Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2660580 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Shchedrin, Khachaturian, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Dvořák, Martinů, Respighi, Malipiero, Walton, Copland, Barber, Villa-Lobos
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #26480 on: July 06, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »
An excellent cycle, but I'm glad I got to get a copy of the prior incarnation before it inevitably goes out of print to make room for this new, bare-bones one. But that new set does have the advantage of Das Lied von der Erde over the one I have.

By the way... BBC Symphony Orchestra? Is that a misprint? I'm not aware of any Bernstein/BBC Mahler on Sony.

I went with this reissue because my dad already owns the one you’re talking about. I own this older one as well:

I also own Bernstein’s DG Mahler set, which is one of those sets I’d take to the desert island with me:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:57:31 PM by Mirror Image »
“Music is music whether it is for the stage, rostrum or cinema .” - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #26481 on: July 06, 2020, 05:05:07 PM »
I also own Bernstein’s DG Mahler set, which is one of those sets I’d take to the desert island with me:

Mahler looks suspicious of Bernstein there...it's been a while since I've heard any of the Bernstein DG Mahler set.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Shchedrin, Khachaturian, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Dvořák, Martinů, Respighi, Malipiero, Walton, Copland, Barber, Villa-Lobos
« Reply #26482 on: July 06, 2020, 05:15:05 PM »
Mahler looks suspicious of Bernstein there...it's been a while since I've heard any of the Bernstein DG Mahler set.

Hah..well if you look close enough, you’ll see that Mahler isn’t even looking at Bernstein. I remember reading some your criticism of Bernstein’s Mahler, but I don’t really care what anyone says about these recordings. He has been the only conductor that made me understand this music on a deeper emotional level and for that I’m eternally grateful.
“Music is music whether it is for the stage, rostrum or cinema .” - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #26483 on: July 06, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »
Hah..well if you look close enough, you’ll see that Mahler isn’t even looking at Bernstein. I remember reading some your criticism of Bernstein’s Mahler, but I don’t really care what anyone says about these recordings. He has been the only conductor that made me understand this music on a deeper emotional level and for that I’m eternally grateful.

I don't dislike Bernstein's Mahler recordings the way I do those of certain other Mahler conductors, and I appreciate his role in the US Mahler revival of the 60s and 70s. I remember really loving that DG Vienna Sixth when I listened to it a lot; I just haven't heard it in a while.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #26484 on: July 06, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »
I don't dislike Bernstein's Mahler recordings the way I do those of certain other Mahler conductors, and I appreciate his role in the US Mahler revival of the 60s and 70s. I remember really loving that DG Vienna Sixth when I listened to it a lot; I just haven't heard it in a while.

Well, that’s very good to read, Mahlerian. Who are some Mahler conductors you don’t particular care for?

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #26485 on: July 06, 2020, 11:59:27 PM »
Mravinsky DG stereo is a unique identification. It was re-issued as a twofer. It has a blue-green cover. The somewhat older mono recordings have the 4th cond. by Sanderling. It has columns on the cover. The LPs of the former apparently came in a bunch of different covers.

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #26486 on: Today at 02:07:25 AM »
Mravinsky DG stereo is a unique identification. It was re-issued as a twofer. It has a blue-green cover. The somewhat older mono recordings have the 4th cond. by Sanderling. It has columns on the cover. The LPs of the former apparently came in a bunch of different covers.

Both great sets.

Today: 'Babi Yar'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #26487 on: Today at 03:01:16 AM »
A small order as my purchasing is dwindling and I try to focus on things I don't own and represents things I have a particular interest in:

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26488 on: Today at 03:56:10 AM »
Frank Corcoran: Mad Sweeney's Shadow

A purchase is a rare thing for me these days. I am trying hard to cull my collection somewhat. This one is to fill a gap in my modern Irish collection.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #26489 on: Today at 05:27:05 AM »
Well, that’s very good to read, Mahlerian. Who are some Mahler conductors you don’t particular care for?

I don't think very highly of Rattle or Ozawa in Mahler, but my real bugbear, as people here know, is Karajan.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #26490 on: Today at 07:50:54 AM »
I don't think very highly of Rattle or Ozawa in Mahler, but my real bugbear, as people here know, is Karajan.

I just got Ozawa's Mahler 2 with the Saito Kinen Orchestra.  It's very good.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #26491 on: Today at 08:17:13 AM »
I just got Ozawa's Mahler 2 with the Saito Kinen Orchestra.  It's very good.

He may have improved a lot over his early BSO recordings, then. I'd be happy to change my mind. I saw Ozawa conduct a program of Berlioz and Messiaen about 15 years ago that I enjoyed a lot.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #26492 on: Today at 03:16:21 PM »
Just bought: