Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on May 23, 2024, 06:00:02 PMProkofiev: Chout (WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln / Michail Jurowski)

Nice choice, Peter Power Pop. Chout is a fantastic ballet. That entire Prokofiev Michail Jurowski series on CPO is excellent.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 11:17:13 AMBought last night and earlier today:

Ropartz is musica incognita for me, but the Domingo Verdi recordings are first rate. I have them as part of this set.

I would urge you to get the Trovatore as well. It's one of the best recordings of that opera. The Aida is less outstanding, and I'll leave you to decide if you want Luisa Miller--it's not an opera I listen to very much.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 23, 2024, 06:07:11 PMRopartz is musica incognita for me, but the Domingo Verdi recordings are first rate. I have them as part of this set.

I would urge you to get the Trovatore as well. It's one of the best recordings of that opera. The Aida is less outstanding, and I'll leave you to decide if you want Luisa Miller--it's not an opera I listen to very much.

Ah very nice. Thanks for the tip, but which Il Trovatore with Domingo are you referring to? With Mehta or Levine?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 06:11:40 PMAh very nice. Thanks for the tip, but which Il Trovatore with Domingo are you referring to? With Mehta or Levine?

The one I have is Mehta.

The other one seems to be conducted by Guilini, not Levine. I don't have it.

Speaking of Guilini/Domingo/Verdi, I would suggest getting the Guilini Don Carlo. I think it's better than the one you have in the Muti set you're currently listening in several ways--one of them being Domingo is much better in the role than Pavarotti.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 23, 2024, 06:24:26 PMThe one I have is Mehta.

The other one seems to be conducted by Guilini, not Levine. I don't have it.

Speaking of Guilini/Domingo/Verdi, I would suggest getting the Guilini Don Carlo. I think it's better than the one you have in the Muti set you're currently listening in several ways--one of them being Domingo is much better in the role than Pavarotti.

Here's the one with Domingo with Levine at the helm I was referring to:

I'll keep the Don Carlo Giulini in mind, so thanks for the suggestion. I'm probably good on Verdi right as also have The Complete Works Decca box set coming (75 CDs) coming in addition to those Levine recordings I bought. Plus, I haven't even begun to explore the Verdi Muti box set yet --- I've only heard Macbeth and La Traviata so far.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 06:03:51 PMNice choice, Peter Power Pop. Chout is a fantastic ballet. That entire Prokofiev Michail Jurowski series on CPO is excellent.

Thanks, MI.

I saw it cheap on eBay and pounced.

Prokofiev is one of my favourite composers, but his lesser-known ballets are works that I've never explored in any depth. (I heard the Rozhdestvensky 8-CD collection of Prokofiev ballets – including Chout – ages ago but don't remember them.)

Anyway, I'm thankful that Prokofiev wrote as much music as he did. So much to discover!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on May 23, 2024, 07:32:53 PMThanks, MI.

I saw it cheap on eBay and pounced.

Prokofiev is one of my favourite composers, but his lesser-known ballets are works that I've never explored in any depth. (I heard the Rozhdestvensky 8-CD collection of Prokofiev ballets – including Chout – ages ago but don't remember them.)

Anyway, I'm thankful that Prokofiev wrote as much music as he did. So much to discover!

Yes, Prokofiev was certainly a fantastic composer. That Rozhdestvensky set is awesome, but here's the iteration I own of it:

Two of the unknown ballets that really struck me were Le pas d'acier and On the Dnieper. Over the years, I've also really grown to love The Stone Flower, which is probably his longest ballet. There's a particular movement in The Stone Flower titled Ural Rhapsody that really is a miniature masterpiece all of its own. Anyway, great stuff!

Mirror Image

Oh...I forgot to another purchase that will go with those Verdi Levine recordings I having coming:

I'll probably end up buying more recordings of Verdi's Requiem at some point, but I've got three of them so far: Solti (Decca), Muti (Warner) and now Giulini (EMI).

DavidW

I had decided that I wanted physical copies of the Penderecki orchestral works box (Naxos) and V-L symphonies (Naxos).  Ordered from JPC last week and they arrived yesterday! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on May 24, 2024, 04:58:29 AMI had decided that I wanted physical copies of the Penderecki orchestral works box (Naxos) and V-L symphonies (Naxos).  Ordered from JPC last week and they arrived yesterday! :)

Fine choices, both.  8)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I'm not crazy about Shchedrin's Symphony No. 2, but Stikhira is a marvelous work that I previously knew from a Rostropovich performance that I listened to via YouTube. I found the work by accidently actually. Anyway, to hear this work conducted by Rozhdestvensky will be interesting.

steve ridgway

Just ordered this used 7 CD R. Strauss box I found at a good price.

JBS

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 25, 2024, 09:54:52 AMJust ordered this used 7 CD R. Strauss box I found at a good price.

Excellent set. I have it with a slightly different cover

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 07:38:59 PMYes, Prokofiev was certainly a fantastic composer. That Rozhdestvensky set is awesome, but here's the iteration I own of it:

Two of the unknown ballets that really struck me were Le pas d'acier and On the Dnieper. Over the years, I've also really grown to love The Stone Flower, which is probably his longest ballet. There's a particular movement in The Stone Flower titled Ural Rhapsody that really is a miniature masterpiece all of its own. Anyway, great stuff!

I can't find the complete Rozhdestvensky Prokofiev set, but I did find this CD featuring Le pas d'acier and On the Dnieper on eBay:

I might have to leap on that one too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on May 25, 2024, 09:10:55 PMI can't find the complete Rozhdestvensky Prokofiev set, but I did find this CD featuring Le pas d'acier and On the Dnieper on eBay:

I might have to leap on that one too.

Yeah, there were two iterations of the Rozhdestvensky Prokofiev ballet box set and they've been OOP for quite some time. If I were you, I'd jump on that recording you found on eBay.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2024, 09:15:17 PMYeah, there were two iterations of the Rozhdestvensky Prokofiev ballet box set and they've been OOP for quite some time. If I were you, I'd jump on that recording you found on eBay.

I think I will.

I'll make it Prokofiev Month.

Brian

Arkivmusic had the Solomons Haydn box on Weekend Special, and then I added more new stuff until I hit free shipping at $150.

Bonus: Arkivmusic does not charge sales tax for my state. hmmmmmm....  :o might not be wise on their part, but saved me about $14!

Compared to Amazon, total list price savings across the four boxes is just $1, but the no tax thing...well, that's certainly good to know!