What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Back to back weekends at the Dallas Symphony! Here's what's coming up Friday:

Andrea Basevi | Four Emily Dickinson Poems*
Prokofiev | Piano Concerto No. 2
Walton | Symphony No. 1

Denis Kozhukhin, piano
Vasily Petrenko, conductor
*with the Dallas Symphony children's chorus

The Basevi work is a world premiere.
This is the second time I'll see Walton 1 in Dallas - Carlos Kalmar conducted it five years ago. Glad this firecracker is entering the American mainstream repertoire.
This is also my first time seeing Petrenko live since visiting Liverpool in 2011 to see him conduct Elgar 2, and before that earlier in the year seeing him do DSCH 11 live in London.

brewski

I don't recall EVER hearing the Walton live. Good for Dallas!

Looking forward to this livestream on Friday:

Bach/Webern: Ricercar a 6
Mozart: Piano Concerto in D Major, KV 451
Bruckner: Symphony No. 6

Frankfurt Radio Symphony
Martin Helmchen, piano
John Storgårds, conductor

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Mapman

Coming up this weekend at the other DSO (Detroit):

JOHANNES BRAHMS: Violin Concerto in D Major
BÉLA BARTÓK: Concerto for Orchestra

David Afkham: conductor
Veronika Eberle: violin

I saw the Philadelphia orchestra perform the Bartók several years ago, and my university perform it last year. I'm still excited to see it again, since it's such a great piece!

ritter

Quote from: Mapman on May 21, 2024, 09:54:32 AMComing up this weekend at the other DSO (Detroit):

I saw the Philadelphia orchestra perform the Bartók several years ago, and my university perform it last year. I'm still excited to see it again, since it's such a great piece!
David Afkham has been at the helm of the Spanish National Orchestra here in Madrid since 2014, and is highly regarded.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: brewski on May 21, 2024, 06:38:33 AMI don't recall EVER hearing the Walton live. Good for Dallas!

Pappano is doing it next season at Carnegie with the LSO, along with Yunchan playing Rach 2. (Of course I'm going!)
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brian on May 21, 2024, 06:10:40 AMProkofiev | Piano Concerto No. 2
Walton | Symphony No. 1

Curiously enough, I heard this exact program with the CSO about 10 years ago, but the conductor was Semyon Bychkov. I think the pianist was Kirill Gerstein.

Yes, good to see the Walton getting more attention on this side of the ocean. CSO was also supposed to play it during the 2020-21 season, but it didn't happen for some reason  >:(
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Uhor

brewski

Quote from: Uhor on May 21, 2024, 04:20:22 PMAmazing Contemporary Narrative Oratorio

Don't know this composer at all, but do like the orchestra, conductor, and the Poe story, so I will find a time to work this into the queue. (At 90 minutes, it may be awhile. ;D )

Anyway, thanks for putting it on the radar.

-Bruce

brewski

Quote from: Mapman on May 21, 2024, 09:54:32 AMComing up this weekend at the other DSO (Detroit):

When I thought I had to have "a favorite piece" (thankfully, those days are gone), for many years that was it. Nothing like hearing it live. And it really shows off what an orchestra can do.

-Bruce

Wanderer

I won't be able to attend this recital, but it's such a wonderful program, I wish I could - the major highlight being Medtner's sublime G minor Sonata! I urge any esteemed members with access to Wigmore Hall in early June: don't miss this!

Chopin
    • Nocturne in B Op. 62 No. 1
    • Nocturne in C sharp minor Op. 27 No. 1
    • Nocturne in F sharp minor Op. 48 No. 2
    • Nocturne in F Op. 15 No. 1
    • Nocturne in G minor Op. 37 No. 1
    • Nocturne in E flat Op. 55 No. 2
    • Nocturne in C minor Op. 48 No. 1
  • Nocturne in E Op. 62 No. 2
[li]Medtner[/li]
[li]
  • Piano Sonata No. 3 in G minor Op. 22
[/li]
[li]Tchaikovsky[/li]
[li]
  • Dumka Op. 59
Stravinsky[/li]
[/list]

ultralinear

Quote from: Wanderer on May 21, 2024, 08:51:44 PMI won't be able to attend this recital, but it's such a wonderful program, I wish I could - the major highlight being Medtner's sublime G minor Sonata! I urge any esteemed members with access to Wigmore Hall in early June: don't miss this!

For those unable to attend there will be a livestream:

For some reason the YouTube link says 7th June but the concert is on the 4th. :o

Ian

I just got a couple of tickets for concert by the Orchestre Philharmonique Royale de Liège on Sunday June 23rd.

KODÁLY, Danses de Galánta
JONGEN, Concerto pour harpe
TCHAÏKOVSKI, Roméo et Juliette (version 1880)

Heads up for anyone living in Belgium (or not too far away from Liège), it's a free concert but tickets must be reserved on https://shop.utick.net/?pos=OPRL&module=ACTIVITYSERIEDETAILS&s=5DBFE09C-D186-0D9E-3F29-10453AC0790F

ultralinear

British music this evening (just for a change :)) :

Knussen  Cleveland Pictures
Britten  Double Concerto for Violin and Viola
Vaughan Williams  Symphony No 1, A Sea Symphony

BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
Sakari Oramo conductor
Vilde Frang violin
Lawrence Power viola
Morgan Pearse baritone
Sija Aalto soprano

Available to listen/download on BBC Radio 3 from 11 June.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ultralinear on May 23, 2024, 11:54:14 PMBritish music this evening (just for a change :)) :

Knussen  Cleveland Pictures
Britten  Double Concerto for Violin and Viola
Vaughan Williams  Symphony No 1, A Sea Symphony

BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
Sakari Oramo conductor
Vilde Frang violin
Lawrence Power viola
Morgan Pearse baritone
Sija Aalto soprano

Available to listen/download on BBC Radio 3 from 11 June.

Looks like an interesting program. I'm especially fond of Britten's Double Concerto for Violin and Viola, which is an earlier work. Frang and Power should be excellent as both of these soloists are remarkable. Of course, I love RVW's A Sea Symphony as well. One of the great first symphonies in my mind. I'm not familiar with the Knussen, but he's a pretty neat composer. I haven't listened to any of his music in ages, though.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler