International Strange Music Day (August 24)

Started by bhodges, August 24, 2019, 09:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

August 24 is International Strange Music Day, created in 1998 by composer Patrick Grant. The purpose is to encourage listening to unfamiliar works, or those outside of your comfort zone.

I am celebrating with Cathy Berberian singing her 1966 composition, Stripsody. (OK, granted, for some, this is not that strange. ;D) Here it is, with the score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPbyyZwh4s

--Bruce

Brian

Wish I had known yesterday! I did accidentally celebrate by going to a concert from New Orleans' wonderful Rebirth Brass Band, and their opening act was a very strange band fronted by the kind of guy Hugh Grant used to portray in the 90s, who sang songs like "Don't Call Me, I'll Call You" and an unintentionally hilarious paean to world peace with lyrics like "All the changes in the world today / There has to be a better way."  ???

schnittkease

Florestan

Quote from: Brewski on August 24, 2019, 09:56:34 AM
August 24 is International Strange Music Day, created in 1998 by composer Patrick Grant. The purpose is to encourage listening to unfamiliar works, or those outside of your comfort zone.

I am celebrating with Cathy Berberian singing her 1966 composition, Stripsody. (OK, granted, for some, this is not that strange. ;D) Here it is, with the score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPbyyZwh4s

--Bruce

I should have thought that for you unfamiliar and outside your comfort zone would be, say, Boccherini or Henri Herz rather than anything post-WWII.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2019, 11:38:31 AM
I should have thought that for you unfamiliar and outside your comfort zone would be, say, Boccherini or Henri Herz rather than anything post-WWII.  :laugh:

Everyone likes Boccherini.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on August 25, 2019, 08:45:34 AM
Wish I had known yesterday! I did accidentally celebrate by going to a concert from New Orleans' wonderful Rebirth Brass Band, and their opening act was a very strange band fronted by the kind of guy Hugh Grant used to portray in the 90s, who sang songs like "Don't Call Me, I'll Call You" and an unintentionally hilarious paean to world peace with lyrics like "All the changes in the world today / There has to be a better way."  ???

Love Rebirth! Have seen them in New Orleans and have a number of their recordings.

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: Florestan on August 25, 2019, 11:38:31 AM

Well, that would be an eminently logical assumption!   ;D

(Now scurrying to bone up on Boccherini.)

--Bruce