And They're Off! The Democratic Candidates for 2020

Started by JBS, June 26, 2019, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: greg on February 15, 2020, 03:27:17 PM
It's the tribalistic thinking that I'm talking about (groupthink), which leads to much over-confidence.

People will ignore the downsides about what they assert about their conclusions, or the implications of their ideas in action. I see the contradictory nature of this in even very popular political issues.

And also the pressure to fit into a box, which I get the sense of very much from this thread (ex. the assumption that I "must be a Trump supporter" even though I don't vote). It even happened back in the Obama days when I would tell people (mostly IRL discussions) that the accusations against him are silly.

The fact that I wish to detach from all the tribes will ultimately mean everyone will hate me, which is fine, I guess. I only like to look at things as objectively as possible. If I don't know enough about something, I won't have an opinion.

Which is also consistent about my idea of people should only be allowed to vote after a political knowledge test and an IQ test (since IQ is pattern-related, it can help in understanding effects of actions/what patterns can result after a choice). But that's another topic entirely, just an idea I've had.

Again just like 71db: "my views are an objective assessment of the facts - your views are mere groupthink"

Again I think its explained by how you get your "news".

Madiel

Quote from: greg on February 15, 2020, 03:27:17 PM
It's the tribalistic thinking that I'm talking about (groupthink), which leads to much over-confidence.

And exactly what has that got to do with me and what I was saying, when you brought up this overconfidence thing?

Various other things you're talking about also have nothing to do with me or what I've personally said. I recognise them as being related to what others have said in this thread, but it was me you were replying to when you decided to talk about having a problem with people having opinions.

Do you actually know who my preferred Democratic candidate is, given the topic of this thread? If you do, then please tell me because I sure don't know yet.

I'm not tribal. I'm not anti-Republican. I have an extremely low view of Trump, specifically, because of how he's actually behaved. The Republicans had candidates in 2016 that they could have picked and we simply wouldn't be having this conversation. Because those candidates were somewhere within the bounds of sanity and competency. But no. The reality TV star won. The businessman who only 'succeeds' by constantly threatening lawsuits and by using his inherited funds when others successfully sue him, that's the guy who won.

Again, you seem to believe that "balance" requires never reaching any kind of conclusion about anyone or anything. When lots and lots of people reach the same conclusion that in and of itself is not evidence of groupthink, or tribalism. It can actually be because they all obtained evidence.

Trump has been President for 3 years and tweets out evidence about the kind of person he is at an astonishing rate. Whatever you think of him, he's provided more directly personal material to form a judgement on than just about any other political figure. I don't think what I think about Trump because of 'groupthink' or someone else telling me what to think. I think it because for 3-4 years the man has been constantly in the public eye, on a near daily basis. He's been in the public eye in some form for DECADES. But hey, let's not be too hasty to form a judgement about him, that might look like 'groupthink' if too many of us simultaneously look at him and think WTF.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: Madiel on February 16, 2020, 12:25:06 AMI'm not tribal. I'm not anti-Republican. I have an extremely low view of Trump, specifically, because of how he's actually behaved. The Republicans had candidates in 2016 that they could have picked and we simply wouldn't be having this conversation. Because those candidates were somewhere within the bounds of sanity and competency. But no. The reality TV star won. The businessman who only 'succeeds' by constantly threatening lawsuits and by using his inherited funds when others successfully sue him, that's the guy who won.

The US has entered the era on political populism meaning populists do best in elections everything else being equal. The Republicans didn't have real populist candidates, but they had one fake populist and that fake populist is curretly in the White House.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 15, 2020, 07:57:28 PM
Again just like 71db: "my views are an objective assessment of the facts - your views are mere groupthink"

Again I think its explained by how you get your "news".
I don't know why you are so concerned about how I get my news. And not sure why that would be a just me problem when news media generally isn't very good or unbiased.

His opinions are probably a bit more authentic than most people's, though at the same time I don't think he's acknowledging the downsides... which is why I don't understand fanaticism of any politicians.

Also... As far as voting goes i would rather vote against rather than for... If that were the system i would probably vote.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

milk

Biden: no way please for this guy who's been in politics way too long and is tied to too many policies, votes, gaffes, etc.
Buttigieg: honestly, I still haven't focused on him. But, on paper, he seems like a real lightweight. Plus, what's the movement he leads? Is he even electable in his own state? Maybe he's smart. Anything else?
Warren: I actually find her likable and a very good politician in the sense of projecting good intentions and spirit. She's just made really big blunders here and there. It makes me wonder. And was tying herself to Medicare-for-all a big mistake? Being bashed so much makes her seem weak but I still find her the most likable. Again, she's messed up a lot too, sadly.
Klobuchar: I find her to be unlikable and somewhat disingenuous. Her attempts at humor are painful. Prosecutors seem to be the most blatant professional liars. What does she stand for? I don't even care much. I just don't like her.
Sanders: single payer, free education, tax the rich. I like it. Why can't America be a little more like Germany or Finland? America/the world is out of hand with 4 or 5 rich guys owning half the wealth on planet earth and paying little in tax. Can he win? He makes me nervous. He's old too. Like, very old. Who'd be his running mate? Gabbard? I'm not freak'n voting for Tulsey Gabbard. Anyway, Sanders is one of the most honest politicians in politics but still, can he win? I'd like to think so but lots of the media will say no.
Bloomberg? PPleaze!

André

Sanders' choice of running mate will be of major importance. Given his advanced age and health record, his veep would have good chances of ending up prez in a Sanders first term. And of course you can forget about a second term.

All the focus is on the candidate, not his running mate. That's a ticket for big time uncertainty. Just for that reason my brother and his wife won't be voting for him in the NC primaries.

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 17, 2020, 11:57:33 AM
Bernie's GOT to win! Why don't you see it?!
He can't win against a single college girl protester so not sure he can win against his rivals.

;D :P
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on February 18, 2020, 06:01:29 AM
Biden: no way please for this guy who's been in politics way too long and is tied to too many policies, votes, gaffes, etc.
Buttigieg: honestly, I still haven't focused on him. But, on paper, he seems like a real lightweight. Plus, what's the movement he leads? Is he even electable in his own state? Maybe he's smart. Anything else?
Warren: I actually find her likable and a very good politician in the sense of projecting good intentions and spirit. She's just made really big blunders here and there. It makes me wonder. And was tying herself to Medicare-for-all a big mistake? Being bashed so much makes her seem weak but I still find her the most likable. Again, she's messed up a lot too, sadly.
Klobuchar: I find her to be unlikable and somewhat disingenuous. Her attempts at humor are painful. Prosecutors seem to be the most blatant professional liars. What does she stand for? I don't even care much. I just don't like her.
Sanders: single payer, free education, tax the rich. I like it. Why can't America be a little more like Germany or Finland? America/the world is out of hand with 4 or 5 rich guys owning half the wealth on planet earth and paying little in tax. Can he win? He makes me nervous. He's old too. Like, very old. Who'd be his running mate? Gabbard? I'm not freak'n voting for Tulsey Gabbard. Anyway, Sanders is one of the most honest politicians in politics but still, can he win? I'd like to think so but lots of the media will say no.
Bloomberg? PPleaze!

I feel ya.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Iowa recanvassing results at the moment:

Pete Buttigieg - 563.207 S.D.E.s => 14 pledged delegates
Bernie Sanders - 563.127 S.D.E.s => 12 pledged delegates

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 19, 2020, 05:20:29 AM
This will cheer Poju, anyway:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/sanders-surges-into-national-lead-in-new-post-abc-poll/2020/02/19/868266a4-5280-11ea-929a-64efa7482a77_story.html

No use to give me these paywall links, because I am not accepting their "free" entry bs. Bernie has led the national poll for some time now. Apparently even corporate media has to admit it by now as Bloomberg seems their only hope (let's see how badly Bloomberg tanks after his first debate where he can't control the narrative 100 % with his millions).

If you think they wrote something substantive you can always quote it here, thanks!

