Alfred Newman

Started by Andy D., August 06, 2019, 01:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy D.

The progenitor of  perhaps the greatest familial legacy in score history, Alfred Newman was nominated 44 times on his way to 9 Academy Awards. He was far more than "just a composer", having everything to do with anything musical at 20th century fox (including penning the immortal opening fanfare).

Alfred is my favorite film score composer, followed closely only by Jerry Goldsmith. I "discovered" him through the (kind of tacky) movie "The Robe" and fell very much in love.

My favorites by him:

Greatest Story Ever Told, David and Bathsheba, The Robe, Keys of the Kingdom, Song of Bernadette, Captain from Castile (which is still hugely influential in the action genre today), How the West was Won.

How the West was Won is kind of a funny story; I never cared a whole lot for most Westerns, and foolishly dismissed the music as too often corny and intentionally lowbrow. After How the West Was Won I completely changed my mind (the fact that there are passages of what could easily pass for great Concert music helped...I still skip the corniest parts lol). After that I fell in love with greats like Rio Conchos, 100 Rifles, The Alamo.

relm1

Quote from: Andy D. on August 06, 2019, 01:14:33 AM
The progenitor of  perhaps the greatest familial legacy in score history, Alfred Newman was nominated 44 times on his way to 9 Academy Awards. He was far more than "just a composer", having everything to do with anything musical at 20th century fox (including penning the immortal opening fanfare).

Alfred is my favorite film score composer, followed closely only by Jerry Goldsmith. I "discovered" him through the (kind of tacky) movie "The Robe" and fell very much in love.

My favorites by him:

Greatest Story Ever Told, David and Bathsheba, The Robe, Keys of the Kingdom, Song of Bernadette, Captain from Castile (which is still hugely influential in the action genre today), How the West was Won.

How the West was Won is kind of a funny story; I never cared a whole lot for most Westerns, and foolishly dismissed the music as too often corny and intentionally lowbrow. After How the West Was Won I completely changed my mind (the fact that there are passages of what could easily pass for great Concert music helped...I still skip the corniest parts lol). After that I fell in love with greats like Rio Conchos, 100 Rifles, The Alamo.

A very fine family.  I've met David Newman (son) and Randy Newman (nephew) and worked with Fred (son) in which I absolutely delighted in hearing what it was like growing up in his household where in the 1960's, as a teen, he recalled Igor Stravinsky showing up for dinner one night and a pre-fame young man named John Williams showing up sometimes too.  Also nice family legacy is the Williams family.  Did you know in the original West Side Story soundtrack (1962), it featured John Williams Sr (drumkit), Jerry Williams (son/drummer), and John Williams (piano)?

Alek Hidell

Quote from: relm1 on August 06, 2019, 06:16:23 AM
A very fine family.  I've met David Newman (son) and Randy Newman (nephew) and worked with Fred (son) in which I absolutely deleted in hearing what it was like growing up in his household where in the 1960's, as a teen, he recalled Igor Stravinsky showing up for dinner one night and a pre-fame young man named John Williams showing up sometimes too.  Also nice family legacy is the Williams family.  Did you know in the original West Side Story soundtrack (1962), it featured John Williams Sr (drumkit), Jerry Williams (son/drummer), and John Williams (piano)?

Well, now that is très cool, relm1! I saw the thread title and, after unavoidably thinking first of the Mad magazine mascot, thought, "Hey, that's Randy Newman's uncle!" Very nice that you got to meet Randy and the others. :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

relm1

Quote from: Alek Hidell on August 09, 2019, 07:52:57 PM
Well, now that is très cool, relm1! I saw the thread title and, after unavoidably thinking first of the Mad magazine mascot, thought, "Hey, that's Randy Newman's uncle!" Very nice that you got to meet Randy and the others. :)

Yep!  Randy Newman gave me my diploma!  I have a photo of me with him somewhere.   :)

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on August 10, 2019, 06:28:31 AM
Yep!  Randy Newman gave me my diploma!  I have a photo of me with him somewhere.   :)

How nice! Isn't Thomas Newman who composed (I think) the fine soundtracks for American Beauty and the Shawshank Redemption a relative?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on August 10, 2019, 07:13:07 AM
How nice! Isn't Thomas Newman who composed (I think) the fine soundtracks for American Beauty and the Shawshank Redemption a relative?

Yes!  David and Thomas (and Fred) are brothers.  Their sister (Maria) is a classical composer.  Fun fact, David Newman is also a concert violinist as well as conductor and was in the orchestra that played on Jerry Goldsmith's great Star Trek The Motion Picture score in 1979.  David told me the sessions were some of the most stressful of his life.  Very turbulent experience.  Meanwhile, his uncle Lionel Newman was conducting Jerry Goldsmith's score to Alien.  A very lovely and talented family! 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on August 10, 2019, 03:45:51 PM
Yes!  David and Thomas (and Fred) are brothers.  Their sister (Maria) is a classical composer.  Fun fact, David Newman is also a concert violinist as well as conductor and was in the orchestra that played on Jerry Goldsmith's great Star Trek The Motion Picture score in 1979.  David told me the sessions were some of the most stressful of his life.  Very turbulent experience.  Meanwhile, his uncle Lionel Newman was conducting Jerry Goldsmith's score to Alien.  A very lovely and talented family!
Goodness! What a family. Thanks Karim.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).