I have to STOP!!

Started by 71 dB, July 27, 2019, 08:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: drogulus on August 13, 2019, 02:26:16 PM
     One of the truly awful things about "heaven" (along with everything else) is that there is no one to argue with.

I am not convinced by this assertion.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

drogulus

People are rarely killed by arguments. Arguments are what discussions are about. How can you discuss if you don't know what argument is being offered?

Oh, there's no argument, people are just chatting......in a supportive environment maybe?

Quote from: Madiel on August 13, 2019, 07:25:36 PM
I am not convinced by this assertion.

I'm way more not convinced than you are.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Herman

I understand what's bugging 71dB, but it's just a matter of how you look at differences of opinion.

Certainly where it's about taste in music, it doesn't really matter if someone else doesn't share your preference. He or she is a different person so it makes sense he or she likes something else.

The effort to persuade other people of one's pov is what causes a lot of aggravation. However, one can just say: "interesting you like this or that, chacun son gout.

Madiel

Drogulus, the Bible has several examples of people arguing with God and God seeming to cope with this just fine.

So I'm not convinced there'll be no arguing in heaven. It will just be pleasant and respectful and not lead to claims that someone is going to hell for their views.

Churches that think everyone must think and believe EXACTLY the same thing on absolutely everything are generally not the healthiest churches.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: Herman on August 14, 2019, 12:17:26 AM
I understand what's bugging 71dB, but it's just a matter of how you look at differences of opinion.

Debating online seems to deteriote my happiness and well-being plus nobody pays me for doing it so why do it? Just because internet makes it technically possible doesn't mean I should do it. It just took this long to see what I do to myself. Sure, every now and then there's positive experiences online, but the toxic negativity is just overhelming.

Everything is powerplay. Doesn't really matter if you are right or wrong. Power matters. Trump is in power so wind causes cancer. 99.9 % of scientists don't matter. They are not in power. The opinions of people in Hong Kong don't matter because they are not in power (meaning there is no real democracy). China is in power and it is a matter of time when they crush the people of Hong Kong. It's not feelings over facts or facts over feelings. It's (political and financial) power over both feelings AND facts.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Quote from: Madiel on August 14, 2019, 12:42:08 AM
Drogulus, the Bible has several examples of people arguing with God and God seeming to cope with this just fine.

Quiet, I'm having an argument with Godzilla in a Toho film.

OK, we're done.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Madiel

Quote from: drogulus on August 14, 2019, 04:43:38 AM
     Quiet, I'm having an argument with Godzilla in a Toho film.

You're the one who mentioned "heaven". You don't have to believe in it to have a discussion about what the Bible actually says (which is at times in marked contrast to what some Christians think it says), anymore than you have to think Harry Potter is a documentary to read the text.

drogulus

Quote from: Madiel on August 14, 2019, 04:46:18 AM
You're the one who mentioned "heaven". You don't have to believe in it to have a discussion about what the Bible actually says (which is at times in marked contrast to what some Christians think it says), anymore than you have to think Harry Potter is a documentary to read the text.

That's good to know, since I don't do "believe in". As far as what books say about the concept, they record beliefs that have passed down through time, they aren't evidence for the truth of any of them.

When an argument is bolstered by an equally suspect authority nothing much is accomplished. That's what "believe in" is for. When all else fails, there's that.

Monty Python had a sketch about theology, a block of flats that started shaking when people didn't believe in it.

steve ridgway

Quote from: 71 dB on August 14, 2019, 01:58:08 AM
Debating online seems to deteriote my happiness and well-being plus nobody pays me for doing it so why do it? Just because internet makes it technically possible doesn't mean I should do it. It just took this long to see what I do to myself. Sure, every now and then there's positive experiences online, but the toxic negativity is just overhelming.

Everything is powerplay. Doesn't really matter if you are right or wrong. Power matters. Trump is in power so wind causes cancer. 99.9 % of scientists don't matter. They are not in power. The opinions of people in Hong Kong don't matter because they are not in power (meaning there is no real democracy). China is in power and it is a matter of time when they crush the people of Hong Kong. It's not feelings over facts or facts over feelings. It's (political and financial) power over both feelings AND facts.

Yes I am starting to feel more detached about the conflicts in the outside world and more interested in maintaining peace and order in my own mind and sphere of influence. The whole of human history could be summed up as people fought each other to get stuff and ideas are some of the weapons.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on August 14, 2019, 01:58:08 AM
True. Power decides everything.
Everything, truth, meaning, justice is all underneath power.

So much that I feel like the concept of personal responsibility might be way overemphasized. I mean, it exists, but 90% of the stuff that happens to people is outside their control.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Madiel

Quote from: drogulus on August 14, 2019, 06:22:47 AM

That's good to know, since I don't do "believe in". As far as what books say about the concept, they record beliefs that have passed down through time, they aren't evidence for the truth of any of them.

