

And just to be clear, the way I learned about Youtube's algorithm problems has absolutely nothing to do with politics.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: Madiel on December 04, 2019, 02:29:31 AM
Youtube changed its algorithms precisely because they discovered that the old algorithm was leading people further and further down niche cul-de-sacs, feeding and encouraging whatever particular quirk they started with.  Maybe not so bad when it comes to the kind of political commentary you're interested in, but it was also leading people towards violent extremism and terrorism and the like.

Nevertheless, if your political education over the last few years consisted of "hey, this is great what Youtube is showing me based on what I already saw", and you're unhappy that Youtube is no longer doing this... that doesn't actually bode terribly well for the quality of the political education you've been receiving.

And just to be clear, the way I learned about Youtube's algorithm problems has absolutely nothing to do with politics.

What exactly would bode well for the quality of the political education I've been receiving?

YOU do not know HOW I have gotten into US politics. YOU think I am a braindeath person who believes everything a lefty says. I am not. I use my own head. These lefties make sense most of the time while the corporate media is HORRIBLE propaganda for the rich. If YOU don't see that it's NOT my problem!!!

The left has disagreements. Cenk Uygur believe Trumps is history soon (tick tick tick). Kyle Kulinski believes Trump is ok. We don't know what happens

I didn't say I am unhappy about the algorithms. They are what they are. Sometimes it gets my nerves when I watch one cat video Youtube starts to forcefeed me cat videos.

The point is lefty opinions are almost non-existing in corporate media. They invate celebrities (Michael Moore etc,) that's it. Corporate propaganda is everywhere. Think yourself!!

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2019, 03:04:05 AM
YOU do not know HOW I have gotten into US politics. YOU think I am a braindeath person who believes everything a lefty says. I am not. I use my own head. These lefties make sense most of the time while the corporate media is HORRIBLE propaganda for the rich. If YOU don't see that it's NOT my problem!!!

And YOU are reading WAY too much into MY comment.

But YOU are the one who SAID how GREAT it was that YOUTUBE led you to all YOUR favourites.

I've given up exclamation marks for today.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: Madiel on December 04, 2019, 03:32:03 AM
And YOU are reading WAY too much into MY comment.

But YOU are the one who SAID how GREAT it was that YOUTUBE led you to all YOUR favourites.

I've given up exclamation marks for today.

Youtube is the only thing that can do that, because these lefties are there. The "greatness" is that Youtube gives a platform also to non-corporates so that one can listen to Kyle Kulinski, Sean Hannity and Rachel Maddow and make up their mind of who makes most sense.