Author Topic: Cato's Grammar Grumble  (Read 425919 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Cato's Grammar Grumble
« Reply #4600 on: September 01, 2019, 02:51:32 AM »
American education has become a 20 year Milgram experiment.

Dang! You're right.

Among my colleagues there is not much obedience about this issue!   :D    Many - if not all - are planning to "protest" by doing other things at the convention (correcting papers, reading books, etc.).  I am still debating about attending: I could stay home and cut the grass, or do something really important, like breathing.   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4601 on: September 08, 2019, 04:23:20 AM »
Concerning the fake "educational consultant" i.e. huckster mentioned below: at the convention he worked the crowd like Elmer Gantry, thereby proving our (my and those of my colleagues) suspicions about him.  It also turned out that he wants to sell his "consulting" forms to the diocese, of course.   ;)   No word yet on precisely how stupid the bureaucrats are!

I saw a report about the misuse of "milk" for "plant-based beverages," e.g. we have today "Oat Milk," "Almond Milk," "Soy Milk," etc.  Government bureaucrats saw no reason (for once!) to interfere, because they thought nobody would really think that a nut has milk.  Dairy farmers, however, have surveys showing that many people do think that real cow's milk is involved in e.g. almond "milk."  The farmers believe the term "milk" should be reserved only for moo juice.   0:)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:38:27 AM by Cato »

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #4602 on: September 08, 2019, 06:04:52 AM »
Concerning the fake "educational consultant" i.e. huckster mentioned below: at the convention he worked the crowd like Elmer Gantry, thereby proving our (my and those of my colleagues) suspicions about him.  It also turned out that he wants to sell his "consulting" forms to the diocese, of course.   ;)   No word yet on precisely how stupid the bureaucrats are!

I saw a report about the misuse of "milk" for "plant-based beverages," e.g. we have today "Oat Milk," "Almond Milk," "Soy Milk," etc.  Government bureaucrats saw no reason (for once!) to interfere, because they thought nobody would really think that a nut has milk.  Dairy farmers, however, have surveys showing that many people do think that real cow's milk is involved in e.g. almond "milk."  The farmers believe the term "milk" should be reserved only for moo juice.   0:)

Do they object to “prairie oysters” as misleading labeling?
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #4603 on: September 08, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »

Does this proposed ban extend to mothers who breastfeed their babies?

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4604 on: September 09, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »
Second time I have tried this!

Does this proposed ban extend to mothers who breastfeed their babies?

Heh-Heh!   ;)

I have heard no objections about the appropriation by this product of the word "milk."   ;)

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #4605 on: September 10, 2019, 04:43:28 AM »
The site's so slow I not even going to try to post a picture, but what about those Tiger's Milk bars, which do list "milk" in their ingredients, but I'm guessing it's not actually from tigers. While we're on the subject, shouldn't food labels be required to specify exactly which species of animal's milk they contain?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4606 on: September 12, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »
The site's so slow I not even going to try to post a picture, but what about those Tiger's Milk bars, which do list "milk" in their ingredients, but I'm guessing it's not actually from tigers. While we're on the subject, shouldn't food labels be required to specify exactly which species of animal's milk they contain?

I would think so: supposedly goat's milk is easier to digest for some people, and so it is labeled as such.  Some of the Luddites who make their own soap will proudly tout "Goat's Milk Soap" on their products.

A person was complaining about the use of acronyms as words, specifically "yolo."

I may have written here before about how somebody asked me about "the Latin word yolo."  Apparently some wise guy on the Internet has a hoax about "yolo, yolare, yolavi" being a Latin verb (it isn't) and meaning "to live only once."

You Only Live Once.

The context of the complaint seemed to be a conversation about sky-diving, where the answer as to why one would do such a thing was a shrug with the comment "yolo."

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4607 on: September 15, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »
For your consideration...a headline from today's local newspaper:

"After Dorian, Bahamas Avoid Newest Storm"   ;)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #4608 on: September 15, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
For your consideration...a headline from today's local newspaper:

"After Dorian, Bahamas Avoid Newest Storm"   ;)
You can hardly blame the Bahamas but what do they actually do, cross the street?
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.