When an argument is bolstered by an equally suspect authority nothing much is accomplished. That's what "believe in" is for. When all else fails, there's that.

Monty Python had a sketch about theology, a block of flats that started shaking when people didn't believe in it.

Lol. So what was your source for making a claim about "heaven" in the first place? Clearly you had one.

Never mind. Because all this conversation is now doing is illustrating what I find to be one of the classic problems of arguing on the internet, and one of the most profoundly irritating. So let's just leave it as the model "answer" for the thread.

drogulus

We disagree about the point of argument, which takes me back to my original position that it's useful and essential to intellectual life, as well as fun for all ages, except babies who haven't yet learned how.

Madiel

You don't know that we disagree about the point of argument. We haven't discussed the point of argument.

All that we've discussed is your assertion that "heaven" doesn't have argument, which is fruitless because I can't get past the first step of establishing where your conception of "heaven" even comes from. For all I know it's purely an invention of your own mind and doesn't correspond with anyone else's conception of "heaven" at all.

Making the whole discussion about as effective as me deciding for some reason known only to me that heaven forbids the consumption of apricots, and then complaining that heaven is going to be missing my favourite fruit.

And that's one of the classic problems of arguing on the internet that I find so exasperating: an argument only works if you all start from the same basic premises, and I find that attempting to engage people on the basis of their own apparent premises rarely works because then they just spiral off anywhere they feel like. As you are doing. I can't debate "heaven" with you because I can't tell whether you just made "heaven" up entirely on your own or whether you recognise that there are established religions that have conceptions of heaven, regardless of whether you agree with those religions, that we can start from.

You are your own arbiter of truth, rendering argument utterly impossible.

Madiel

Might I add, it does rather seem you think that the discussion is about whether heaven actually exists, when I haven't made any statement about that.

Nothing I've said depends on that any more than your original statement critiquing heaven depends on that. All it depends on is CONCEPTIONS of heaven existing. And me trying to figure out whether some external source told you in some way that heaven doesn't have argument (in which case I can assess the source and your use of it), or whether you just made up your own conception of heaven that you probably don't believe in for the sole purpose of critiquing it, which just makes your original remark masturbatory.

drogulus

You can ride horses, you can have a concept of a horse, but you can't ride a horse concept.

Quote from: Madiel on August 14, 2019, 02:30:44 PM
I can't debate "heaven" with you because I can't tell whether you just made "heaven" up entirely on your own or whether you recognise that there are established religions that have conceptions of heaven, regardless of whether you agree with those religions, that we can start from.

I made it up just like everyone else did, but not very differently. There's no beer, for example. But my point about the value of argument was to use an imaginary realm where people don't argue. Since it's not a place but a "concept horse" it doesn't have to exactly conform to a particular tradition, the one with apricots any any other. The generic version will do. It's not like I have to book a flight or anything.

Madiel

So you made a point about argument by using a conception of heaven that is fundamentally unarguable because you yourself created it and get to decide what it looks like.

Yeah. Good one.

As I said a couple of posts ago, I think what you've demonstrated is one of the fundamental problems with arguing on the internet. Without common external reference points it's useless. Your conception of heaven is just... yours.

EDIT: And you invented a heaven you don't like so you could tell us what was wrong with it. Seems slightly masochistic. 

drogulus

Quote from: Madiel on August 14, 2019, 03:51:01 PM
So you made a point about argument by using a conception of heaven that is fundamentally unarguable because you yourself created it and get to decide what it looks like.

Yeah. Good one.

Thanks, but I'm not taking special credit for using the bare-bones generic "no x in heaven" for all kinds of stuff people won't do there.

JBS

I might point out that at least one version of heaven, the traditional Jewish one, assumes friendly debate and argument (on topics of traditional Jewish law and lore) is an essential part of the heavenly lifestyle.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

drogulus

Quote from: JBS on August 14, 2019, 05:42:26 PM
I might point out that at least one version of heaven, the traditional Jewish one, assumes friendly debate and argument (on topics of traditional Jewish law and lore) is an essential part of the heavenly lifestyle.

Jews are awesome! I read they got the 7 heavens idea from the Babylonians, and the Greeks introduced the idea of an immortal soul. These days Jews don't try to ride concept horses like that. It's the history of their religion. Preserving that is an essential part of preserving themselves.

JBS

Quote from: drogulus on August 14, 2019, 06:58:30 PM
     Jews are awesome! I read they got the 7 heavens idea from the Babylonians, and the Greeks introduced the idea of an immortal soul. These days Jews don't try to ride concept horses like that. It's the history of their religion. Preserving that is an essential part of preserving themselves.

Too much credit for the Greeks. The idea of a soul surviving physical death is already found (although not necessarily the idea of heaven as a reward) in various early strata of the Bible, as well as Egyptian and Persian religion. If anything, the Greeks got it from Egypt and Persia.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk