What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

Adding to the flood, another stream on March 7. I don't know the first two works at all.

NDR Radiophilharmonie
Stanislav Kochanovsky, conductor
Frank Peter Zimmermann, violin

Tcherepnin: "La Princesse Lointaine" op. 4, Prelude to the play by Edmond Rostand
Respighi: Concerto Gregoriano for violin and orchestra
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances op. 45

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

ultralinear

Tonight Simon Rattle conducts the LSO in the first of two performances of Shostakovich Symphony No.4

brewski

Quote from: ultralinear on February 28, 2024, 04:32:11 AMTonight Simon Rattle conducts the LSO in the first of two performances of Shostakovich Symphony No.4

Such an incredible piece. I heard it live with Philadelphia a few weeks ago, and you may have seen above that Frankfurt is doing it on Friday.

Have a great time, and feel free to report back.

-Bruce

ultralinear

Quote from: brewski on February 28, 2024, 05:14:22 AMSuch an incredible piece. I heard it live with Philadelphia a few weeks ago, and you may have seen above that Frankfurt is doing it on Friday.

Have a great time, and feel free to report back.

-Bruce

There's no livestream that I can find, however the reminder email from the LSO contains a warning that cameras will be operating during the performance, and that if one has a problem with that then to let them know in advance.**  So quite possibly it will appear at some point in some form in some medium or other.

** What they would do about it, I really don't know - issue you with a Simon Rattle facemask, perhaps? ;D

brewski

Quote from: ultralinear on February 28, 2024, 05:53:57 AM** What they would do about it, I really don't know - issue you with a Simon Rattle facemask, perhaps? ;D

Haha, well, Halloween isn't that far away.  ;D

(Thanks for that info, though, which means that they likely recorded it.)

-Bruce

ultralinear

Quote from: brewski on February 28, 2024, 10:12:03 AM(Thanks for that info, though, which means that they likely recorded it.)

There were a lot of microphones visible, and not in the usual BBC layout, so I presume this was an in-house production - I hope, for release on LSO Live - or perhaps (also) some concert streaming service.  I will keep an eye out. :)

brewski

Tonight, a last-minute ticket to the Hagen Quartet:

Haydn: Quartet in C Major, Op. 76, No. 3, Emperor
Bartók: Quartet No. 2
Beethoven: Quartet in A Minor, Op. 132

-Bruce

Irons

A good celebration day lined up for next week - A lunchtime concert at Wigmore Hall with Alisa Weilerstein (cello) and Inon Barnatan (piano) performing the Britten and Brahms 2 cello sonatas. Followed by a visit to the Marquis pub in Covent Garden where vinyl records of 60's soul music are played including requests. Finished off with a Chinese meal in Soho. :P
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

brewski

Quote from: brewski on March 01, 2024, 06:13:51 AMTonight, a last-minute ticket to the Hagen Quartet:

Haydn: Quartet in C Major, Op. 76, No. 3, Emperor
Bartók: Quartet No. 2
Beethoven: Quartet in A Minor, Op. 132

-Bruce

This was excellent, some minor intonation issues aside (especially in the Haydn). But my friend and I agreed that sometimes "digging in" to the music can have that as a casualty. In any case, a heavy-duty program, which later caused some hilarious references to the idea that "classical music is so relaxing!" ;D

The Bartók was the high point, though the slow movement of the Beethoven was a close second.

So many great string quartets running around—meaning, ensembles. I don't think I'd ever heard the Hagen players live. The audience was as rapt as one could want, with very little coughing or other extraneous noise.

-Bruce

brewski

Quote from: brewski on February 26, 2024, 08:44:47 PMOn Friday, March 1, at 2:00 pm (EST), two competing livestreams! Both are likely to be available later, so a last-minute decision may be in the cards.

NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchestra
Manfred Honeck, conductor
Samy Moussa: Elysium
Bruckner: Symphony No. 9

Of the two competing livestreams yesterday from Frankfurt and Hamburg, the latter won, only because I hadn't heard the Bruckner 9 in awhile, and the Samy Moussa piece (Elysium) made an excellent companion for it. Plus, I am really falling in love with the Hamburg hall, which is now on my "to visit" list. At about 4:20 in the video above (still available), the cameras move from the ensemble to shots of the interior and exterior of the hall, which is just gorgeous, especially at sunset.

-Bruce

NorthNYMark

I just returned home from Montreal, where I was able to attend Thursday's performance of Bruckner's Fourth by the Montreal Symphony under conductor Rafael Payare. It was my first time seeeing them since Payare took over from Kent Nagano, and I was very impressed: Payare is very animated and charismatic, and (more importantly) seemed to inspire a high level of both precision and intensity from the orchestra. I've never found the Fourth to be one of Bruckner's more interesting symphonies, but I was absolutely riveted during the entire performance--it actually altered my sense of the work. I've noticed that Montreal audiences tend to give standing ovations fairly regularly, but this time it really felt spontaneous and well-deserved.

The program started with a new (to me) work, "In the Half-Light," by composer Zosha di Castri (who was present for the performance), and sung by guest artist Barbara Hannigan, who was amazing. The work itself was interesting, involving Hannigan singing very minimal texts (in English) that seemed to involve an existential encounter between two people in vaguely apocalyptic conditions, the orchestra providing surges of (mostly) menacing and/or unsettling sounds and textures. While the work (particularly the text) didn't connect with me much on an emotional level, I very much enjoyed the experience, and was thinking that it likely would turn out to be the most memorable part of the evening. That wasn't to be the case, however.

I'm really excited now about returning this coming Thursday for Payare's performance of Shostakovich's Eighth symphony (paired somewhat puzzlingly with Beethoven's First). I now especially regret having had to miss an earlier performance (of Mahler's Seventh) for which I had tickets--I imagine he would have done a fantastic job with that work, one of my favorites.

brewski

Quote from: NorthNYMark on March 02, 2024, 07:46:39 AMI just returned home from Montreal, where I was able to attend Thursday's performance of Bruckner's Fourth by the Montreal Symphony under conductor Rafael Payare. It was my first time seeeing them since Payare took over from Kent Nagano, and I was very impressed: Payare is very animated and charismatic, and (more importantly) seemed to inspire a high level of both precision and intensity from the orchestra. I've never found the Fourth to be one of Bruckner's more interesting symphonies, but I was absolutely riveted during the entire performance--it actually altered my sense of the work. I've noticed that Montreal audiences tend to give standing ovations fairly regularly, but this time it really felt spontaneous and well-deserved.

The program started with a new (to me) work, "In the Half-Light," by composer Zosha di Castri (who was present for the performance), and sung by guest artist Barbara Hannigan, who was amazing. The work itself was interesting, involving Hannigan singing very minimal texts (in English) that seemed to involve an existential encounter between two people in vaguely apocalyptic conditions, the orchestra providing surges of (mostly) menacing and/or unsettling sounds and textures. While the work (particularly the text) didn't connect with me much on an emotional level, I very much enjoyed the experience, and was thinking that it likely would turn out to be the most memorable part of the evening. That wasn't to be the case, however.

I'm really excited now about returning this coming Thursday for Payare's performance of Shostakovich's Eighth symphony (paired somewhat puzzlingly with Beethoven's First). I now especially regret having had to miss an earlier performance (of Mahler's Seventh) for which I had tickets--I imagine he would have done a fantastic job with that work, one of my favorites.

Thanks for this report. I have heard Payare once, last December with Philadelphia, in a new piano concerto by López Bellido and Mahler 1, both excellent. And though it's not the only criterion, the orchestra seemed connected to him, and you can usually tell if the chemistry isn't working.

Would love to have heard the di Castri piece with Hannigan—as a fan of both. Hannigan has done some outstanding work over the years, such as Grisey's Quatre chants pour franchir le seuil (1997-98), his extraordinary final piece for soprano and orchestra. I've also seen her several times in Ligeti's Mysteries of the Macabre, which she does beautifully. (You can find a few versions on YouTube.)

And feel free to report on the upcoming Shostakovich!

-Bruce

brewski

At 2 pm (EST), a live broadcast from Carnegie Hall (audio only) with the Vienna Philharmonic and Franz Welser-Möst in Mahler's Ninth.

-Bruce

brewski

Tonight, this concert. I've never heard the orchestra. Derksen is a composer and cellist, originally from Alberta, Canada.

Orchestre Métropolitain
Yannick Nézet-Séguin, conductor
Cris Derksen, cello
Tony Siqi Yun, piano

Derksen Controlled Burn
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2
Sibelius Symphony No. 2

-Bruce

NorthNYMark

Quote from: brewski on March 05, 2024, 04:09:47 AMTonight, this concert. I've never heard the orchestra. Derksen is a composer and cellist, originally from Alberta, Canada.

Orchestre Métropolitain
Yannick Nézet-Séguin, conductor
Cris Derksen, cello
Tony Siqi Yun, piano

I'll be curious to hear how it went--I'm considering getting a ticket to see them perform Mahler's 6th in in Montreal in June.

Derksen Controlled Burn
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2
Sibelius Symphony No. 2

-Bruce

ultralinear

Tonight Santtu-Matias Rouvali conducts the Philharmonia in a program including what is billed as - and I can well believe is - the first UK performance of Nikolai Kapustin's Piano Concerto No.5

Audio stream available on the BBC from March 19th

brewski

Quote from: NorthNYMark on March 06, 2024, 06:54:39 PMI'll be curious to hear how it went--I'm considering getting a ticket to see them perform Mahler's 6th in in Montreal in June.

I enjoyed hearing the group a lot, and Yannick made the most of their strengths: excellent agility, and some very fine musicians. If you're going to be in Montreal anyway during that time, definitely go. I'd be curious to hear them in their own hall, too. Just checked their website, which is beautiful, and was impressed with the programming.

Yannick is doing Mahler 6 here next year, along with 3 and 9, which makes me wonder if a cycle is in the works.

-Bruce

Christo

Tomorrow: Bach - Johannes-Passion. Utrecht, Tivoli-Vredenburg: www.tivolivredenburg.nl/agenda/bach-johannes-passion-10-03-2024
Florilegium Musicum, Toonkunstkoor Utrecht
Titia van Heyst soprano, Florieke Beelen alt, Bernard Loonen evangelist, Vitali Rozynko Christ, Jan-Willem Schaafsma tenor, Marc Pantus bass
Jos Vermunt director

Next week Tuesday: Choral music by Cyrillus Kreek & Veljo Tormis. Utrecht, Tivoli-Vredenburg: www.tivolivredenburg.nl/agenda/estonian-philharmonic-chamber-choir-19-03-2024
Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir under good old Tõnu Kaljuste
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

brewski

Coming up this week at Carnegie. I've heard a lot of Shostakovich in the last few months, which is not a bad thing.

Alumni of the National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America
Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Conductor
Daniil Trifonov, Piano

Gershwin: Piano Concerto in F
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7, "Leningrad"

-Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 01, 2024, 07:11:51 AMA good celebration day lined up for next week - A lunchtime concert at Wigmore Hall with Alisa Weilerstein (cello) and Inon Barnatan (piano) performing the Britten and Brahms 2 cello sonatas. Followed by a visit to the Marquis pub in Covent Garden where vinyl records of 60's soul music are played including requests. Finished off with a Chinese meal in Soho. :P
How did you enjoy your evening Irons?

PD