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on February 19, 2020, 06:22:24 AM
Iowa recanvassing results at the moment:

Pete Buttigieg - 563.207 S.D.E.s => 14 pledged delegates
Bernie Sanders - 563.127 S.D.E.s => 12 pledged delegates

No use to give me these paywall links, because I am not accepting their "free" entry bs. Bernie has led the national poll for some time now. Apparently even corporate media has to admit it by now as Bloomberg seems their only hope (let's see how badly Bloomberg tanks after his first debate where he can't control the narrative 100 % with his millions).

If you think they wrote something substantive you can always quote it here, thanks!

That's your trip, you know I ain't wet-nursing you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 19, 2020, 08:28:29 AM
That's your trip, you know I ain't wet-nursing you.

You are the one who tried to cheer me with your link..  ::)

JBS

The incognito tab on your browser is your friend....

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on February 19, 2020, 09:48:18 AM
The incognito tab on your browser is your friend....

Thanks for the hint, but when I tried that, I got this message:

We noticed you're browsing in private mode.
Private browsing is permitted exclusively for our subscribers. Turn off private browsing to keep reading this story, or subscribe to use this feature, plus get unlimited digital access.

:P

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on February 19, 2020, 10:14:31 AM
Thanks for the hint, but when I tried that, I got this message:

We noticed you're browsing in private mode.
Private browsing is permitted exclusively for our subscribers. Turn off private browsing to keep reading this story, or subscribe to use this feature, plus get unlimited digital access.

:P

Try a different browser. I get the link, not that message, with Google Chrome.
Come to think of it, check to make sure your browser is updated. The Post, NY Times, and others, implemented a thing to stop private/incognito browsing a few months ago. After a couple of weeks, Google updated Chrome to neutralize that effort.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

"Mister Transparency" exit stage left

"Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) at the CNN town hall Tuesday night confirmed what he told MSNBC's Chuck Todd recently: He will not, on second thought, release his full medical records as he promised after the 78-year-old had a heart attack last fall. Social media erupted with objections, with many journalists pointing out that it was hardly unreasonable to demand that he fulfill his promise.

On CNN Wednesday morning, the Sanders campaign unleashed its press secretary, Briahna Joy Gray, to launch attacks on journalists and make unsupportable claims about other candidates. Gray declared the effort to hold Sanders to his promise to be a "smear" akin to birtherism ("And what you're seeing right now is really reminiscent of some of the kind of smear, kind of skepticism campaigns that have been run against a lot of different candidates in the past. Questioning where they're from, aspects of their lineage, etc.").

If Bernie devolves into an equal-but-opposite Trump, that ain't going to create "former Trump" voters, either,
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on February 19, 2020, 10:22:10 AM
Try a different browser. I get the link, not that message, with Google Chrome.
Come to think of it, check to make sure your browser is updated. The Post, NY Times, and others, implemented a thing to stop private/incognito browsing a few months ago. After a couple of weeks, Google updated Chrome to neutralize that effort.

Thanks but no thanks. Can't be that important!

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 19, 2020, 10:29:43 AM
"Mister Transparency" exit stage left

"Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) at the CNN town hall Tuesday night confirmed what he told MSNBC's Chuck Todd recently: He will not, on second thought, release his full medical records as he promised after the 78-year-old had a heart attack last fall. Social media erupted with objections, with many journalists pointing out that it was hardly unreasonable to demand that he fulfill his promise.

On CNN Wednesday morning, the Sanders campaign unleashed its press secretary, Briahna Joy Gray, to launch attacks on journalists and make unsupportable claims about other candidates. Gray declared the effort to hold Sanders to his promise to be a "smear" akin to birtherism ("And what you're seeing right now is really reminiscent of some of the kind of smear, kind of skepticism campaigns that have been run against a lot of different candidates in the past. Questioning where they're from, aspects of their lineage, etc.").

If Bernie devolves into an equal-but-opposite Trump, that ain't going to create "former Trump" voters, either,

Pollster to Sanders: « your numbers look great ! »
Doctor to Sanders: «  your numbers look poor ! »

Sanders should consult the WH doctor for his bill of health. It'd come out clean as a whistle.