vaughan williams

Started by david johnson, April 14, 2007, 03:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Maestro267 (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

david johnson

comrades:

please recommend a box-set to me.

thanx
dj

Harry

I would look carefully at the Haitink box on EMI, got rave reviews, and many posters here have it.
Om a personal level I would recommend the Andre Previn recordings from the seventies, absolutely fresh and eager playing, and good sound too.
He never did it better. ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: david johnson on April 14, 2007, 03:29:34 AM
comrades:

please recommend a box-set to me.

thanx
dj

Boult (Decca, mono) and Handley are going to receive the most votes, I predict. Me...I'm a fan of Boult EMI and Haitink. I have nothing against Handley (or Previn or Slatkin, for that matter, save for a few performances that don't convince me; Haitink and Boult are more consistent to my ears). I grew up with the later Boult recordings and for me that's the way RVW should sound. Haitink impresses because it's a non-British way of looking at the symphonies; less provincial, more universal. Gorgeous sound quality, too, and the LPO performs like the greatest orchestra in the world.

Just noticed JPC has Andrew Davis's 6-CD set for 19.99! There are some less than great performances but some outstanding ones too in his cycle. I may buy it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lethevich

I agree that both Boults, Haitink and Handley sets are no-brainers - you can buy any and it's unlikely that you will be disappointed. Previn is very fine too. As a bonus every one of these sets are disgustingly cheap as well, so you could perhaps go for the more historic Boult/mono and compliment it with a more recent cycle.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

vandermolen

Both Boult sets are excellent.  The Decca box has the best performances but the recordings from the 1950s with VW in the studio for all but No 9 (he died a few hours before the recording), are obviously fifty years old now.  The EMI set was seen as a bit of a disappointment compared to the earlier recordings but some prefer it and I don't think you will be disappointed (espec. good versions of No 2,4,7 and 9). Remember that you need the Hickox version of A London Symphony (Chandos) as it is the only one that features the original 1913 version.  VW cut out 20 minutes of music, including a most beautiful section just before the end.  Whatever the 1936 version gained in tightened structure, it lost in atmospheric poetry.

I also like the sets by Haitink (best value), Thomson (underrated, great Nos 4,6, which is difficult to get right and No 9).  Previn is very  good but a bit disappointing in nos 4 and 6 (but best ever Nos 3 and 8 and wonderful 1936 version of "A London Symphony" ).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

david johnson

Grazioso

Quote from: Harry on April 14, 2007, 03:34:46 AM
I would look carefully at the Haitink box on EMI, got rave reviews, and many posters here have it.
Om a personal level I would recommend the Andre Previn recordings from the seventies, absolutely fresh and eager playing, and good sound too.
He never did it better. ;D

I just started listening through the Previn set and have to offer one caveat: the sound can be a bit on the trebly, shrill side.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Harry

Quote from: Grazioso on April 15, 2007, 04:16:05 AM
I just started listening through the Previn set and have to offer one caveat: the sound can be a bit on the trebly, shrill side.

You are right, but it is not a constant factor, and not with every Symphony from the set. :)

Robert

Quote from: Harry on April 15, 2007, 10:11:36 AM
You are right, but it is not a constant factor, and not with every Symphony from the set. :)

NOt enough to bother me.....

Harry

Quote from: Robert on April 15, 2007, 01:16:04 PM
NOt enough to bother me.....

Great Robert you have them too, thought I was the only one. ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Harry on April 15, 2007, 01:20:49 PM
Great Robert you have them too, thought I was the only one. ;D

I have Previn's set too, Harry. As I said above, I've got nothing against it (besides the symphonies the Captain noted as being outstanding, Previn's Fifth could be considered the best version of this symphony). The only reason I rate Previn below Boult EMI, Haitink and Handley is because the sound isn't as good.

Sarge

Harry

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 16, 2007, 04:26:39 AM
I have Previn's set too, Harry. As I said above, I've got nothing against it (besides the symphonies the Captain noted as being outstanding, Previn's Fifth could be considered the best version of this symphony). The only reason I rate Previn below Boult EMI, Haitink and Handley is because the sound isn't as good.

Sarge

Well yes the sound question is a fact but as with Robert I am not much bothered by it.
The Haitink sound on EMI is almost state of the art though.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2007, 04:42:21 AM
Well yes the sound question is a fact but as with Robert I am not much bothered by it.

You're right, Harry. I would never discourage anyone from acquiring the Previn set because of the sound. It's not bad at all, just not the best.

Sarge

Harry Collier

Another vote for the under-estimated Haitink set. I find it sane, sound, well played and well recorded. You just settle down and listen to Ralph Vaughan Williams' music.

Harry

Quote from: Harry Collier on April 16, 2007, 07:19:53 AM
Another vote for the under-estimated Haitink set. I find it sane, sound, well played and well recorded. You just settle down and listen to Ralph Vaughan Williams' music.

O, I think we all agree with you! :)

tjguitar

I only have the Handley and I am quite happy with it. I only got it recently, and was surprised (and pleased) to see that EMI's box set actually consisted of a slip case packed with individual jewel cases for each disc.  Fun times. Also includes a 'bonus' disc of sorts, in that it doesn't have a symphony, with Job, among other works.  I'm not the biggest RVW buff, but I'm pleased with it. Also recommend the Film Music CD w/ Gamba and the BBC Phil which has the score from Scott of the Antarctic which Sinfonia Antarctica was based on....

anasazi

Did someone else suggest Bryden Thomson? Although I don't have the Chandos box set, it was because I owned all of the individuals entries.  These are very fine recordings of VW and worth investigating.  I have not heard the Haitink set, so no comment there, but the older sets:  Previn and RCA released the first ever complete set of symphonies (on LP).  That finally got EMI motivated.  I like the Previn/RCA/LSO set, but there are some anomolies on the CDs that were not present on the vinyl.  Not in the performances, but in the mastering.  Preven actually outdid his original recording of the VW 5th symphony when he recorded it again with the RPO for Telarc in the 1980's.  That is still my favorite recording of this work.

stingo

Previn did go on to record VW5 for Telarc with the LSO I think it was. Similar interpretation with improved sonics.