"The Magic Flute" from Komische Oper Berlin

Started by bhodges, July 23, 2019, 06:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Though much of my writing these days is behind a paywall, here's an article that isn't! I loved this production, with a handful of caveats.

http://seenandheard-international.com/2019/07/komische-oper-berlins-dazzling-tech-savvy-magic-flute-arrives-in-new-york/

--Bruce

ritter

Quote from: Brewski on July 23, 2019, 06:02:27 AM
Though much of my writing these days is behind a paywall, here's an article that isn't! I loved this production, with a handful of caveats.

http://seenandheard-international.com/2019/07/komische-oper-berlins-dazzling-tech-savvy-magic-flute-arrives-in-new-york/

--Bruce
Thanks for the review, Bruce. A great read  :). I missed that production when it was given here in Madrid some four year ago (to mixed reviews, the main objection being the deletion of the dialogues and the consequent alteration of the work's flow), but it'll be revived next season, so I might make it this time around. Barrie Kosky's production of Die Meistersinger in Bayreuth (which I saw last summer, and is also avaialble on DVD) is extrarodinary, and one I'll remember for a long time to come...

bhodges

Quote from: ritter on July 23, 2019, 06:17:55 AM
Thanks for the review, Bruce. I great read  :). I missed that production when it was given here in Madrid some four year ago (to mixed reviews, the main objection being the deletion of the dialogues and the consequent alteration of the work's flow), but it'll be revived next season, so I might make it this time around. Barrie Kosky's production of Die Meistersinger in Bayreuth (which I saw last summer, and is also avaialble on DVD) is extrarodinary, and one I'll remember for a long time to come...

Thank you for reading, Rafael! Yes, purists no doubt have complaints about the production -- the amplification is a big one -- but let's face it: someone new to opera might be really happy with it, and eager to explore more.

And I've heard great things about that Meistersinger, including "best I have ever seen." Since there's a DVD, I'll have to check that out -- thanks for mentioning.

Kosky and 1927 have also done a double bill of Stravinsky's Petrushka and Ravel's L'enfant et les sortilèges -- that sounds pretty marvelous, too.

--Bruce