Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Finally located a reasonably priced copy of the Andante issue of Toscanini's Meistersinger, recorded live at the 1937 Salzburg Festival...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on May 11, 2024, 12:10:23 AM

I have to hear the Tansman Cello Concerto now that I know it exists, but I can't find it streaming anywhere, so I bought a used CD.

That is a fun disc. All of those Tansman Koch recordings are worth owning.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

I bought these over the past few days:

And I pre-ordered these:

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler

Que

Quote from: ritter on May 18, 2024, 03:47:15 PMFinally located a reasonably priced copy of the Andante issue of Toscanini's Meistersinger, recorded live at the 1937 Salzburg Festival...

Nice! That series was good but copies are rare.

DavidW

@Le Buisson Ardent where did you find the Vanska Mahler box set?  I can't find it anywhere.  I've been waiting for this set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on May 19, 2024, 06:18:03 AM@Le Buisson Ardent where did you find the Vanska Mahler box set?  I can't find it anywhere.  I've been waiting for this set.

Oh...I pre-ordered it off of Amazon US. Here's the link:

Vänskä's Mahler cycle on BIS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Le Buisson Ardent on May 18, 2024, 08:34:03 PMI bought these over the past few days:

And I pre-ordered these:

Particularly looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Les Ballets Russes and also on the Aho one.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Le Buisson Ardent on May 19, 2024, 06:23:24 AMOh...I pre-ordered it off of Amazon US. Here's the link:

Vänskä's Mahler cycle on BIS

Aha!  I searched and couldn't find it before.  I have now preordered it.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Que

prémont

Quote from: Que on May 19, 2024, 10:24:34 AMHasn't that been superseded by this?

Perhaps, but I'm not familiar with the content and was curious to find out how many of the recordings I already own – probably quite a few.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 19, 2024, 08:40:11 AMParticularly looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Les Ballets Russes and also on the Aho one.

PD
I'm very curious about the Aho disc of course - and I don't think I've ever heard of Fauré's Penelope??

Florestan

Quote from: prémont on May 19, 2024, 10:09:49 AMDo you have a link to this?

For a general overview of the content, look here:

https://www.pointculture.be/mediatheque/musique-classique/guide-des-instruments-de-la-renaissance-aa4555

For the complete thing, I can let you have the booklet.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on May 19, 2024, 10:58:10 AMI'm very curious about the Aho disc of course - and I don't think I've ever heard of Fauré's Penelope??

Never heard of Faure's only opera?  :o
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 19, 2024, 11:19:53 AMNever heard of Faure's only opera?  :o
Maybe years ago and forgotten it, but yes  :o

Just means I have something to look forward to  8)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on May 19, 2024, 11:30:47 AMMaybe years ago and forgotten it, but yes  :o

Just means I have something to look forward to  8)

I've only heard the overture. Ansermet recording is unequaled, in my opinion.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on May 19, 2024, 10:58:10 AMI'm very curious about the Aho disc of course - and I don't think I've ever heard of Fauré's Penelope??
I've heard of Pénélope, but haven't listened to it...at least yet.

PD

p.s. Oh! I did buy a record today (LP).  It's an early digital recording (hopefully will sound o.k.).  It's of Beethoven's violin concerto with Kyung Wha Chung/the Vienna Phil./ and Kiril Kondrashin on London.
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Searching GMG shows I listened to it in November 2021, but made no comment on what it was like.
My now hazy memory says it sounded like what an opera by Faure would sound like. (Isn't that helpful?)

Since it's not clear from the cover image, the opera covers the concluding books of the Odyssey.

Edit: I did post about it in the Opera thread, but the comment was more discographical than musicological. But if you scroll there's follow up comments from Tsaraslondon and Ritter.
https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,26890.msg1406355.html#msg1406355

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk