What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on April 13, 2024, 09:23:57 AMTomorrow afternoon I have a choice of 3 concerts going on simultaneously: Indian music, classical recital and jazz quartet. I'm a regular at both the Indian and jazz series, so it's unfortunate. Then there's a free jazz / improv concert at 8 PM, which I'll probably skip (more than an hour away so makes for too late a night).
Wow!  What choices and decisions!  Hope that you enjoy whatever you decide upon.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on April 13, 2024, 08:49:52 AMAlas no. :(  We may have been in different parts of the hall.
Also, the big ground floor bar where I usually meet people was closed for redevelopment. On a future occasion I'd be very happy to meet ultralinear or anyone else - that would be fun.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

stingo

Fauré Berceuse
Dvořák "Songs My Mother Taught Me," from Gypsy Songs
Assad Menino
Boulanger Cantique
Fauré Papillon
Shostakovich Cello Sonata
Pärt Spiegel im Spiegel
Franck Violin Sonata, transcribed for cello and piano

Yo-Yo Ma Cello
Kathryn Stott Piano
Verizon Hall (soon to be Marian Anderson Hall!)
April 12, 2024

I had the good fortune of having this chamber concert as part of my Philadelphia Orchestra subscription, and I was determined not to miss it. The first five works were all linked in some way to Nadia Boulanger, and were a pleasure to  hear, especially since they were preformed without pause. I imagine these selections were meant to warm up the audience for the Shostakovich, which Ma described as telling the truth to power. Its ferocity stood in marked contrast to the introductory pieces, which I enjoyed.

After intermission, images from the Hubble and Webb telescopes were projected onto a large screen while the strains of Spiegel im Spiegel floated into the hall. This piece was my favorite, as the cello weaved in and around the piano's arpeggiated chords. Last but certainly not least was the lushly romantic Franck Violin Sonata, played with passion and lyricism for which the piece is known. They played a couple of encores which were not familiar to me, but I got the impression that encores were how they played together when not performing. It felt much more intimate than what was presented on the regular program.

All in all it was a very quick two hours, which I am so glad I got to experience.