Paul Badura-Skoda: 6 October 1927 - 25 September 2019

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 18, 2019, 05:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on September 28, 2019, 12:45:09 PM
Should I take that as an oblique agreement?

No, you can take it as I am not going to argue with you, but if I was, I would be laughing at you the entire time. But no, we are friends... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vers la flamme

Rest in peace to the great Paul Badura-Skoda. Unfortunately, I know his name more than any of his music. What would be a good place to start? I know he has recorded the complete Schubert sonatas several times, including completions of unfinished sonatas that he assembled himself. I'll have to sample these different cycles and see if any are worthy. I do not have any complete Schubert sonata cycle.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 28, 2019, 04:44:49 PM
. What would be a good place to start?

The Astrée Mozart. Chopin etudes.

I'm starting to think that his fortepiano recordings are the core part of the legacy. The modern piano recordings are fine  but it's not there that he has something special to say.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on September 28, 2019, 10:40:24 PM
The Astrée Mozart. Chopin etudes.

I'm starting to think that his fortepiano recordings are the core part of the legacy. The modern piano recordings are fine  but it's not there that he has something special to say.

Thanks, well put. Also agree about the Mozart. I have the Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert sets. All great, but the Mozart is especially superior.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)